Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Post-Delivery Gripes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe someone from Tesla will browse this thread and take the gripes back to the design team? Yeah, wishful thinking.

Keep it clean and constructive.

I took delivery of a Plaid on Wednesday, June 30th. I've had a week to drive it and experience some of the "bugs" in the refresh model.

1) The media player. How can this be such a mess? It took years to get the media player sorted on my previous Model S and it seems like I'm starting over again.
a. Playing from USB. Using a well supported 32GB USB drive formatted as FAT32 using native USB-C (no adapters). Little tough, physically, to plug in. Maybe felt around the ports need trimming? Once in, seems to read well. No problems there. The problem is the USB drive seems to randomly disappear when I leave the car. The resulting behavior is that when I return, the song I was halfway through is no longer waiting for me. The media player simply states "select source". I can bring the sources back up, USB is always there, select USB and start with a new song. Many steps, fairly frustrating. I haven't heard the end of most songs since I got the car. It does this randomly. Sometimes it is fine. Doesn't matter whether I park in my garage all night or at Lowe's to run in for 5 minutes. Doesn't seem to matter if I leave in running when I leave the car or hit pause before departing.
b. Streaming (using Slacker) is flaky as before in my previous S. Sometimes switching songs takes forever. Just spins looking for the next song, sometimes it identifies the song and spins trying to start playing it. Maybe a failure in the Slacker service or maybe a failure in the mobile connectivity of the car. This occurred in larger cities (like Houston) and smaller cities (like Lafayette).
c. Volume management. I assume it is trying to perform adaptive volume. I tried to find a way to disable it and was unable (might be time to RTFM). I get in the car, set the volume to 5, start a song, drive away. Sometimes it increases volume based on speed, but almost always decreases volume when coming to a stop, usually below the volume I set on onset of driving (like down to 3-4 from 5). Almost every time I get in the car, the volume is set to 2-3 regardless of where I set it before leaving the car.

2) Drive line vibration. I can feel a slight "drive line" vibration under certain circumstances. It is fairly recreatable by driving on a really smooth, straight, level road at about 30mph and lightly pressing the accelerator. It exhibits this behavior until about 45mph and goes away. It doesn't do it (that I can notice) under hard acceleration. It feels a bit like the front drive shaft imbalance issue that Telsa recalled on the Ludicrous models a couple years back.

3) Gear selection. Yeah, the gear selection is a PITA. I don't like swiping the screen and the selection buttons below the charging pads don't seem to work with any consistency (maybe RTFM?).

4) Signals. The difficulty in using the turning signals promotes bad behavior (not using them). There is no 3-flash mode. You are supposed to be able to light press and hold for controlled flash or hard press for constant flash, but the difference between light and hard is random and almost imperceivable for human touch sensitivity control. Aside from this, sometimes mashing the signal buttons doesn't result in activation. I am now in the habit of looking at the DIC to determine whether or not the signals engaged.

5) Headlight button on yoke. This button is smack dab where my thumb tends to rest when using the yoke. I end up flashing the person in front of me with every bump. That button seems to be very sensitive. Maybe it should be a double click or hold to flash?

6) Side mirrors. This was an issue in my previous S and was corrected at some point likely with a firmware update. I set the angle and direction while in reverse and it works a couple times and then randomly stops. Not sure if this is a profile setting, but it should be. When I set the mirror angles, it doesn't prompt me in the usual way (like when you change seat settings) to save the profile.

Likely more to come...

@Dameon Glad you mentioned the driveshaft issue......I have had my plaid since the delivery event and notice the same issue. Service center isn't quite sure what it is. Please keep us updated as I know a few of us are having this issue. Also I have an issue with the charge port not opening with the button on my wall charger which seems to be Bluetooth related. The service center has added an antenna but a new port needs to be created and is a known issue.

Last edited:
The first USB issue you mention (1a) is not specific to the refresh model. Both our 2018 Model S and Model 3 have the same issue, and it's been there for a long time. If you didn't experience that in your previous S, consider yourself lucky.

2) Drive line vibration. I can feel a slight "drive line" vibration under certain circumstances. It is fairly recreatable by driving on a really smooth, straight, level road at about 30mph and lightly pressing the accelerator. It exhibits this behavior until about 45mph and goes away. It doesn't do it (that I can notice) under hard acceleration. It feels a bit like the front drive shaft imbalance issue that Telsa recalled on the Ludicrous models a couple years back.

3) Gear selection. Yeah, the gear selection is a PITA. I don't like swiping the screen and the selection buttons below the charging pads don't seem to work with any consistency (maybe RTFM?).

4) Signals. The difficulty in using the turning signals promotes bad behavior (not using them). There is no 3-flash mode. You are supposed to be able to light press and hold for controlled flash or hard press for constant flash, but the difference between light and hard is random and almost imperceivable for human touch sensitivity control. Aside from this, sometimes mashing the signal buttons doesn't result in activation. I am now in the habit of looking at the DIC to determine whether or not the signals engaged.

