Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki 2021+ Model S Refresh - Missing/Incomplete Software Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to spend some time on a "Tesla Drive"* app store sandbox. Car Play and Android Auto should also be a focus.

* I already call the hope of an app store "Tesla Drive". Competes with Apple iTunes and Android Play Store.
Tesla will never support CarPlay or Android Auto not because of focus, but because they don't want to.

Tesla will never support CarPlay or Android Auto not because of focus, but because they don't want to.
Tesla doesn't want to be beholden/dependent on Apple or Google. They want to control all the software on your car.
Other manufacturers are generally clueless about software and farm out most of it. They are dependent on Apple and Google.

Reactions: lbowroom
Tesla doesn't want to be beholden/dependent on Apple or Google. They want to control all the software on your car.
Other manufacturers are generally clueless about software and farm out most of it. They are dependent on Apple and Google.
That's all fine and dandy... control it all they want. Apple controls the crap out of iTune apps and Tesla could do the same. At least offer the option. My first Model S had an "app" screen. There was never more than 1 (?) app though... I think it was some kind of calendar or task list app. They considered an app store and then took it out at some point.

That's all fine and dandy... control it all they want. Apple controls the crap out of iTune apps and Tesla could do the same. At least offer the option. My first Model S had an "app" screen. There was never more than 1 (?) app though... I think it was some kind of calendar or task list app. They considered an app store and then took it out at some point.
Tesla will not pay the license fee

Car play and Android auto are not apps.

Does anybody know if there is a way to activate TACC without auto steer?
I find auto steer to be difficult. It gives me frequent nags and disconnects and occasionally panics (I am rigorous about keeping my hands on the wheel but I guess I don't jiggle it enough). It's also a pain to change lanes since it disconnects.
I'd be happy to just have TACC without auto steer.