Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wish they would do something about the autopilot "nag".
In spite of me always keeping both hands on the yoke (I like the yoke since it's very comfortable to keep my hands at the 4 and 8 positions), I get constant reminders (and eventually get cut off) to keep my hands on the yoke. This occurs most commonly on straight freeway sections but also with gentle curved sections.
I haven't been able to incorporate "twerking" the yoke every 15 seconds into my driving.
There must be a better way (there is an interior camera... they could monitor that).

In spite of me always keeping both hands on the yoke (I like the yoke since it's very comfortable to keep my hands at the 4 and 8 positions), I get constant reminders (and eventually get cut off) to keep my hands on the yoke. This occurs most commonly on straight freeway sections but also with gentle curved sections.
I haven't been able to incorporate "twerking" the yoke every 15 seconds into my driving.
There must be a better way (there is an interior camera... they could monitor that).
They do monitor the interior camera in the FSD beta. They nag you if you look away from the road. And they still nag you if you don't apply pressure to the yoke. I do find that resting my hands on the yoke is enough to keep the nag away.

They do monitor the interior camera in the FSD beta. They nag you if you look away from the road. And they still nag you if you don't apply pressure to the yoke. I do find that resting my hands on the yoke is enough to keep the nag away.
Unfortunately, keeping both hands on the yoke (hands wrapped around the yoke with thumb and fingers) isn't enough for me to avoid the nag.

Unfortunately, keeping both hands on the yoke (hands wrapped around the yoke with thumb and fingers) isn't enough for me to avoid the nag.
That is strange as I only have to rest my fingers on the bottom left or right side and it never nags. Clearly there is a torque sensor there and I wonder if there is something out of calibration with yours. I need very little pressure.

Reactions: SDRick and cwanja
Don’t think of it as having to twerk it every time you get the nag. Try to hang more pressure on one hand or the other to keep a constant turning force bias.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Reading these, I think I'll try resting my hands on the bottom of both sides of the yoke. (Currently I have my hands wrapped around the outsides of the yoke but I am not applying pressure.) Hopefully the weight of my hands inside the yoke will induce enough torque to avoid the nags. I don't think having my hands resting inside the yoke will give me as good control over steering as having them wrapped around the outsides of the yoke but it's worth a try.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
It is not a "grip of the wheel" it is slight turning pressure against the servo. You can get good at keeping light "pressure" turning the yoke to eliminate the nag. In addition activating, rolling, either scroll wheel will satisfy the nag.

Reading these, I think I'll try resting my hands on the bottom of both sides of the yoke. (Currently I have my hands wrapped around the outsides of the yoke but I am not applying pressure.) Hopefully the weight of my hands inside the yoke will induce enough torque to avoid the nags. I don't think having my hands resting inside the yoke will give me as good control over steering as having them wrapped around the outsides of the yoke but it's worth a try.
The yoke senses torque to know you are holding it. You are probably holding it with equal pressure from each hand. Try applying a little more torque with one hand or the other once in a while. If that does not solve it you should probably schedule a service visit.

Reactions: mspohr
This has probably been covered before, but I found this extra unused connector under the "front door trim decor" piece in my door. I guess they meant to have some lighting there. Strangely enough, the service manual shows that connector being connected.

1656965069523.png

1656964966275.png

Reactions: aerodyne
Holding both hands on the yoke does not work. You will inevitably apply equal pressure on both hands. You need to just rest your right hand or your left hand but not both inside the yoke, applying slight pressure. That will tell the car that you are in control. You might not like this requirement, but it is a requirement.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
This has probably been covered before, but I found this extra unused connector under the "front door trim decor" piece in my door. I guess they meant to have some lighting there. Strangely enough, the service manual shows that connector being connected.

View attachment 824771

View attachment 824768
Yep. Been there since day 1. Probably some supply-chain shenanigans is the reason why it's not there (like the swivel display and updated headlights originally). I can see Tesla selling a retrofit kit, though, given how easy it is to remove that trim with your fingers, and it's not without precedent. Tesla sells an illuminated door sill kit for the 3, for example.

View attachment 824771

View attachment 824768
Yep. Been there since day 1. Probably some supply-chain shenanigans is the reason why it's not there (like the swivel display and updated headlights originally). I can see Tesla selling a retrofit kit, though, given how easy it is to remove that trim with your fingers, and it's not without precedent. Tesla sells an illuminated door sill kit for the 3, for example.