Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Refresh - white interior thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, one of the three plaids sitting on the lot was gone as of yesterday. Two left. Rest of the lot still mostly bare. The little gas station satellite lot totally empty. Im guessing truckloads will be arriving in the coming weeks to refill for pending orders
I'm hoping this semi-pause was to allow for the headlight/taillight swap out. I think Tesla has to be delivering those cars the moment it announces that or they'll get a ton of deferred deliveries.

I'm hoping this semi-pause was to allow for the headlight/taillight swap out. I think Tesla has to be delivering those cars the moment it announces that or they'll get a ton of deferred deliveries.
I don't they would get a ton of deferred deliveries tbh. This is a very small detail, and one probably 98% of order holders won't even notice, let alone wait for. A lot of people just want their Model S lol.
However, if I had to guess, I would say that every Model S currently coming off the line as I type this likely has those new taillights and headlights. So I do think they are imminent!😀

well my car has been in the shop since my post (dec 27th). Supposedly they said it wasn't an inverter issue, they weren't too sure what the issue was so it went to engineering. Engineering stated it was a firmware bug (doesn't make sense as we're all running the same firmware), still don't know when I'll get my car back.

I keep bugging tesla to give me a loaner and they respond by "working on it" but still nothing. They try to supplement it by giving me 100 dollars uber credit for each day in the shop, which is not the same as having a car. The SA's give me minimal updates and it takes them a few days for them to respond to my messages, so definitely not a good experience so far.
Are you in Orange County? My car was also in for service on the 27th and I was able to get a loaner from the Irvine service center.

BTW, Irvine Service has a holding lot that is next to a dirt lot. So after 11 days, my car was a disaster with gritty dust and dirt all over it. They do not have a car wash at the Irvine location.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I don't they would get a ton of deferred deliveries tbh. This is a very small detail, and one probably 98% of order holders won't even notice, let alone wait for. A lot of people just want their Model S lol.
However, if I had to guess, I would say that every Model S currently coming off the line as I type this likely has those new taillights and headlights. So I do think they are imminent!😀
I'd love your advice/suggestion please (not just @EndlessPlaid but anyone else who will chime in)
I have a 465 VIN, EDD is presently 1/18-1/24.
I can call the SC today and find out where my car is (has the vin been revoked again???) - anyway, i can ask about the lights, and they'll likely not know.
I have seen other folks, including myself, get a second VIN roughly 3 weeks after the first, sometimes a bit sooner, sometimes a bit later.
if the car i'm slotted to does NOT have the upgrades (I got the vin last week, so i think it was built last week) should i grab it, or wait?
if i wait 3 more weeks, that's fine, i may have enough sanity left.
but if the line shuts, shortages, etc. - i'd rather not wait more months.
What essentially is the go/no go threshhold? I knew in November, if I got an MF vin i'd reject (not so when i was leasing in May, but yes so now that i'm buying)
i don't know if the newer lights would increase resale, but i think i'd prefer them - my benz has amazing lights, and i've heard mixed things about the S.
thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

I'd love your advice/suggestion please (not just @EndlessPlaid but anyone else who will chime in)
I have a 465 VIN, EDD is presently 1/18-1/24.
I can call the SC today and find out where my car is (has the vin been revoked again???) - anyway, i can ask about the lights, and they'll likely not know.
I have seen other folks, including myself, get a second VIN roughly 3 weeks after the first, sometimes a bit sooner, sometimes a bit later.
if the car i'm slotted to does NOT have the upgrades (I got the vin last week, so i think it was built last week) should i grab it, or wait?
if i wait 3 more weeks, that's fine, i may have enough sanity left.
but if the line shuts, shortages, etc. - i'd rather not wait more months.
What essentially is the go/no go threshhold? I knew in November, if I got an MF vin i'd reject (not so when i was leasing in May, but yes so now that i'm buying)
i don't know if the newer lights would increase resale, but i think i'd prefer them - my benz has amazing lights, and i've heard mixed things about the S.
thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.
my friend just get the car and hope it is a good build and get to enjoy it. Hell with the lights the existing ones look great assuming they work!!!!

okay, so I called the SC (where the calls go to a random local SA) - i would NOT want to play poker against this guy.
1) no knowledge, or at least announcement or confirmation of updated lights - he said take as a rumor, and i'd rather you have a pleasant suprise than expect it and get disappointed
2) i mentioned i thought about bumping this car, and waiting for a new vin - he pretty much recommended against that.

i believe that if he had knowledge of the lights, he might have said, "you may want to consider doing that" (bumping the vin) or something to that effect, bearing in mind these calls are monitored.

