Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S LR high pitched whine

Stevehmk

Oct 13, 2021
Bay Area
I’ve seen posts about this issue on the MY and M3 forums, but not for the refreshed model S. I get a high pitched whine (sounds like a dental instrument) during acceleration that is most noticeable around 30-70mph. It comes and goes and oscillates at times too. In the MY forum they mention a missing penthouse perimeter seal that fixed the issue on some cars. I have a service scheduled, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and resolution for their refreshed Model S. Thanks.

Reactions: Mil72-Frenchy
I’ve seen posts about this issue on the MY and M3 forums, but not for the refreshed model S. I get a high pitched whine (sounds like a dental instrument) during acceleration that is most noticeable around 30-70mph. It comes and goes and oscillates at times too. In the MY forum they mention a missing penthouse perimeter seal that fixed the issue on some cars. I have a service scheduled, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and resolution for their refreshed Model S. Thanks.
Any update on your service? Got fixed?

Stevehmk

Oct 13, 2021
Bay Area
I finally was able to get my car into service and they told me that the sound was “normal” and similar to other refreshed Model S drive unit sounds. I took a video of the sound in question. You have to turn up the volume to hear it over the road noise. Is this normal? Thanks.

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
I finally was able to get my car into service and they told me that the sound was “normal” and similar to other refreshed Model S drive unit sounds. I took a video of the sound in question. You have to turn up the volume to hear it over the road noise. Is this normal? Thanks.
My car does not make that sound. That is not normal to me, but I have a Plaid. Anyone else with a Model S want to chime in here?

Reactions: Muzzman1
I have Model Y and I have similar whining sound. I did a Telsa service earlier this month and I was told this is 'normal'. Seems like I have to live with it. It makes me uncomfortable, especially when I drive alone. (It is kind of ignored when having others in the car and talking). Music on also helps, otherwise, I don't know what else I can do.

Hey original post. does that sound goes away for you from time to time?

Muzzman1

Feb 8, 2014
Los Angeles

My 85D did this from day one and it got progressively worse. When it was bad it was as loud as your video. I took it in and got a new front DU.

Edit: I could make the sound go away when I turned on "range mode". It was totally on/off when I did. You can use that to help diagnosis. (if the car has "range mode" option. I'm not sure if all models do anymore.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 3.20.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 3.20.06 PM.png
    532.3 KB · Views: 6

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC