Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Brake Failure - At lower speeds.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well isn't that a lucky experience. All that I know so far is that they said the engineers for the car itself and then specifically for the brakes were already involved by the next morning when I went to get the loaner.
Sorry this happened, but glad to hear engineering is looking at logs.

What exactly have they said so far?

As for the seatbelt issue.... did she 100% positively notice that it locked when she buckled up and then later it was released ? Tesla's have a lot of magic but I believe the seatbelt latch/unlatch is old school manual so either the latch did not lock when inserted or was inadvertently touched and released the belt. There is not much detail on that situation so this is all I can think of.

Sorry this happened, but glad to hear engineering is looking at logs.

What exactly have they said so far?

All that they have said so far is that they are still reviewing everything and they will follow up with me on Monday.

As for the seatbelt issue.... did she 100% positively notice that it locked when she buckled up and then later it was released ? Tesla's have a lot of magic but I believe the seatbelt latch/unlatch is old school manual so either the latch did not lock when inserted or was inadvertently touched and released the belt. There is not much detail on that situation so this is all I can think of.
Regarding the seatbelt, it was latched. However, the belt itself did not lock tight from the impact or slamming the break pedal to the floor.

• Informative
Reactions: Proppilot
One thing to keep in mind is. The brakes are standard hydraulic brakes. With assist. Just like in an ICE if you loose engine you lose assist. If something goes bad in a Tesla you lose assist, you should still have brakes. You should be able to stop if you stomp on them real hard. I’ve never tested that but that is my understanding.

One thing to keep in mind is. The brakes are standard hydraulic brakes. With assist. Just like in an ICE if you loose engine you lose assist. If something goes bad in a Tesla you lose assist, you should still have brakes. You should be able to stop if you stomp on them real hard. I’ve never tested that but that is my understanding.
Yeah, I’m recognizing that now. She had the pedal to the floor. With only a clicking sound as a result.

Lots of speculation. Strange that OP would make the post and then Ghost it. Happened 3 weeks ago, and was supposed to get response from Tesla engineering, but never followed up. Tesla will be able to review all throttle and brake positions at the time of the event, but nothing from the OP about their response.
Difficult to tell for sure is this is a real event from the OP or someone wanting to damage the Tesla reputation.
Hopefully we will soon hear more details.

It's April now--updates please?
Car is still under review at this time. Review can take another 30-60 days is what they have told me.

Lots of speculation. Strange that OP would make the post and then Ghost it. Happened 3 weeks ago, and was supposed to get response from Tesla engineering, but never followed up. Tesla will be able to review all throttle and brake positions at the time of the event, but nothing from the OP about their response.
Difficult to tell for sure is this is a real event from the OP or someone wanting to damage the Tesla reputation.
Hopefully we will soon hear more details.
I haven’t ghosted it, there is just little to update at this time. It is a real event and damaging Tesla isn’t my goal. Especially since this is my third Tesla.

Please keep us posted as this seems to be a very interesting situation.
As this review drags on, all I have is the list of the damage and the one recall they want to also take care. They have also put in there the “Retrofit Hydraulic Control Unit Wake-Up Wire.” This seems to be the hardest piece of equipment to find any information about, but I’m starting to wonder if it’s the cause because I did have one tech admit that something similar had been caused by that piece of equipment failing to bring the car to being fully awake.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Just reading this. Like many have stated the brakes are hydraulic. Regardless of boost, if the hydraulic portion failed to where the pedal traveled to the floor, it wouldn't fix itself. it would continue to go the floor every time it was pressed afterward. Pregnancy brain is real and should be considered as a possibility.

Nothing surprises me anymore with Tesla, so please don’t take this as discounting the chance of a defect…

1) hydraulic loop is independent. It can however be defeated by a false/bad command to activate anti-lock brakes since that module has the capability to release brake pressure. I’m extremely surprised that it would “antilock” if it failed to wake. That should be impossible… Very hard to see the relationship between the wake up signal and this incident.

2) wet ceramic brake pads have almost zero braking force. I’ve been scared by this leaving my driveway after a rain in my BMW. Might be part of the story.

3) A fully charged battery won’t regen so lifting off the accelerator won’t help. Another part.

4) I don’t know if the seat belt locking or not is relevant. Historically those were centripetal mechanisms activated by deceleration or rapid deployment of the belt. There is a pyrotechnic tensioner, but that would only deploy with the airbags. There may be an electronically controlled pretensioner, but I don’t know for sure and don’t know what signal would activate it.

I agree that nothing with Tesla surprises me anymore, and would really like to understand this recall along with why adding a new electrical cable for anything is necessary. On the surface, it sounds like quite a manual kludge to fix something serious.