Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always expressed this sentiment as well. But now I am so frustrated I am beginning to thing this could be true. I see people with June and July orders with the same configuration - a common one- getting cars all the while Tesla screws with me.
My exact build was sitting in stock (in CA) the other day - that almost pushed me over the edge.

RN1150 May ‘21 order. White/white 19” Central NJ.
Finally got into my date range Jan 8 - Feb 5 yesterday. (Which I had for ~8 weeks) Was told by SA to expect car by end of this month around 3 days ago.
Today new dates are: Jan 28 - Feb 25th.
Hopefully this new range is temporary otherwise yet another disappointing and aggravating bump..

Is the prevailing thought that white interiors are batch delivered around the same time? I have a RN1151 placed circa June 2020 w/ white interior. Current delivery estimate is February 2022. Local SC said delivery could move forward or backwards, which isn't very helpful.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I have always expressed this sentiment as well. But now I am so frustrated I am beginning to thing this could be true. I see people with June and July orders with the same configuration - a common one- getting cars all the while Tesla screws with me.
Agree. It's funny because I deliberately avoided checking the forums for several months in the Sept-early Dec timeframe because I kept seeing people get their cars that had ordered weeks or even a month or two after me. Come back to find almost all of the old forum regulars back in April/May of 21 appeared to be gone (had gotten their cars, I could only assume), and the new crew seemed to be all May orders or later. Still, they were receiving VINs. At some point it gets offensive (not the other buyers, Tesla), and I'd honestly rather not know about it.

What's especially frustrating about it is that I didn't even know if I could force the issue with Tesla. I kept playing out "what if" scenarios wherein Tesla simply chose to never sell me the car at the price I ordered at and didn't canceled my order. After all, there's enough BS in the purchase agreement for them to wiggle out of being forced to do so pretty much indefinitely. Would I even have a legal leg to stand on if it were mid-2023 and I still didn't have my car? I don't know.

I realize that it's not the end of the world having to wait months to years (in my case from order date to the date I received my VIN was about 11.5 months) for a high end vehicle like this, but there are definitely financial impacts to doing so. I never sold my car or applied for credit early, but the softening used car market could still cost me thousands between being able to buy last July vice this March. It's telling that the trade in valuation for my M3 has fluctuated by over $8k since i ordered the car. Luckily it's not at its lowest now, but it's certainly not at its peak.

This prioritization of customers paying more or those that are closer to the factory makes obvious business sense, but it's just really bad form, and one that reveals an ugly result of a direct sales model for auto retail. Ordering from BMW or Audi dealers in the past was a simple matter of understanding how long the list of orders are ahead of me and getting on it if I chose to. Dealers had a certain number of allocations per month from the manufacturer, and knowing how many are on the list was a virtual guarantee to knowing how long it would be until I got mine. Never in a million years would I face this kind of BS, where it could be anywhere from 1 month (I've even seen less) to well over 1 year between order and delivery. The whole thing is a massive turnoff, and will make me think very hard about buying from Tesla ever again. Hopefully, the competition will get good enough that Tesla will have to worry about more than engineering a great product at a good price. From some of the other EV models coming to market from BMW, Audi, and even Hyundai, I have some hope.

Reactions: CongoBongo
Is the prevailing thought that white interiors are batch delivered around the same time? I have a RN1151 placed circa June 2020 w/ white interior. Current delivery estimate is February 2022. Local SC said delivery could move forward or backwards, which isn't very helpful.
Not sure. But as of yesterday, mine (white LR/white/19's ordered June 10) is "on target to be delivered around Feb 5th, give or take few days depending on weather/transportation". My EDD has been stuck where it is for several weeks now. So we shall see.

Not sure. But as of yesterday, mine (white LR/white/19's ordered June 10) is "on target to be delivered around Feb 5th, give or take few days depending on weather/transportation". My EDD has been stuck where it is for several weeks now. So we shall see.
I have a feeling that's the case. After >2 month of holding steady at a 4 weeks windows b/w late Feb to late March, yesterday it was actually updated to a 2 weeks window b/w Jan 26th to Feb 9th!

And that date was provided to you by?? Is it some magical SA?

