Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: Not sure if it is a software thing, but how do you control the temperature of the rear seat climate control from the front?

All my past cars you can control the rear climate control from the front screen. Perhaps i am missing something but cant find it anywhere. Woud llike to know if there is a way to SYNC the temp with the front as wel.
There is a button on the left hand side of climate controls that brings up temperature. That is it. Do not believe there is a way to control the fan speed.

Check the manual and when it’s going over climate controls, it’s number 4. Do not have the screen shot readily available.

There is a button on the left hand side of climate controls that brings up temperature. That is it. Do not believe there is a way to control the fan speed.

Check the manual and when it’s going over climate controls, it’s number 4. Do not have the screen shot readily available.
When i do that i only see the fan speed control but no temperature. Maybe i am missing something.

It does not in my refreshed Model S Long Range. Nor does the 2-thumb reset, nor does tapping three times ("there's no place like home", comes to mind) I wonder if there has EVER been a clock in human history where a user cannot change it to the correct time?
vcr-blinking-12.gif

I ran across this thread today and saw mention of a Monroney Window Sticker. That sticker reminds me why I don't like buying a Tesla S online. Unless I missed it, there is no such item shown on the 'buy' page. Like I found out by accident the '21 is supposed to have accoustic laminated glass, but nowhere on the 'buy' site is this listed. No mention of ventilated seats and the like either. It makes me wonder if the Monroney sticker, in say Ca, shows more than what is shown on the Tesla Buy site. If indeed there is a Monroney sticer shown on their site, please direct me to it.
Park Place Mercedes in Ft Worth bought my 2020 S Performance (bought used with 1200 miles last Jan) for the price I paid for it, yesterday 2021 to be delivered b/t Nov 26 to Dec 15 this year. Not much of a loss of dough.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I ran across this thread today and saw mention of a Monroney Window Sticker. That sticker reminds me why I don't like buying a Tesla S online. Unless I missed it, there is no such item shown on the 'buy' page. Like I found out by accident the '21 is supposed to have accoustic laminated glass, but nowhere on the 'buy' site is this listed. No mention of ventilated seats and the like either. It makes me wonder if the Monroney sticker, in say Ca, shows more than what is shown on the Tesla Buy site. If indeed there is a Monroney sticer shown on their site, please direct me to it.
Park Place Mercedes in Ft Worth bought my 2020 S Performance (bought used with 1200 miles last Jan) for the price I paid for it, yesterday 2021 to be delivered b/t Nov 26 to Dec 15 this year. Not much of a loss of dough.
No Monroney stickers on Tesla.com for new cars. I would guess largely because the sticker is specific to a VIN and that does not exist yet at the point you hit the "buy" button. Not sure what the process is for used inventory.

Reactions: cwanja
For anyone else still wondering what may be happening with screen tilt and the light elements in the trim, there's been a few developments. Originally, the parts catalog for the new S showed the tilt mechanism sans motors as delivered in our cars, and no light elements in the trim. The catalog for the X however shows that same mechanism with motors, and trim with light elements. And within the past day or two, the S catalog was updated with a redesigned tilt mechanism which uses entirely new motors. No change to trim, however.

So tl;dr Tesla still seems to be developing the features and hasn't given up on them. My guess is early VIN's will need a retrofit.

Current X:

A047FEDE-F0C2-471A-9659-83CF3B612DD9.jpeg

New S:

4C938CCC-6984-424B-AC68-C542716D54C7.jpeg

For anyone else still wondering what may be happening with screen tilt and the light elements in the trim, there's been a few developments. Originally, the parts catalog for the new S showed the tilt mechanism sans motors as delivered in our cars, and no light elements in the trim. The catalog for the X however shows that same mechanism with motors, and trim with light elements. And within the past day or two, the S catalog was updated with a redesigned tilt mechanism which uses entirely new motors. No change to trim, however.

So tl;dr Tesla still seems to be developing the features and hasn't given up on them. My guess is early VIN's will need a retrofit.

Current X:

View attachment 725750

New S:

View attachment 725751
I wonder if it was a parts supply issue... And if a retrofit is possible, can they just add the motors, or do they have to replace the whole mount assembly? Is the wiring harness in place to plug into the motors?

I wonder if it was a parts supply issue... And if a retrofit is possible, can they just add the motors, or do they have to replace the whole mount assembly? Is the wiring harness in place to plug into the motors?
In regard to the tilt mechanism, at this point I'm guessing it was a design issue. The original design uses Model 3 (and now S/X) seat tilt motors, of which they must have plenty. Granted, the motors utilize a different worm drive in the tilt mechanism, but that's a machining fabrication requirement not impacted by any of the shortages. The S catalog now showing a new design that seemingly refines the guide channels suggests they were having binding issues.

Tesla considers the mechanism and motors one part so I'm sure service centers will receive and swap the entire assembly. Very easy task though, takes maybe ten minutes. Every Plaid I've inspected does contain the necessary connectors.

