Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S LR+ sale ideas while I wait for my 2022 LR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, soooo Im the proud owner of a 2022 Model S LR+ with about 10k miles, blue over the cream interior and FSD. Retail on this is currently in the $80-90k range which is a bit more than I paid for the car at $69,420 + options and tax.

I’ve got an order for a 2022 LR+, same spec with an order total cost of $93k and a Feb estimated delivery date.

Here’s my plan, y’all tell me if I’m crazy or not. Sell the 21 S for as much as possible, probably north of $80k net. Pocket the proceeds and order a M3P for $57k to drive for the six months I need to wait for the 22 S to be ready.

If my numbers are right, I’ll pocket $20-30k for about six months. Then the trade for the 22 S will be pretty inexpensive.

Am I crazy?

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: foos and jebinc
Hey, soooo Im the proud owner of a 2022 Model S LR+ with about 10k miles, blue over the cream interior and FSD. Retail on this is currently in the $80-90k range which is a bit more than I paid for the car at $69,420 + options and tax.

I’ve got an order for a 2022 LR+, same spec with an order total cost of $93k and a Feb estimated delivery date.

Here’s my plan, y’all tell me if I’m crazy or not. Sell the 21 S for as much as possible, probably north of $80k net. Pocket the proceeds and order a M3P for $57k to drive for the six months I need to wait for the 22 S to be ready.

If my numbers are right, I’ll pocket $20-30k for about six months. Then the trade for the 22 S will be pretty inexpensive.

Am I crazy?
Yes you are crazy. You’re talking about running through 3 cars. That means you’re paying sales tax 3 times and registration fees 3 times. AND to top it off, you bought FSD already.

All this to ultimately end up with the same vehicle.

Yes you are crazy. You’re talking about running through 3 cars. That means you’re paying sales tax 3 times and registration fees 3 times. AND to top it off, you bought FSD already.

All this to ultimately end up with the same vehicle.
Sales tax and registration on the 21 Model S was $5650, the Model 3P would be $3800. I’m lucky to live in a low tax area. Doesn’t seem like a deal breaker to me.

You buy/sell three cars, only to end up with $20k in cash for three months? And end up in the exact same car you have now? That's not crazy. That's insane.

edit to add: You're also not including the depreciation hit on the M3P when you go to sell it six months later as a used car. That will eat a bug chunk of your "profit".

Last edited:

Am I crazy?

Legit wacko. Unless you've been smoking some electric lettuce early this morning.:)

I got tired just reading that and thinking of the effort it would take to pull off.

Unless I misunderstood your plan, here's my take on it:

1629384437915.png

Reactions: Sheefo2k and glide
Ok, I didn't catch that. The numbers still don't change. He'd be better off skipping the M3P all together and just waiting, that way he's only out $8k and without the hassles.
Yup! I didn't think I needed to spell out that one car is pre-refresh and the other is post refresh. Y'all know this, but the extra 120 horsepower, ventilated seats, and massively upgraded interior all have value to me. If I could just give $8k and upgrade, that would be a no brainer.

And thanks for running the numbers, you largely confirmed me theory. The biggest factor is what resale value is on the cars and that's unfortunately the area where I have the least visibility. KBB doesn't have a resale value which have been my go to source for a while.

How can I determine what the market is for my current car, and the historical resale values for the M3P?

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
Yup! I didn't think I needed to spell out that one car is pre-refresh and the other is post refresh. Y'all know this, but the extra 120 horsepower, ventilated seats, and massively upgraded interior all have value to me. If I could just give $8k and upgrade, that would be a no brainer.

And thanks for running the numbers, you largely confirmed me theory. The biggest factor is what resale value is on the cars and that's unfortunately the area where I have the least visibility. KBB doesn't have a resale value which have been my go to source for a while.

How can I determine what the market is for my current car, and the historical resale values for the M3P?
I would buy a used Model 3, cheapest as possible, and sell it when the time comes

Am I crazy?
I think the best option is to keep the current S and sell it when you get the new refresh MA. Least hassle option. You may still get a good price for your current MS in the future.

Reactions: bllydia

Am I crazy?
You currently own 2022 MS LR+as your first sentence states.

I don't get it, did you also buy a DeLorean from Marty Mcfly? You time traveled to get a 2022? Did Musk also release a new version called LR+ in your time travels.

Personally I'd stick with the DeLorean if you got that Flux capacitor.

• Funny
Reactions: shamoo and foos