5) Headlight button on yoke. This button is smack dab where my thumb tends to rest when using the yoke. I end up flashing the person in front of me with every bump. That button seems to be very sensitive. Maybe it should be a double click or hold to flash?
Comments on these from the refresh Model S LR PoV

on 2) I really dont seem to have that issue under hard acceleration or just cruising - feedback from the wife is that its ‘very smooth’ but will look out for us - certainly different in the LR due to 2 motors vs 3 in Plaid

on 3) for me thats after using it for 2 weeks this is a time saver and easy to use - Auto shift out of Park works pretty well - in the morning get into the car (in garage) and its just ready to go - no shifting into reverse - same at office leaving in the evening…and swiping on the screen for backwards and forwards is actually easy as the position on the screen where you swipe is very close to your right hand when on the yoke..

on 4) i use the light press a lot for changing lanes on the freeway and a harder press for turns - haven’t had an issue as the sound in the car is pretty loud and you can just tell from the sound what the signal situation is

on 5) again no issue for us - but we often hold the yoke on the bottom when on a straight road and then when turning use one hand for slower turns - push up from the right hand side of the yoke to turn left and push up from left hand side to turn right

Reactions: quickstrike12
Question about the screen in backseat. That was going to be one of my favorite parts of the refresh. I have a young boys and for Our road trips I have to hang screens on the back of the headrests(both sides) connect them together power them through the 28v adapter in front and then they have headphones so me and momma can list to our radio in the front. Pain in the arse.
but now I understand currently there is no way to “separate“ the audio from front to back in some way? Is there at least IR headphones ability for t(e back audio? Or maybe Bluetooth or even plugged headphones jacks for the kids?
how or why would they design this so the entire car must listen to the audio from Back to make this work.
please tell me there is something I’m missing?

Reactions: pslawing
@Dameon Glad you mentioned the driveshaft issue......I have had my plaid since the delivery event and notice the same issue. Service center isn't quite sure what it is. Please keep us updated as I know a few of us are having this issue. Also I have an issue with the charge port not opening with the button on my wall charger which seems to be Bluetooth related. The service center has added an antenna but a new port needs to be created and is a known issue.
I don't think it is a drive shaft imbalance as it only seems to do it at low speeds, of course imbalances can occur at any specific speed. It seems to be related to torque ratio... low speed, slow application of power. I'll let you (this thread) know if the Service Center finds anything.

I don't use bluetooth in my car at all, so if the charge port is related to that, I wouldn't see it. But, oddly enough, I always had an issue in my P90D. Same thing, no bluetooth usage, but the wall charger button would work randomly. I would usually end up holding the button and waving it around the rear corner of the car. It usually activated the charge port door within 10-15 seconds. It was pretty annoying. I expressed the issue to Tesla years ago and they suggested a new wall charger, which I bought, but no change. It worked fine at the superchargers.

I don't think it is a drive shaft imbalance as it only seems to do it at low speeds, of course imbalances can occur at any specific speed. It seems to be related to torque ratio... low speed, slow application of power. I'll let you (this thread) know if the Service Center finds anything.

I don't use bluetooth in my car at all, so if the charge port is related to that, I wouldn't see it. But, oddly enough, I always had an issue in my P90D. Same thing, no bluetooth usage, but the wall charger button would work randomly. I would usually end up holding the button and waving it around the rear corner of the car. It usually activated the charge port door within 10-15 seconds. It was pretty annoying. I expressed the issue to Tesla years ago and they suggested a new wall charger, which I bought, but no change. It worked fine at the superchargers.
I just read that there is a software update that fixes the vibration. Supposedly it was a controller. Will let you know today.

Here is the link to software thread. Virbation

Last edited:
Also I have an issue with the charge port not opening with the button on my wall charger which seems to be Bluetooth related. The service center has added an antenna but a new port needs to be created and is a known issue.
I am having this issue as well. My wall charger opens my Model Y charge port every time. My Model S hardly ever opens. Where do I find out about this known issue? I have a service visit scheduled.

My Plaid was just returned to me by my local SC from a week-long repair to address the annoying dashboard noise. No luck, I was told they would have to take the car to an outside body shop and possibly leave the car there for a few weeks! What really irritates me though is the condition of the car it was retuned in. Deep scratches on my front bumper which has a clear bra and ceramic coating, and scuff marks on the rear bumper with just ceramic coating. The windshield was also chipped just below the camera, I'm assuming the damage was done when they removed/re-installed the windshield to chase the dashboard noise... I can't believe I'm having so much problem with my barely 2-month old $130k car. As much as I believe in Tesla and their mission, this quality issue has got to improve. I really hope they replace my car with a new one because it's been taken apart and put back together like Frankenstein.

1) The media player. How can this be such a mess? It took years to get the media player sorted on my previous Model S and it seems like I'm starting over again.
a. Playing from USB. Using a well supported 32GB USB drive formatted as FAT32 using native USB-C (no adapters). Little tough, physically, to plug in. Maybe felt around the ports need trimming? Once in, seems to read well. No problems there. The problem is the USB drive seems to randomly disappear when I leave the car. The resulting behavior is that when I return, the song I was halfway through is no longer waiting for me. The media player simply states "select source". I can bring the sources back up, USB is always there, select USB and start with a new song. Many steps, fairly frustrating. I haven't heard the end of most songs since I got the car. It does this randomly. Sometimes it is fine. Doesn't matter whether I park in my garage all night or at Lowe's to run in for 5 minutes. Doesn't seem to matter if I leave in running when I leave the car or hit pause before departing.

So, it's "winter/spring" here in Southern LA (not L.A.) and the rains are upon us. I typically drive my truck during rainy, cool, days just to keep my car clean. My truck is an older 2011 Ford F350 King Ranch, so it has the nicer Sync by Microsoft audio system. It ignores USB drives over 32GB and only FAT32, which is fine, but when I met those criteria, it works exactly like it should! I copied my entire Tesla USB song library onto a suitable USB drive for the Ford and it plays perfectly and resumes EVERY TIME for the past week I've been driving the truck.

Microsoft got it right with Ford Sync. Why can't Tesla figure this out?