Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Blackvue Dashcam Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I did a search in the entire forum for "Blackvue Plaid" and had no hits. The auto suggestion feature of the search engine suggested this link, but it was for a Model 3 and had no bearing on my situation.

I was fortunate enough in my P90D to have the unused 12v constant power plug (unused EU spec for something?) in the rear view mirror assembly. I assume my Plaid does not have this "feature". My camera (DR750X-2ch) claims a maximum draw (according to the BV website) of 3.8W per hour or about .32A. Very tiny draw. I suspect I could come off the overhead lights in the rear view mirror console (they seem to have power all the time) and are likely on a 1A minimum fuse. I did some prying on the black plastic trim, but it didn't seem to want to come off and I didn't want to break it. Hidden tabs or something?

Anyone else install a dashcam in the Plaid yet? The OEM Sentry system has terrible video and no sound. Worthless.

..Anyone else install a dashcam in the Plaid yet?...

I don't know about the 2021 Model S and X (and Plaid version) but 2012 through the 2020 year models have an easily accessible OBDII port above the fake (dead) left pedal where I can use as a constant 12V source.

I have not heard any confirmation of its same existence for 2021 Model S and X so far.

I have been experiencing some weird issues with my Plaid's sentry cameras as while I am driving the rear camera will sometimes start showing a purple+green after-image of everything it passes over. I assumed this was probably due to the FSD beta using the IR camera to detect the road and such. However, after awhile the whole screen will freeze up so I end up having to reboot the system while I am driving since I can't see how fast I am going anymore.

With that in mind I kind of think it is a safer bet to also install a dash cam incase the computer freezes and sometimes happens I have a backup on catching what the heck happened. I also wanted to wire up my radar detector as well but I noticed that the new MS has no real way of wiring things up easily. In the older MS there was a plastic panel above the mirror where you could tap into some unused wires but now I don't see anything. Hopefully as more owners get their orders there will be more people willing to dismantle their whole interior to find out all the hidden compartments and wiring.

Have the same camera on my old car, was going to sell with the car but if you find a solution I’m interested. Sentry mode is garbage in terms of narrow angle cameras and no sound. The only benefit to it is that there’s 4 cameras

If it works anything like the Model 3, just tap the 12V accessory socket. It'll always be energized when Sentry Mode is on, and if you want to use Blackvue parking mode, you'll want to use Sentry Mode too. The video quality may suck, but it can get angles the Blackvue can't.

Reactions: Ramphex
I have the electronics knowledge, but not the "remove the black plastic thing behind the rear view mirror" knowledge. That was a majority of the reason I started the thread. I've pried and poked on that piece, but it looks rather fragile and I'd prefer not to break it. I assume it would take weeks to get a replacement.

Andrew of Tesla Plaid Channel on YouTube installed this. He’s responsive to comments and questions on his videos and just posted one advocating these (so your question would be relevant to his video) in case you wanted to ask him.
Looked for something related to dashcam install, but he seems to only post race videos...

Is this the correct channel?

Looked for something related to dashcam install, but he seems to only post race videos...

Is this the correct channel?

he mentions it in this video and provides a link in the video description…I just noticed the link is hosted by blackvue featuring Andrew but if you post the query on the above video I could see him answering

Reactions: Dameon
I'm interested in installing my Blackvue into a 2024 Model S but noticed that the little grill above the rear view mirror is not present so I'm not sure where people are tapping into power. I couldn't seem to find any YouTube videos showing the newer Model S installation. Anyone have any advice?

I'm interested in installing my Blackvue into a 2024 Model S but noticed that the little grill above the rear view mirror is not present so I'm not sure where people are tapping into power. I couldn't seem to find any YouTube videos showing the newer Model S installation. Anyone have any advice?
The 2021 refresh took away any easy power points to hook to in the rear view mirror cluster. I just ran my power wire down to the OBD2 port and used an OBD-to-female 12v adapter.

I just had to re-examine my install as I just upgraded from the DR750X-2CH to the DR970X-2CH a couple weeks ago.