Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#14) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered FSD Beta's exciting v11 update, Enhanced Autopilot coming to the U.S. and Canada, and more!

2021 Model S LR+ sale ideas while I wait for my 2022 LR+

Hey, soooo Im the proud owner of a 2022 Model S LR+ with about 10k miles, blue over the cream interior and FSD. Retail on this is currently in the $80-90k range which is a bit more than I paid for the car at $69,420 + options and tax.

I’ve got an order for a 2022 LR+, same spec with an order total cost of $93k and a Feb estimated delivery date.

Here’s my plan, y’all tell me if I’m crazy or not. Sell the 21 S for as much as possible, probably north of $80k net. Pocket the proceeds and order a M3P for $57k to drive for the six months I need to wait for the 22 S to be ready.

If my numbers are right, I’ll pocket $20-30k for about six months. Then the trade for the 22 S will be pretty inexpensive.

Am I crazy?

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: foos and jebinc

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
Hey, soooo Im the proud owner of a 2022 Model S LR+ with about 10k miles, blue over the cream interior and FSD. Retail on this is currently in the $80-90k range which is a bit more than I paid for the car at $69,420 + options and tax.

I’ve got an order for a 2022 LR+, same spec with an order total cost of $93k and a Feb estimated delivery date.

Here’s my plan, y’all tell me if I’m crazy or not. Sell the 21 S for as much as possible, probably north of $80k net. Pocket the proceeds and order a M3P for $57k to drive for the six months I need to wait for the 22 S to be ready.

If my numbers are right, I’ll pocket $20-30k for about six months. Then the trade for the 22 S will be pretty inexpensive.

Am I crazy?
Yes you are crazy. You’re talking about running through 3 cars. That means you’re paying sales tax 3 times and registration fees 3 times. AND to top it off, you bought FSD already.

All this to ultimately end up with the same vehicle.

Yes you are crazy. You’re talking about running through 3 cars. That means you’re paying sales tax 3 times and registration fees 3 times. AND to top it off, you bought FSD already.

All this to ultimately end up with the same vehicle.
Sales tax and registration on the 21 Model S was $5650, the Model 3P would be $3800. I’m lucky to live in a low tax area. Doesn’t seem like a deal breaker to me.

HankLloydRight

No Roads
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2014
Connecticut
You buy/sell three cars, only to end up with $20k in cash for three months? And end up in the exact same car you have now? That's not crazy. That's insane.

edit to add: You're also not including the depreciation hit on the M3P when you go to sell it six months later as a used car. That will eat a bug chunk of your "profit".

Last edited:

Am I crazy?

Legit wacko. Unless you've been smoking some electric lettuce early this morning.:)

I got tired just reading that and thinking of the effort it would take to pull off.

HankLloydRight

No Roads
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2014
Connecticut
Unless I misunderstood your plan, here's my take on it:

1629384437915.png

Reactions: Sheefo2k and glide
Ok, I didn't catch that. The numbers still don't change. He'd be better off skipping the M3P all together and just waiting, that way he's only out $8k and without the hassles.
Yup! I didn't think I needed to spell out that one car is pre-refresh and the other is post refresh. Y'all know this, but the extra 120 horsepower, ventilated seats, and massively upgraded interior all have value to me. If I could just give $8k and upgrade, that would be a no brainer.

And thanks for running the numbers, you largely confirmed me theory. The biggest factor is what resale value is on the cars and that's unfortunately the area where I have the least visibility. KBB doesn't have a resale value which have been my go to source for a while.

How can I determine what the market is for my current car, and the historical resale values for the M3P?

• Disagree
Reactions: foos

bmms8

Mar 17, 2016
CA
Yup! I didn't think I needed to spell out that one car is pre-refresh and the other is post refresh. Y'all know this, but the extra 120 horsepower, ventilated seats, and massively upgraded interior all have value to me. If I could just give $8k and upgrade, that would be a no brainer.

And thanks for running the numbers, you largely confirmed me theory. The biggest factor is what resale value is on the cars and that's unfortunately the area where I have the least visibility. KBB doesn't have a resale value which have been my go to source for a while.

How can I determine what the market is for my current car, and the historical resale values for the M3P?
I would buy a used Model 3, cheapest as possible, and sell it when the time comes

That isn’t going to last forever but at this point, it’s best to buy new if you plan on keeping it. If not, maybe look into a lease.
That’s a good point! Thanks. I’m going to shop around a bit for the best resale value I can get on the Model S. If I can find a valuation over $80k I think the numbers make enough sense for me to do it.

Am I crazy?
I think the best option is to keep the current S and sell it when you get the new refresh MA. Least hassle option. You may still get a good price for your current MS in the future.

Reactions: bllydia

leeh97

RN1148 Red, blk, 19s
Dec 21, 2019
San jose ca

Am I crazy?
You currently own 2022 MS LR+as your first sentence states.

I don't get it, did you also buy a DeLorean from Marty Mcfly? You time traveled to get a 2022? Did Musk also release a new version called LR+ in your time travels.

Personally I'd stick with the DeLorean if you got that Flux capacitor.

• Funny
Reactions: shamoo and foos

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC