Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In fairness, my 2018 M3 was, too. ...Until I took it anywhere close to highway speeds, at which time I needed earplugs.
True. The S is quieter than the 3 while driving. But I'm annoyed they ruined the quiet interior with bad software. Hopefully someday they will recognize and fix the bugs. It's like no one in engineering is driving these cars.

If you're handy, you could implement a manual swivel right now. Remove your mechanism and remove the worm drive screws. Tighten the carrier fingers to add friction so the screen doesn't slide around of it's own accord. Voila. Would only require the right sockets and torx bits. The only thing I'd do to improve this is somehow add locking points.

Powered mechanism is apparently done. I'm visiting the gear cutter tomorrow to verify. From there it's down to my electronics implementation.
Any videos or guides on this or just removing the screen, etc to get an idea how to do that? I have all the tools and am fairly handy, just would like to get an idea of what’s involved and what it looks like.

My new 2022 LR S makes a sound in reverse only. Its a humming noise. Not very loud. Goes away when switch to drive.
Is this a pedestrian warning or something else?
It's the pedestrian warning system. It makes a different sound when going forward that is very faint. If you put your windows down, you should be able to hear a quiet static or hissing sound.

Reactions: cwanja and mspohr
Any idea why my 2021 MS Plaid would be on ~ 7+ s/w versions BEHIND the latest s/w? My car's last s/w update was about 2 weeks ago but it only updated to 2021.44.30.21 and as I understand it, the latest s/w version is 2022.4.5.5 but there's like 7 s/w updates in between...what gives? I'll be asking the same question this Friday when I bring my car in to my local Tesla SC for a couple small fixes but I'm guessing they won't be able to answer this question for me. Thank you.

BTW -- I had a really bad FSD phantom braking issue today that nearly ended up in a bad way and almost caused an accident...so not happy with FSD, even on the highway; my daughter's 2019 Acura RDX has much better (and much safer) "active cruise control" on the highway than Tesla's FSD bu11sh!t!!! 😡

Any idea why my 2021 MS Plaid would be on ~ 7+ s/w versions BEHIND the latest s/w? My car's last s/w update was about 2 weeks ago but it only updated to 2021.44.30.21 and as I understand it, the latest s/w version is 2022.4.5.5 but there's like 7 s/w updates in between...what gives? I'll be asking the same question this Friday when I bring my car in to my local Tesla SC for a couple small fixes but I'm guessing they won't be able to answer this question for me. Thank you.

BTW -- I had a really bad FSD phantom braking issue today that nearly ended up in a bad way and almost caused an accident...so not happy with FSD, even on the highway; my daughter's 2019 Acura RDX has much better (and much safer) "active cruise control" on the highway than Tesla's FSD bu11sh!t!!! 😡
If you were on the highway, that wasn't FSD. That was regular autopilot. But, yes, phantom braking is annoying. I haven't had any yet on my Plaid over 2,000 miles. I had more on my old Model 3 with AP 2.0.

• Informative
Reactions: sflgator and cwanja
Any idea why my 2021 MS Plaid would be on ~ 7+ s/w versions BEHIND the latest s/w? My car's last s/w update was about 2 weeks ago but it only updated to 2021.44.30.21 and as I understand it, the latest s/w version is 2022.4.5.5 but there's like 7 s/w updates in between...what gives?
The version you have is the most current version with the FSD beta. You would have to opt out of the beta, and wait, to get a newer version at this point.

If you were on the highway, that wasn't FSD. That was regular autopilot. But, yes, phantom braking is annoying. I haven't had any yet on my Plaid over 2,000 miles. I had more on my old Model 3 with AP 2.0.
Okay fine, but on that note, FSD in city driving sucks...very sketchy at best thus far. It still hates intersections, left turns, and splits in the road. I've had my MS Plaid since late Oct, 2021 (with > 6k mi. on it) and FSD Beta since Dec, 2021, and AP then, sucks even worse. Acura's (2019) active cruise control with lane keep assist and radar guidance/distance following w/ auto braking is far superior to what Tesla has in their current highway AP. Sucks balls thus far and very disappointed with it, especially when I still consider the vehicle as the most advanced vehicle I've ever owned (aside from these 2 features). But seriously, I think Tesla engineers need to study other auto manufacturers "active cruise control" and completely reevaluate and rework how their AP and FSD actually work. It seems like these features will be in "beta" form for many more years.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwanja
Okay fine, but on that note, FSD in city driving sucks...very sketchy at best thus far. It still hates intersections, left turns, and splits in the road. I've had my MS Plaid since late Oct, 2021 (with > 6k mi. on it) and FSD Beta since Dec, 2021, and AP then, sucks even worse. Acura's (2019) active cruise control with lane keep assist and radar guidance/distance following w/ auto braking is far superior to what Tesla has in their current highway AP. Sucks balls thus far and very disappointed with it, especially when I still consider the vehicle as the most advanced vehicle I've ever owned (aside from these 2 features). But seriously, I think Tesla engineers need to study other auto manufacturers "active cruise control" and completely reevaluate and rework how their AP and FSD actually work. It seems like these features will be in "beta" form for many more years.
Yeah, FSD is even worse.

Base autopilot is really good. I never have phantom braking events, it tracks lanes perfectly, even with poor marking. Speeds up and slows down smoothly, etc. I have not tried any other active cruise control systems, though.

But yeah, it's unlikely to ever get better given the focus on pure vision. Lidar, radar, ultrasound, and cameras are needed.

Yeah, FSD is even worse.

Base autopilot is really good. I never have phantom braking events, it tracks lanes perfectly, even with poor marking. Speeds up and slows down smoothly, etc. I have not tried any other active cruise control systems, though.

But yeah, it's unlikely to ever get better given the focus on pure vision. Lidar, radar, ultrasound, and cameras are needed.
I just traded in my FSD 3 for a regular AP S (though I never got my driver score high enough to participate in the beta) I actually find AP slightly less error-prone without FSD because FSD was often mistaking road signs with flashing lights for actual traffic lights, resulting in 2-3 phantom-braking events per commute.