I also see that your location is USA and not any specific city, so you’re good to go 👍😊

My exact build also. And they listed this vehicle on their inventory. I called on it and it is gone.

The SA said that even if it is my exact match, if it is not at the location where I ordered it from that I would have to pay the price increase as I am a preprice increase order rn1151.

Honestly, what I was expecting. Every time I talk to them I expect some miracle but I am always gently disappointed.

He did tell me that I am currently in my EDD (Jan 7 to Feb 4) and should be expecting a VIN any day now. I did an internal sigh and thought about educating him that I was likely going to get pushed back but didn't want him to put any bad notes on my file 😃.

View attachment 753140
Those are not 2021 refresh fog lamps. Did they change them for 22 already or is this an older stock photo ?

Guys! I have achieved the impossible. I managed to get matched to an inventory car that matched my configuration exactly!!!!!
It was in transit to Dublin CA. The lady was super helpful and got me matched without price going up. $15k discount secured haha.

Those Red/White interior pop up in a blue moon haha.

I HAVE A VIN BABY!!!!
5YJSA1E58NF467

467 is a pretty new I hear

*Edit: EDD Jan 23 - 27

Last edited:
Guys! I have achieved the impossible. I managed to get matched to an inventory car that matched my configuration exactly!!!!!
It was in transit to Dublin CA. The lady was super helpful and got me matched without price going up. $15k discount secured haha.

Those Red/White interior pop up in a blue moon haha.

I HAVE A VIN BABY!!!!
5YJSA1E58NF467

467 is a pretty new I hear
Congrats! Well out of the loop for VIN tracking, but it follows the sequential order that I recall. Ask the same individual for a born on date.

Congrats! Well out of the loop for VIN tracking, but it follows the sequential order that I recall. Ask the same individual for a born on date.
I'd have to give them another call for that. I promised myself I wouldn't lose track of the important questions but when she said "we got it!" I forgot all of them 😅
I wonder if this website's approximate is accurate

Shows a factory gate of the 7th

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-095559.png
    Screenshot_20220110-095559.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 74
I entered my EDD yesterday and haven't slid yet. I think that means I can show up at Tesla and take any car on the lot, right?
Jimmy, I'm a fellow "black/white" order and my EDD starts 1/16, so I'm hoping mine is still on track also! Although I'll be out of the country from Feb 1 - 18, so I have a sad feeling that's exactly when my car will arrive and I'll have to miss it! Given all the EDD slips, all I need is one more minor one to have my car arrive in late Feb, which would be perfect, timing-wise for me! Or sometime in late January would be even better!

I don't think they are screwing over older orders like ours on purpose, wonder if this was from a cancelled delivery in the area that it showed up.

I may be naive in thinking that Elon is not the type of guy to screw his early adopters like us; especially compared to other more corrupt CEOs like Mary Barra (GM), etc.
I'm with you.
If they have something in inventory "nearby" and you buy "now" at a higher price, then yeah, you'll get it sooner.
I think it's a function of product AND the logistics of the location.
I can see a guy in Timbuktu getting his before me, if there was an orderway before him that fell through.
I once did the math, I think for the LR there are 64 or 32 permutations (i don't remember) not counting FSD (as that is software) - so if configuration A falls through for someone, they get the next one in line with the configuration A order. It SEEMS like it's newer pricier orders, but it MAY be a cooincidence.
Now, what irks/is strange, is if you order a new S for example, if you leave it completely stock, I think it's a November delivery. Change ANYTHING and then it becomes a June delivery (EDDs of course, reality is another story).
there is no logical reason I can see, that a white, black interior, 19" S should take longer to produce than a white, black interior 21" S. for that matter, change any one thing (so T gets at least $1,500 more, cheapest thing being paint) and you get the car sooner, but it also applies to the interior.
so yeah, you CAN see some pricing bias there.
it's POSSIBLE they'll say, "let's go one legacy order for every 5 newer orders) but i think that would continue to be a logistical nightmare.
I do think overall they try to go in order number, with the exceptions of end of quarter california deliveries, and of course, if an order falls through and it goes to the next guy.
if they tackled all the lower priced orders at once, it woudl still be nice revenue, and then an equal amount next cycle would be higher revenue (more profits) so that would look better on the balance sheet, if i'm correct.