Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Noise canceling speakers in seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021+ Model S/X is equipped with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC). Microphones located in the front seats detect the amount of external road noise that can be heard inside the cabin. The system then automatically generates noise-canceling sounds through the speakers, minimizing the amount of road noise that you can hear.

I can't tell any difference with it on or off. ZERO at any speed or road condition. With all fans off and all windows up ect.

Can you guys tell if it's on or off?

• Disagree
Reactions: hollow23
2021+ Model S/X is equipped with Active Noise Cancellation (ANC). Microphones located in the front seats detect the amount of external road noise that can be heard inside the cabin. The system then automatically generates noise-canceling sounds through the speakers, minimizing the amount of road noise that you can hear.

I can't tell any difference with it on or off. ZERO at any speed or road condition. With all fans off and all windows up ect.

Nope. They don’t work. Total snake oil that was touted as a “feature” that they just could not figure out how to implement.

ANC works really well actually. I think it only works, however, when there is music playing at minimum level 5. I dont believe it works solely without anything running through the main speakers-- which is why many people, including myself would have thought it's garbage.

Once you have some music running at at least level 5, i've noticed, you will hear some faint counter frequencies that are trying to cancel those unwanted road noises.

I also used to think it didn't work, but once you kind of figure out when or how to activate it, it's really cool and it keeps the cabin really quite.

I first noticed it when I had music playing at a louder volume and when i suddenly paused my music I could hear the counter frequencies for a slight second after. This is how i determined it only works at when music or something is playing.

Let me know otherwise, but I do believe in the technology. It might improve down the road, but so far it seems to work for me.

ANC works really well actually. I think it only works, however, when there is music playing at minimum level 5. I dont believe it works solely without anything running through the main speakers-- which is why many people, including myself would have thought it's garbage.

Once you have some music running at at least level 5, i've noticed, you will hear some faint counter frequencies that are trying to cancel those unwanted road noises.

I also used to think it didn't work, but once you kind of figure out when or how to activate it, it's really cool and it keeps the cabin really quite.

I first noticed it when I had music playing at a louder volume and when i suddenly paused my music I could hear the counter frequencies for a slight second after. This is how i determined it only works at when music or something is playing.

Let me know otherwise, but I do believe in the technology. It might improve down the road, but so far it seems to work for me.
On my Jeep Summit, ANC was directly implemented in the amp. It didn’t matter what the preamp was doing, that is, it didn’t matter if music was playing or what volume it was at. That’s really how it should be implemented.

But I had wondered about your hunch too. I plan to play a “silence” track at modest volume and test that out. Pretty easy to do.

Also on numerous, more aggressive, noise cancelation devices (Jeep,Bose,Apple) I’ve never “heard” cancelation frequencies. Only reduced noise. If you hear them it’s not working, that would be adding noise. All were volume and music independent.

Everything you said may be true though. I kind of hope not though :)

I have a 2022 Model S and the ANC works. It sounds like white noise coming from the back seat although it is actually coming from the shoulder area of the front seats. I am not convinced that it noticeably reduces cabin noise...
ANC should not sound like white noise. Either that the speaker in the headrest is broken or you are hearing noise from someplace else.

It works as well as FSD for $12k works.
Well FSD does work to some extent. Now the cost of $12K today is certainly arguable. But I just bought FSD for the 3rd time. This time for $10K. Change lane with blinker (which for me, makes up for weak implementation of blind spot warning) and beep on green light is why I bought it and do get something for it. So some features of FSD do work. And for others there are FSD features that work for them, Including FSD Beta city streets (for some folks).

Yes and no. It does work but not to a 100% great level (yet).

When it first turned on, it was very inconsistent and almost no improvement ever. It seems to have evolved over the software updates. It absolutely diminishes the noise but not on all roads and in all conditions - when it does work it is a nice feature. For me to say it truly works, it needs to be more noticeable and consistent on its reduction.

I have not played with it at different music levels to see if that has any bearing.

I think like many things Tesla, it will evolve and eventually get there.

BTW, those are mics in the seats and not speakers.

Reactions: r3nd3r
ANC should not sound like white noise. Either that the speaker in the headrest is broken or you are hearing noise from someplace else.
i do see what he means when saying white noise... but it's not white noise, its more like a counter frequency, on the lower side, to try and reduce road noises.

like i said, you hear it ever so slightly for a second after you pause your music when your ANC system is calibrated, sometimes you notice it more than others.

just my experience. it's not perfect, but i like it picasso.