Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New MS LR owner here with a couple questions:

1. Where the heck is the energy graph? I used this often on longer drives in my M3P and can't find it anywhere.
2. Is there a way to make the binnacle display more useful? I'm used to seeing my neighbor's pre-refresh LR+, and it had tons of useful info and stats on there. I'm seeing the driving visualization (which is still 100% useless without FSD), speed, battery SoC, temp, and not much else unless I plot a nav destination. What about consumption?!? Tire pressure? Music track info? Why isn't this a user-assignable space like on Audis?

I'm just disappointed. It's still a damn sight better than the 3/Y, which give up 40% of their only display to useless info, but the extra display is being seriously underutilized.

New MS LR owner here with a couple questions:

1. Where the heck is the energy graph? I used this often on longer drives in my M3P and can't find it anywhere.
2. Is there a way to make the binnacle display more useful? I'm used to seeing my neighbor's pre-refresh LR+, and it had tons of useful info and stats on there. I'm seeing the driving visualization (which is still 100% useless without FSD), speed, battery SoC, temp, and not much else unless I plot a nav destination. What about consumption?!? Tire pressure? Music track info? Why isn't this a user-assignable space like on Audis?

I'm just disappointed. It's still a damn sight better than the 3/Y, which give up 40% of their only display to useless info, but the extra display is being seriously underutilized.
Agree and you will hear others disappointed by the use of the drivers console display. Why is media/album art not available on the left hand side, when not using navigation or you should be able to choose that instead of seeing navigation. Blind spot video should show up in that area too. I could go on and on.

The older S I had as a service vechicle had many more options. Don’t understand how it can go backwards. Why is album art so small on the massive center screen? The tech for the media and consoles is way underdeveloped and disappointing. Elon has had 7 months now to get it corrected and all he seems worried about is FSD. Please improve the other functions better, that make the car more enjoyable and safer to drive. I just tweeted him again tonight about this stuff and CarPlay. As Tesla gets more new buyers, more will be disappointed on stuff that much less cheaper cars offer.

But, I am also one of those people that want CarPlay or Apple Music too. Would be willing to pay for it too. :)

Reactions: Neon001

It doesn't exist for the refresh S&X. (We don't know if they will add it in the future or if it is gone forever.)

2. Is there a way to make the binnacle display more useful? I'm used to seeing my neighbor's pre-refresh LR+, and it had tons of useful info and stats on there.

Nope. There is no customization, what you see is what you get. (Again we don't know if they plan to add customization back in the future or not.)

What’s the significance of the 99-E part? Can you fabricate a solution based off what we have now (guessing 00-E)? Sorry if a dumb question, I might not understand.
The 99-E is the first change I've seen to the mechanism part number, and considering the drawings in the EPC have been unreliable, that change could indicate a significant rework to the mechanism. Or maybe basically nothing. Only way to know is to see one.

I'm currently working on a solution for 00-E's but whatever I make, an official implementation would be far superior.

The 99-E is the first change I've seen to the mechanism part number, and considering the drawings in the EPC have been unreliable, that change could indicate a significant rework to the mechanism. Or maybe basically nothing. Only way to know is to see one.

I'm currently working on a solution for 00-E's but whatever I make, an official implementation would be far superior.
@Casey_S I’d settle for just being able to manually swivel it like the aftermarket kit for the Model 3/Y does. How’s the solution coming along? If it’s a ways away I’ll stop bugging you, I just really hate not being able to swivel it, such an aggravating omission.

@Casey_S I’d settle for just being able to manually swivel it like the aftermarket kit for the Model 3/Y does. How’s the solution coming along? If it’s a ways away I’ll stop bugging you, I just really hate not being able to swivel it, such an aggravating omission.
If you're handy, you could implement a manual swivel right now. Remove your mechanism and remove the worm drive screws. Tighten the carrier fingers to add friction so the screen doesn't slide around of it's own accord. Voila. Would only require the right sockets and torx bits. The only thing I'd do to improve this is somehow add locking points.

Powered mechanism is apparently done. I'm visiting the gear cutter tomorrow to verify. From there it's down to my electronics implementation.

