Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 2021.12.4.9 still, and I see anything from 79% to 87% (with it set to 80%). Just another software bug that’s been around for ages. My Model 3 would charge anywhere from 79% to 83-84% depending on the day. The S with an 87% is a new high. Most days it’s fine (80-81%) but these random spikes are plain bizarre.
That kind of spread is not right. That’s more than Likely a bug. It shouldn’t be that wide. I do know that setting the charge limit via the app is more accurate than in the car.

Anyone seeing their overnight charging being off since .3? Normally I charge to 90% every night and that has worked fine. The last couple of nights the car has charged to 92%
I did not see that. I have mine set to 90% and it always ends up at 90. Do you have the Tessie app? Try setting from there and see what happens. (I love that app by the way. )

How can you set things like how high the hatch back opens?
Open the trunk. Then close it manually to your desired position and hold the close button for a couple of seconds. You’ll hear a sound and that’s it.
You can also press the button while it is opening to stop the hatch and then press and hold to set the open height. You will heard the same sound, confirming its setting.Prevents having to "force" it down to your preferred height.

You can also press the button while it is opening to stop the hatch and then press and hold to set the open height. You will heard the same sound, confirming its setting.Prevents having to "force" it down to your preferred height.
Yep. You’re not really forcing it though. It’s more accurate when you have the manual control of opening/closing yourself, I found.

I'm using a 512GB SSD in the center console. Total overkill, but it's what I have lying around. I'll probably move that to the glove box for Sentry duty, and relocate the 128GB Tesla drive with a USB A->C adapter.
Yeah, good luck with that.

I was at CostCo this weekend and they had a heck of a deal on a Sandisk 1TB NVMe drive. Normallly $139, on sale for $99. Since my OEM Tesla USB drive was only holding 1/2 a day of dashcam footage, I figured 1TB would hook me up. Got home, removed the OEM drive, plugged the Sandisk in, the car saw it, I clicked Format Drive (twice for good measure), the format seemed to work as expected both times (no errors), so I took a drive with it in place. Alert came up saying no USB storage for dashcam events. So I removed it, plugged it into my PC and it had all the OEM Sandisk files and no dashcam video. It didn't format nor did it write to it. So a formatted it exFAT on my PC, renamed it to match the OEM drive and even copied the contents of the OEM drive to the Sandisk. Plugged it in and same story. Gave up.

Fast forward a couple days... I had been listening to streaming radio as the MP3 USB issue was annoying the hell out of me. Well, now I was tired of listening to streaming, so I selected USB and, low and behold, it brought up the Sandisk in the glovebox as my media drive! I tried playing a video, but it wouldn't play it. Anyway, I unplugged the Sandisk so I could use the MP3 USB drive in the console. When I did that and brought up the media player and USB, it was still showing (the now unplugged) Sandisk contents. Somehow the directory and folders were all cached. So now I unplugged the USB drive in the console (leaving no USB devices anywhere... glovebox or console), scroll wheel reboot and... same thing. No USB drives in at all and cached list of video files.

What a mess of a software release! I am somewhat reluctantly upgrading to 2021.24.4 right now. It's been telling me it's been available for a week, but I was waiting to see if it broke more than it fixed as per forum posts.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc

I was at CostCo this weekend and they had a heck of a deal on a Sandisk 1TB NVMe drive. Normallly $139, on sale for $99. Since my OEM Tesla USB drive was only holding 1/2 a day of dashcam footage, I figured 1TB would hook me up. Got home, removed the OEM drive, plugged the Sandisk in, the car saw it, I clicked Format Drive (twice for good measure), the format seemed to work as expected both times (no errors), so I took a drive with it in place. Alert came up saying no USB storage for dashcam events. So I removed it, plugged it into my PC and it had all the OEM Sandisk files and no dashcam video. It didn't format nor did it write to it. So a formatted it exFAT on my PC, renamed it to match the OEM drive and even copied the contents of the OEM drive to the Sandisk. Plugged it in and same story. Gave up.

Fast forward a couple days... I had been listening to streaming radio as the MP3 USB issue was annoying the hell out of me. Well, now I was tired of listening to streaming, so I selected USB and, low and behold, it brought up the Sandisk in the glovebox as my media drive! I tried playing a video, but it wouldn't play it. Anyway, I unplugged the Sandisk so I could use the MP3 USB drive in the console. When I did that and brought up the media player and USB, it was still showing (the now unplugged) Sandisk contents. Somehow the directory and folders were all cached. So now I unplugged the USB drive in the console (leaving no USB devices anywhere... glovebox or console), scroll wheel reboot and... same thing. No USB drives in at all and cached list of video files.

What a mess of a software release! I am somewhat reluctantly upgrading to 2021.24.4 right now. It's been telling me it's been available for a week, but I was waiting to see if it broke more than it fixed as per forum posts.
@Dameon Don’t do it. It’s worse than 4.9, I’ve read. I’m waiting a few more cycles before I will accept an update file for loading.

@Dameon Don’t do it. It’s worse than 4.9, I’ve read. I’m waiting a few more cycles before I will accept an update file for loading.
Well *sugar* (I actually typed that so the forum wouldn't have to)... too late. I was so pissed off about the cached USB issue, I was getting desperate.

But seriously @WilliamG , let me know if you get your drive working. It'd like to know if this is my issue or a known issue. Thanks.

Reactions: cwanja

According to the owner's manual, the media drive must be formatted to FAT32. It says exFAT is not supported.

According to the owner's manual, the media drive must be formatted to FAT32. It says exFAT is not supported.
exFAT is definitely supported in a non-refresh Model S and has been for a while, despite what the manual says—I have been using exFAT for both TeslaCam and media. Whether exFAT is supported by the firmware used in the refresh is in question.

Reactions: cwanja