I can vouch for auto-wipers -- we have the heavens opening up around here and the wipers worked great.
How about the auto high beams? Mine are unusable (whereas on my 2014 P85D they work great) and I want to figure out if it is just my car or just “beta” software? (and still? disappointing that MobileEye’s auto high beam from 2014 works better than Tesla’s in 2021)

Current X:

View attachment 725750

New S:

View attachment 725751
Help my understand this. You are saying the EPC for the Model X contains the ambient lighting and motors? Do you have the specific part numbers?

And on the Model S front, you are seeing both as well?

PS @Tigers

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Tigers
How about the auto high beams? Mine are unusable (whereas on my 2014 P85D they work great) and I want to figure out if it is just my car or just “beta” software? (and still? disappointing that MobileEye’s auto high beam from 2014 works better than Tesla’s in 2021)
They work OK, still seem like work in progress--lot of flopping back and forth. The auto high beams on my wife's AP1 MX are more stable.

They work OK, still seem like work in progress--lot of flopping back and forth. The auto high beams on my wife's AP1 MX are more stable.
I agree. My F150's auto high beam works completely flawless and not only has adaptive headlihgts but glarefree lighting. Works really really well as i did an RV trip racking over 5000kms in 2 weeks in very dark unlight places in Canada (PEI/New Brunswick). Its amazing how much i am finding that my F150 does alot of things better than my Model S (except the rediculous acceleration!!)

1635276561912.png

A bug? I know the front screens stay balck from time to time resulting in a reboot, but has anybody's rear screen just stayed WHITE suddenly?

I honestly reboot my model S more often than my Windows laptop! LOL! Had issues with streaming music, and the service centre just said REBOOT it, and it fixed it too.. They said you do need to reboot it from time to time..

• Funny
In regard to the tilt mechanism, at this point I'm guessing it was a design issue. The original design uses Model 3 (and now S/X) seat tilt motors, of which they must have plenty. Granted, the motors utilize a different worm drive in the tilt mechanism, but that's a machining fabrication requirement not impacted by any of the shortages. The S catalog now showing a new design that seemingly refines the guide channels suggests they were having binding issues.

Tesla considers the mechanism and motors one part so I'm sure service centers will receive and swap the entire assembly. Very easy task though, takes maybe ten minutes. Every Plaid I've inspected does contain the necessary connectors.
So, do we think this will be a free retrofit, or a “for fee” retrofit?

So, do we think this will be a free retrofit, or a “for fee” retrofit?
I think it would depend on if you placed your order when it was listed as a feature or not. So a for free retrofit for "early" order placers, and a for fee retrofit for everyone else. (Or they could just do it for everyone, it should only cost a couple hundred dollars and could easily be done by mobile service.)

Help my understand this. You are saying the EPC for the Model X contains the ambient lighting and motors? Do you have the specific part numbers?

And on the Model S front, you are seeing both as well?

PS @Tigers
Model X EPC shows all trim having light and version 1 of the complete tilt motor mechanism. Model S EPC shows the IP trim having light but none in the door trims. It originally showed the version 1 tilt mechanism with no motors, and now shows a version 2 mechanism with new kinds of motors. Despite differences in the catalog drawings, the mechanism assembly has always had the same part number between both the S and X (1607360-00-E). In reality, only one Plaid I've seen out of five has had lights in the IP trim. It also had lights in the door trims. The other four had no trim lights at all. I have yet to inspect a Palladium X.

Confused? So am I. Palladium production has clearly been a complete mess. Yesterday I went to a service center and attempted to order one of the new mechanisms. I say attempted because as I previously noted, they've all had the same part number, and the part example pictures the technician brought up were pictures of the v1 bracket with and without motors. I explained the situation to him and showed him the drawing differences which confused him as well. So the order has been made, and if the part does not match the latest drawing in the S catalog, he'll run it up the chain and inquire as to what's going on with the version control.

As far as retrofits, I have virtually no clue. So far I have yet to actually see a motorized mechanism in person - just drawings and pictures from old service manuals. Once it's confirmed motorized mechanisms are in delivered cars, we can assume Tesla will be adding first party function support, and retrofits - official or unofficial - would be practicality guaranteed.

And for anyone curious as to what the trim lighting is supposed to look like:

7BCE6BD3-EB4E-416E-92D1-7C2656269F8C.jpeg42589060-F27A-49C3-ABDD-B7B74871E4F1.jpegB5B9C1BE-239F-4F69-A53F-17BA6BFBF161.jpeg7B0801EA-6BE6-44E7-9195-97E725BBC23C.jpeg1E1B864C-0A1E-4CE7-93D2-5602D5A1499B.jpeg94CC1E6C-826D-4FB5-A12B-B90F3CBCE686.jpeg

Acrylic light bars with light engines affixed at the ends. The light engines contain a LIN driven RGB LED. I see nothing wrong with the design so my complete guess is these were a victim of the chip shortage, but again they're present in the Palladium X catalog so they may be coming back. The corresponding connectors have been present in every S I've inspected and the connectors are powered. In this particular Plaid, the light engines are likely just not receiving any commands.