Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Plaid Steering Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there!

I have a 2021 Model S Plaid (21-inch arachnid rims, on Goodyear all-season tires)with approximately 24,000 miles.

The steering yoke vibrates or shakes at highway speeds, usually 74-85 MPH.

Steps I have taken to address this issue.
I have taken the rims off the vehicle and verified that they are not warped or bent (commercial shop)

I have mounted and balanced the tires using a road-force balancer, and I have observed the machine shows they are all within specification.

I have taken the Vehicle to Tesla, who attempted to correct the issue by balancing. Tesla conducted steering calibration and verified that all suspension components were within specification.

The issue remains; I have uploaded a short video clip of this in action. It is very difficult to get a good camera angle to capture this.

I am seeking any constructive feedback in regard to fixing this issue.

Hello there!

I have a 2021 Model S Plaid (21-inch arachnid rims, on Goodyear all-season tires)with approximately 24,000 miles.

The steering yoke vibrates or shakes at highway speeds, usually 74-85 MPH.

Steps I have taken to address this issue.
I have taken the rims off the vehicle and verified that they are not warped or bent (commercial shop)

I have mounted and balanced the tires using a road-force balancer, and I have observed the machine shows they are all within specification.

I have taken the Vehicle to Tesla, who attempted to correct the issue by balancing. Tesla conducted steering calibration and verified that all suspension components were within specification.

The issue remains; I have uploaded a short video clip of this in action. It is very difficult to get a good camera angle to capture this.

I am seeking any constructive feedback in regard to fixing this issue.
New tires

Could be a few different things. I've never heard of a caliper dragging a piston causing an issue before like Signature said above, but hell anything is possible.

Is it when cruising, under load, or braking at that speed? If cruising, go hard acceleration and see if it happens, and then get up to 100 and do a hard brake and see if the same things happens at that speed when you're decelerating.

Surprised you've got that much life out of the tires.

Does it happen on ALL highways at that speed? In my neck of the woods, they cut grooves in the road to help with drainage, which caused severe tramlining for pretty much every car I've had. But on some of the older freeways without the grooves, it's smooth as glass.

Does it happen on ALL highways at that speed? In my neck of the woods, they cut grooves in the road to help with drainage, which caused severe tramlining for pretty much every car I've had. But on some of the older freeways without the grooves, it's smooth as glass.

I have ruled out the roadway being the cause of the issue, I have driven on smooth tollways and it still shakes.

It usually happens at 80-85 MPH

Reactions: Propofoln
Following, I have the same issue at around 130-140km/hr, so similar at 80-85mph.

Discovered on both my 19” winters and 21” stock summers. Don’t recall always having it, so it was something that developed midway. At about 6,000 miles.

What did they end up fixing/replacing?

I know nothing about car mechanics :)
Tesla end up replace the rear brake caliper.

At first we saw there’s excessive brake dust on one of the wheel from just normal driving + occasionally vibration, until we realize that it’s actually cause by the frozen caliper.

To test out, simply step on the brake at high way slows for about half of a second, and accelerate again. The vibration will then occur.

Reactions: aerodyne
I am experiencing a steering wheel/yoke vibration issue when the speed exceeds 80 mph since day 1. This problem is particularly noticeable when using autopilot, as the steering wheel clearly shakes without a hand holding on it.

I examined a local demo Model S, which was manufactured in April, and surprisingly, it displayed the same symptoms as my car.

Demo Car Steering Yoke vibration

Last edited:
Reactions: dsc888 and kopo
I am experiencing a steering wheel/yoke vibration issue when the speed exceeds 80 mph since day 1. This problem is particularly noticeable when using autopilot, as the steering wheel clearly shakes without a hand holding on it.

I examined a local demo Model S, which was manufactured in April, and surprisingly, it displayed the same symptoms as my car.

Demo Car Steering Yoke vibration
Does anyone have a similar issue to the one in the video?

Half shafts?
I am not sure, but could that possibly be the reason for the unbalanced half shafts?

I have tried road force balancing on all four tires, had the alignment checked twice, and even attempted using a different set of wheels, but none of these actions have led to any improvements.

It's worth mentioning that the vibration symptom is really road-independent. For example, the car steering wheel typically vibrates the most on a smooth, straight-line highway rather than on a rough-surface highway."

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
My Plaid is going to Tesla service today to have the half shafts replaced under warranty . I get a near constant vibration around 50 mph and it's road surface dependent as well. It's been a known issue since release and the suggestion is that it's caused by the large angle the shafts have. There was some talk of Tesla coming up with a new half shaft replacement, one Plaid owner talked of having experimental half shafts installed, but my service center couldn't confirm the new part number. My expectation is the vibration will disappear for 2K-3K miles and then return.