Adding to the list of bugs:
  • The yoke makes a continuous buzzing sound after the first button press. It is silent until you press any button. The noise comes from the left side of the yoke, near the headlamp icon. This is likely caused by a bug in the haptic feedback motor control software.
  • The rear-view mirror fan makes hooting noise because the fan control logic is broken and it randomly turns on at full blast then turns off. It should turn on gradually and slowly, only when needed to prevent making so much noise. This was fixed in 2022.4 !
  • The software logic for the console cubby light is backwards. The light turns off when you open the lid and turns on when you close it.

Reactions: mcirish
Adding to the list of bugs:
  • The yoke makes a continuous buzzing sound after the first button press. It is silent until you press any button. The noise comes from the left side of the yoke, near the headlamp icon. This is likely caused by a bug in the haptic feedback motor control software.
  • The rear-view mirror fan makes hooting noise because the fan control logic is broken and it randomly turns on at full blast then turns off. It should turn on gradually and slowly, only when needed to prevent making so much noise. This was fixed in 2022.4 !
  • The software logic for the console cubby light is backwards. The light turns off when you open the lid and turns on when you close it.
Ugh. Wow, never seen nor heard that. You should schedule a service appt with Tesla for that issue.

Reactions: Pdubs
I've tried. All the refresh S's do it. It's software. I checked the cars they had in the lot. All the same. Put your ear up to the yoke near the headlamp icon and you'll notice it too. It only starts after the first button press.
Had my MS Plaid since the end of Oct, '21...definitely doesn't happen. I would've noticed a buzzing sound. No buzzing in my car. I hear a small rattle now and then, but that's from one of the rear seat latches or something around there. Yesterday, my driver's window stopped doing the auto full open & auto full closed (while all other windows work perfectly) so I have a mobile service appt scheduled for this Friday for that.

Reactions: Pdubs and Proppilot
Had my MS Plaid since the end of Oct, '21...definitely doesn't happen. I would've noticed a buzzing sound. No buzzing in my car. I hear a small rattle now and then, but that's from one of the rear seat latches or something around there. Yesterday, my driver's window stopped doing the auto full open & auto full closed (while all other windows work perfectly) so I have a mobile service appt scheduled for this Friday for that.
Try this

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Pdubs and sflgator
Here is the yoke noise:

New video by Jonathan Viventi

Do you have that? Can you double check? If you don't, that's promising that it is somehow related to specific parts, not all of the cars.

Mine is
MF452xxx
Built: Wednesday October 20th @ 11:13AM 2021

What is yours?

Here is the yoke noise:

New video by Jonathan Viventi

Do you have that? Can you double check? If you don't, that's promising that it is somehow related to specific parts, not all of the cars.

Mine is
MF452xxx
Built: Wednesday October 20th @ 11:13AM 2021

What is yours?
I do not; if I do, it's so low in volume, it's completely indiscernible to me and I cannot hear it. My hearing is good. I think people are a bit too picky sometimes. For those that have the issue and they literally have to put their ear to the yoke button to hear it, I say you should probably just turn up the music volume and you'll forget all about that, lol. 😜

• Funny
Reactions: Pdubs
I do not; if I do, it's so low in volume, it's completely indiscernible to me and I cannot hear it. My hearing is good. I think people are a bit too picky sometimes. For those that have the issue and they literally have to put their ear to the yoke button to hear it, I say you should probably just turn up the music volume and you'll forget all about that, lol. 😜

This is the #1 piece of advice given over on the Porsche forums whenever anyone complains about their > $100k car making weird noises. Just sayin'. :)

This is the #1 piece of advice given over on the Porsche forums whenever anyone complains about their > $100k car making weird noises. Just sayin'. :)
Funny. I believe it. BTW -- I had a Porsche Macan Turbo for about 3 years...not 1 single rattle or odd sound other than the glorious roar of the engine and the sound system on that car. Quality German build.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Hmm. Maybe a part change. Is yours an earlier build than mine? It's loud enough that I hear it all the time. I thought it was a problem with the sound system at first, but then someone else said to listen to the yoke. I hear it whenever I'm not playing music. I can hear it while playing talk radio. It's really annoying. They worked hard to make the car silent, then someone messed up some simple code in the yoke button circuit board and it makes a ton of noise.

The rear view mirror also has a buzzing noise, but that one isn't as loud.