i also couldn't get from him where the car was (if it left Fremont or not) but he did confirm that unlike last time, this car was actually built and exists.
he expects it to hit the SC in a week (1/18 is the exact start of my EDD) and he said around then I should get the text requesting the 3 day pick up window.

i'd love to clear my calendar for a pick up, but frankly can't - and i'd rather not drive out their during rush hour, but it is what it is.
the SC closes at 7, my prior pick up times were seemingly much earlier (I'd love to pick up on a Saturday, that would give me all the time in the world) - but if I am limited to a tuesday, wednesday, thursday frame, that's not so bad either :)

okay, so I called the SC (where the calls go to a random local SA) - i would NOT want to play poker against this guy.
1) no knowledge, or at least announcement or confirmation of updated lights - he said take as a rumor, and i'd rather you have a pleasant suprise than expect it and get disappointed
2) i mentioned i thought about bumping this car, and waiting for a new vin - he pretty much recommended against that.

i believe that if he had knowledge of the lights, he might have said, "you may want to consider doing that" (bumping the vin) or something to that effect, bearing in mind these calls are monitored.

i also couldn't get from him where the car was (if it left Fremont or not) but he did confirm that unlike last time, this car was actually built and exists.
he expects it to hit the SC in a week (1/18 is the exact start of my EDD) and he said around then I should get the text requesting the 3 day pick up window.

i'd love to clear my calendar for a pick up, but frankly can't - and i'd rather not drive out their during rush hour, but it is what it is.
the SC closes at 7, my prior pick up times were seemingly much earlier (I'd love to pick up on a Saturday, that would give me all the time in the world) - but if I am limited to a tuesday, wednesday, thursday frame, that's not so bad either :)
There is ZERO chance he would suggest you bump the VIN if he is being recorded. Seems like a fireable offense to me.

Are you in Orange County? My car was also in for service on the 27th and I was able to get a loaner from the Irvine service center.

BTW, Irvine Service has a holding lot that is next to a dirt lot. So after 11 days, my car was a disaster with gritty dust and dirt all over it. They do not have a car wash at the Irvine location.

Oh wow, yeah I am. Tesla roadside assistance flatbed my car to Buena Park; I don't think there is a dirt lot there? My SA keeps saying they are gonna get me a loaner, via enterprise, but never follow through with it. Looking at my teslafi, my car hasn't been moved for like 7 days, just sleeps wakes up and sleeps.

I understand but that doesn't help me. :) - I called my lease company about buying my current vehicle (that I don't want to buy). I think this could go on for months more and I won't have a car soon.
Learned that my car was completed yesterday and is currently at the rail yard. Should have it in about ten days if all goes well. The real question is do I return my lease? If get it back before the 15th I save a month of $$.

Last edited:
Learned that my car was completed yesterday and is currently at the rail yard. Should have it in about ten days if all goes well. The real question is do I return my lease? If get it back before the 15th I save a month of $$.
I set my delivery date for the 21st, 11 a.m., springfield. I coudln't get a location for my car when i called earlier, so i'm not sure if in Fremont or transit, I was told can be as quick as 6 days to NJ.
As for dumping your lease - well, if it works out, it's great.
if it doesn't work out (my prior vin was never built, and it was a 3 week delay for me) so if you had to rent a car for 3 weeks, you'd be behind the lease cost most likely.
there is also a very small chance that maybe you'd reject the car.
not to spend your money, but i'd probably turn the lease in AFTER you had your new baby in your driveway. Just my .02, probably worth half of that.

There's a LR red with white interior in inventory if anyone is interested

Yeah, if not same one, there is one within 200 miles of Austin area. LR, Red, Cream, 2021 model - I bet its from the bastard lot with like an MF430 range VIN.

Oh wow, yeah I am. Tesla roadside assistance flatbed my car to Buena Park; I don't think there is a dirt lot there? My SA keeps saying they are gonna get me a loaner, via enterprise, but never follow through with it. Looking at my teslafi, my car hasn't been moved for like 7 days, just sleeps wakes up and sleeps.
Yup. Same. Just longer haha 😂 looks like you're in the same endless service loop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220111-203905.png
    Screenshot_20220111-203905.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20220111-203844.png
    Screenshot_20220111-203844.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 57

I'd wait for an S with new lights at this point. I've come from a 2018 Model 3 and the lights were so much better than the S, and that didn't have the new matrix lights. The low beams on the current S are shite. I'm really hoping there's a way to retrofit them :(