Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S Tail Lights Modification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1631404628657.jpeg

I’m looking to mod my tail lights to diffuse similarly to the Model 3, Y, and X.

Does anyone know of any prior attempts at replacing or modding the Model S tail lights to be more diffused? I imagine the project would entail:
  1. Removing the tail light assemblies
  2. Cutting open the tail lights
  3. Wrap the lenses with diffusion film (unsure which)
  4. Reassemble and weld/glue the tail lights
  5. Replace tail lights
Or I wonder if a dark wrap with cut outs could also work.

I think the tail lights are the most outdated piece of the design and could use a bit of work to modernize. The clear plastic on the sides also don’t fit into the overall car’s aesthetic. If anyone has any tips or ideas on how to go about this project, leave a comment below! Thanks

1631404778850.png

Please please do not use VHT nightshades. The lights are already dark in nature. Are you looking to black them out?

The blacked-out look is definitely not for me for any color of car IMO.

If you are going to do it, I would disassemble the lights with the process you outlined. This is an expensive car do not spray the outsides with any kind of lense tine PLEASE 😭

Please please do not use VHT nightshades. The lights are already dark in nature. Are you looking to black them out?

The blacked-out look is definitely not for me for any color of car IMO.

If you are going to do it, I would disassemble the lights with the process you outlined. This is an expensive car do not spray the outsides with any kind of lense tine PLEASE 😭
Absolutely not. I’m thinking plastic diffusers or a film diffuser to wrap the led strips individually.

Not black out but I want to replicate the new tail lights of the 3, Y, X

Absolutely not. I’m thinking plastic diffusers or a film diffuser to wrap the led strips individually.

Not black out but I want to replicate the new tail lights of the 3, Y, X
That should look great. I'm not entirely sure, but I have heard back in the day of people baking the lights to loosen up the adhesive on the lenses. I'm not sure if that is still a thing.

Reactions: Maximus023
View attachment 708235

I’m looking to mod my tail lights to diffuse similarly to the Model 3, Y, and X.

Does anyone know of any prior attempts at replacing or modding the Model S tail lights to be more diffused? I imagine the project would entail:
  5. Replace tail lights

I think the tail lights are the most outdated piece of the design and could use a bit of work to modernize. The clear plastic on the sides also don’t fit into the overall car’s aesthetic. If anyone has any tips or ideas on how to go about this project, leave a comment below! Thanks

View attachment 708239
Did you ever figure this out? Been wanting to do the same

View attachment 708235

5. Replace tail lights

View attachment 708239

One easy way to make the tail lights look MUCH better is this:

One easy way to make the tail lights look MUCH better is this:
Which one is to choose? 50% or 35%..

Which one is to choose? 50% or 35%..
Ultimately up to you, but here are a few considerations:

1. If your MS is black, the 35% looks better. Mine is black so I keep the 35% on the back and 50% on the front (headlights & foglight)
2. If your car is white, the 50% looks better, the 35% looks a bit too dark (personal opinion)...
3. You get a bit of light reducement with 35% but hardly noticeable

So generally, at least my personal preference - dark color car - dark tint (35%). Light colored car - lighter tint too (50%). Other than that they are pretty much the same in terms of material & installation.

Reactions: baldwin