Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S LR high pitched whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve seen posts about this issue on the MY and M3 forums, but not for the refreshed model S. I get a high pitched whine (sounds like a dental instrument) during acceleration that is most noticeable around 30-70mph. It comes and goes and oscillates at times too. In the MY forum they mention a missing penthouse perimeter seal that fixed the issue on some cars. I have a service scheduled, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and resolution for their refreshed Model S. Thanks.

Reactions: Mil72-Frenchy
I’ve seen posts about this issue on the MY and M3 forums, but not for the refreshed model S. I get a high pitched whine (sounds like a dental instrument) during acceleration that is most noticeable around 30-70mph. It comes and goes and oscillates at times too. In the MY forum they mention a missing penthouse perimeter seal that fixed the issue on some cars. I have a service scheduled, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and resolution for their refreshed Model S. Thanks.
Any update on your service? Got fixed?

I finally was able to get my car into service and they told me that the sound was “normal” and similar to other refreshed Model S drive unit sounds. I took a video of the sound in question. You have to turn up the volume to hear it over the road noise. Is this normal? Thanks.

I finally was able to get my car into service and they told me that the sound was “normal” and similar to other refreshed Model S drive unit sounds. I took a video of the sound in question. You have to turn up the volume to hear it over the road noise. Is this normal? Thanks.
My car does not make that sound. That is not normal to me, but I have a Plaid. Anyone else with a Model S want to chime in here?

Reactions: Muzzman1
I have Model Y and I have similar whining sound. I did a Telsa service earlier this month and I was told this is 'normal'. Seems like I have to live with it. It makes me uncomfortable, especially when I drive alone. (It is kind of ignored when having others in the car and talking). Music on also helps, otherwise, I don't know what else I can do.

My 85D did this from day one and it got progressively worse. When it was bad it was as loud as your video. I took it in and got a new front DU.

Edit: I could make the sound go away when I turned on "range mode". It was totally on/off when I did. You can use that to help diagnosis. (if the car has "range mode" option. I'm not sure if all models do anymore.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 3.20.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 3.20.06 PM.png
    532.3 KB · Views: 222
The similar milling noise happened to my MS 2014 2 months ago had prompt Tesla replaced Drive Unit (reman unit), but similar milling sound on my MS 2021, Tesla also said it is normal.. I asked Tesla then why they replaced DU on my 2014, they said " they did not sound similar" .
Just matter of time the milling sound will become louder when the DU's seal leaks bigger prompt more airs come in while driving.

Reactions: jacie6056
The video below is from a Lucid commercial but it does have a clip of Model S accelerating - with the familiar whining sound.

So is the whining/Jet engine noise just part of Model S experience?

Btw., I had a 2017 100D loaner recently and it did not have that noise.