Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The brakes get better if you bed the pads properly. I was very concerned about poor braking for the first 500 or so miles of regular driving, but it’s gotten better and more precise.

Edit - So for those panicking, don’t! Also the “hold” at stop lights if you’ve brakes hard to get there needs to be avoided during the bedding process.
How does one bed the brakes properly? What does that even mean?

The brakes get better if you bed the pads properly. I was very concerned about poor braking for the first 500 or so miles of regular driving, but it’s gotten better and more precise.

Edit - So for those panicking, don’t! Also the “hold” at stop lights if you’ve brakes hard to get there needs to be avoided during the bedding process.
Bedding brakes is always valuable. Glad you’re reminding folks.

I’ll go a step further on your warning about stopping. One should never stop when bedding brakes. It’s a good way to warp rotors if you’re really bedding brakes but also involves speeds (<30mph) that aren’t useful for bedding brakes.

My favored way to bed brakes:

1: Do this on the Highway with zero traffic around.

2: 60-30 hard braking runs three times in a row. Not so hard that you’re engaging ABS but almost. No need to rush this but do it sequentially, minimize brake cooling.

3: Let the brakes cool. A mile or two of Highway cruising should be way more than enough.

4: 100-50 hard braking runs three times in a row. Same cadence and pedal pressure as before. You should be smelling the brakes at this point. No need to rush but do it sequentially and don’t let the brakes cool much. If you’re getting a lot of brake fade on the second run, let things cool off and then try again. If you get fade on the third run it’s fine.

5: let the brakes cool again. Might take longer cruising time than before just to be sure.

6: just to see if anything needs to be repeated, I’ll do a 100-50, stand on the pedal, ABS engaged run. 99 times out of a hundred it’s good. Once in a blue moon I’ll feel some brake fade that makes me repeat some of the above. Rare.

7: go back to normal driving.

Bedding brakes is always valuable. Glad you’re reminding folks.

I’ll go a step further on your warning about stopping. One should never stop when bedding brakes. It’s a good way to warp rotors if you’re really bedding brakes but also involves speeds (<30mph) that aren’t useful for bedding brakes.

My favored way to bed brakes:

1: Do this on the Highway with zero traffic around.

2: 60-30 hard braking runs three times in a row. Not so hard that you’re engaging ABS but almost. No need to rush this but do it sequentially, minimize brake cooling.

3: Let the brakes cool. A mile or two of Highway cruising should be way more than enough.

4: 100-50 hard braking runs three times in a row. Same cadence and pedal pressure as before. You should be smelling the brakes at this point. No need to rush but do it sequentially and don’t let the brakes cool much. If you’re getting a lot of brake fade on the second run, let things cool off and then try again. If you get fade on the third run it’s fine.

5: let the brakes cool again. Might take longer cruising time than before just to be sure.

6: just to see if anything needs to be repeated, I’ll do a 100-50, stand on the pedal, ABS engaged run. 99 times out of a hundred it’s good. Once in a blue moon I’ll feel some brake fade that makes me repeat some of the above. Rare.

7: go back to normal driving.
And here is another version of bedding from a member…there are a couple of brake threads you’ll want to join to track upgrade options.
Post in thread 'Racing Brake XT910 vs XT970'
Racing Brake XT910 vs XT970

D6716803-44D1-4DD9-96C5-3C29867861DA.jpeg
All ppf’d, tinted and ceramic’d.
Now to drive the heck outta it!
Oh wait! I’m trying to get that FSD beta! Motherfvkker !!!

This is crazy. I have a delivery appointment for next Wednesday and I still haven't gotten a call from a SA. I was hoping they could not install the front license plate holder.
It has to be delivered with it on, but I removed mine today. Didn't even need to heat it, just used fishing line and it sliced right through the 3m tape. Pulled right off after that and the remainder was easy to roll off with my finger. A little wax got the last little bit! Took 10 min.