Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid/LR Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VikH

Supporting Member
Nov 23, 2015
Midwest, USA
This Model S fire was posted on Reddit earlier today. I just saw it and noticed it’s a refresh Model S. Anyone on here? Hope everyone is okay.

Those look like 18650 batteries to me- so that may answer the question that many have had about the new battery pack. I feel sorry for the owner of that car, I wonder what happened and if Tesla's engineers are already on their way to examine the remains

Are we sure it’s a Plaid? They just started deliveries and photos elsewhere show a permanent license plate. Around here it takes a couple months to get one so no way a car delivered in the last two weeks would have permanent plates already.

Is the front fascia specific to the plaid or does it share it will the 2020 LR?

Go find out what the story is from your neighbors when you return. Super strange
already sent a couple texts

daytime location via google
rose1.jpg
rose2.jpg

Last edited:
Are we sure it’s a Plaid? They just started deliveries and photos elsewhere show a permanent license plate. Around here it takes a couple months to get one so no way a car delivered in the last two weeks would have permanent plates already.

You can't bring your old plate from a previous car onto a new one?
And yes its a plaid, you can tell its a 2021 from the front bumper and it says Plaid on the back

Reactions: Platini
I guess a rite of passage into the super car status is letting a few of them burn to the ground... Seemed to work out fine for Ferrari, Lamborghini and McLaren...

I do think it would be awful clever of the owner if the story turns out to be they noticed it starting to smoke/burn and used smart summon to move it as far away as they could possibly get it to go.

As for the plates - I would guess different rules for each state. I know in TX we can't buy directly - so I can walk into the DMV to register the car, pay taxes and get plates all in the same transaction.

Reactions: Radish11

Plate exchange from the old car. Very common.

As for the plates - I would guess different rules for each state. I know in TX we can't buy directly - so I can walk into the DMV to register the car, pay taxes and get plates all in the same transaction.
In NV you get the plates when you register the car at the DMV, Same in CA. the reason there is those temp tags people always have is because they bought the car from a dealership and the dealer is doing the DMV crap so the plates come in the mail at a later date. Also in CA you can transfer your tags from one car to the next, this is common if someone has personalized tags or if they just have a random plate that is super easy to remember.
So perhaps PA has a similar method of getting/moving tags.

why are you surprised its 18650 batteries? its well documented that they were using them with the redesigned pack and only the plaid+ was potentially supposed to have the new batteries.
I wasn't surprised, but I know there have been many people that speculated they had changed the battery to something other than 18650 in the new S's This confirms (in my opinion) that they indeed are still using 18650 batteries. (for now) I too wonder what Tesla's logs showed them before the fire consumed the car.