Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S Refresh Wireless Charging - and Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S Plaid and was thinking of picking up the Google Pixel 6 or the Google Pixel 6 Pro. My primary reason is to use the wireless charging capability in the Model S. Can anyone who has purchased this phone confirm that the Google Pixel 6 or 6 Pro wirelessly charges in the Model S refresh?

Part of my concern is that the phone's camera bump does not allow it to lay flat enough to connect with the OEM charger.

While I can't confirm first-hand I can tell you that that shouldn't be a problem. Wireless charging isn't anywhere near as picky as it once was. My Samsung from a couple of years ago wears a case and has a metal plate that takes up a massive portion of the rear of the phone for my magnetic mounts. It still charges wirelessly just fine every night on a no name off-brand wireless charging stand. Has for years. I know what you mean about that camera visor across the rear of the new Pixel 6 standing out but my best guess is that you'll be just fine. I'm sure someone will come along to verify first-hand but I'd put a small sum of money on the option for you'll be alright. Excellent taste in cars and phones BTW. ;)

Warning: Pixel 6 rant ahead...
Unrelated but I really wish Google had made a smaller, more standard size version of that phone rather than one massive and one massive-er because I really wanted to like the new Pixel. My wife and I had Pixel 1, 2 & 3 and loved them. Mine was the XL and it was just too large IMO. I have quite large hands and it still just wasn't an easy care-free single-hand-use affair. We went to Samsung S10e (not a bad phone for the money, surprisingly) and when I went back to a phone that was the same relative size as the non-XL Pixels I instantly realized how much better that size profile was after arguing the benefits of the larger XL screen for years. I was fully ready to hop on a couple of standard size Pixels until they revealed that the smaller version of the 6 is the same dimensions of the 3 XL and the Pro is even larger. No thanks. Just venting here because I really wish they had stuck with a true standard and an XL version closer to what every other manufacturer has done for years. Or, at a minimum, make three. Not sure what made them think everyone wanted a phablet in their pocket but I'm really tired of this Samsung bloatware. Looks like I'll be sourcing a couple of used Pixel 5's most likely.

While I can't confirm first-hand I can tell you that that shouldn't be a problem. Wireless charging isn't anywhere near as picky as it once was. My Samsung from a couple of years ago wears a case and has a metal plate that takes up a massive portion of the rear of the phone for my magnetic mounts. It still charges wirelessly just fine every night on a no name off-brand wireless charging stand. Has for years. I know what you mean about that camera visor across the rear of the new Pixel 6 standing out but my best guess is that you'll be just fine. I'm sure someone will come along to verify first-hand but I'd put a small sum of money on the option for you'll be alright. Excellent taste in cars and phones BTW. ;)

Warning: Pixel 6 rant ahead...
Unrelated but I really wish Google had made a smaller, more standard size version of that phone rather than one massive and one massive-er because I really wanted to like the new Pixel. My wife and I had Pixel 1, 2 & 3 and loved them. Mine was the XL and it was just too large IMO. I have quite large hands and it still just wasn't an easy care-free single-hand-use affair. We went to Samsung S10e (not a bad phone for the money, surprisingly) and when I went back to a phone that was the same relative size as the non-XL Pixels I instantly realized how much better that size profile was after arguing the benefits of the larger XL screen for years. I was fully ready to hop on a couple of standard size Pixels until they revealed that the smaller version of the 6 is the same dimensions of the 3 XL and the Pro is even larger. No thanks. Just venting here because I really wish they had stuck with a true standard and an XL version closer to what every other manufacturer has done for years. Or, at a minimum, make three. Not sure what made them think everyone wanted a phablet in their pocket but I'm really tired of this Samsung bloatware. Looks like I'll be sourcing a couple of used Pixel 5's most likely.
Seems like the 5 would be perfect size for you. I'm the opposite. I like the bigger phones although I think even the 6 pro is too big. It's just longer rather than longer and wider.

Seems like the 5 would be perfect size for you. I'm the opposite. I like the bigger phones although I think even the 6 pro is too big. It's just longer rather than longer and wider.
Yeah, I think so too. I was hoping they would go on sale just prior to the Pixel 6 launching but due to supply constraints they just sold everything they made at full price instead. Big sad. Hopefully I can find some lightly used and well-cared-for Pixel 5's because I've got a few friends with them and I've been peanut butter & jelly ever since they came out about a year ago.