Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S tires and wheels: all things (Plaid, LR, OEM, aftermkt, 19, 20, 21, summer, winter etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm at a bit of a loss. Wondering if I should 1) just deal with the noise, which is annoying at highway speeds and ARNC doesn't bloody do anything 2) Buy a new set of the same tire and hope there's no noise or 3) Get some PS4 Summers and try and find a good wheel and tire combo for winter (There's no winter tires in 285/35/20 and 305/35/20).

I'd probably deal with the noise OR accept the 50% off and get PS4 summer tires. I wouldn't buy a new set of the same tires. Cheers

Reactions: mswlogo and scrapps
So here's where I'm at.
I took car to a local Michelin approved dealer for an inspection as per Michelin's instructions.
They measured the treadwear which was even and reported back to Michelin.
Michelin, while on the phone with the tire shop, offered me 30% credit towards a new set of Michelin tires.
I scoffed and walked out not very happy.
I called Michelin and explained I that I wasn't happy with being so much out of pocket for a set of tires I deemed faulty. They raised that offer to 40% credit to which I reiterated my unhappiness about being so much out of pocket.
They raised it to a supervisor.
I spoke to the supervisor who was very apologetic, but said because the tires have wear on them it's not a warranty claim, but offered a 50% credit and said that's unfortunately the best he could do.
I said what happens if I put a new set of the same tires on and have the same problem. He said then it won't be the tires, it will probably be something mechanical like wheel bearings (I don't believe this).

So I'm at a bit of a loss. Wondering if I should 1) just deal with the noise, which is annoying at highway speeds and ARNC doesn't bloody do anything 2) Buy a new set of the same tire and hope there's no noise or 3) Get some PS4 Summers and try and find a good wheel and tire combo for winter (There's no winter tires in 285/35/20 and 305/35/20).

Did you see the second post in this thread?

Those tires are known to have a howling issue.

2021+ Model S tires and wheels: all things (Plaid, LR, OEM, aftermkt, 19, 20, 21, summer, winter etc.)

I am having trouble finding the answer to this question.

Does anyone know if the old 19" Slipstreams will fit on a Palladium LR? I have a set of them with winter tires from my old P100D and was wondering if I can use them on my Palladium LR. I know they will not stick out quite as much as they are thinner, but I don't mind.

Sizing differences.
The refreshed MS 19” wheels/tires are asymmetrical (rears is our wider than the fronts)
My Model S 100D has P245/45R19
My Plaid Model S…
7A37DA10-A1F2-45BC-BFAA-4E65F753C062.jpeg

I am having trouble finding the answer to this question.

Does anyone know if the old 19" Slipstreams will fit on a Palladium LR? I have a set of them with winter tires from my old P100D and was wondering if I can use them on my Palladium LR. I know they will not stick out quite as much as they are thinner, but I don't mind.
I’d say when the Plaid comes, try them out. If they don’t foul on the upper control knuckle, the brake caliper or the air strut, you’re fine!

However the load rating of the tire you’re using better be more than 101 if you do t want a pothole blowout

Sizing differences.
The refreshed MS 19” wheels/tires are asymmetrical (rears is our wider than the fronts)
My Model S 100D has P245/45R19
My Plaid Model S…
View attachment 848348

Right, the stock wheels aren't the same size but that alone wouldn't be an issue. I know the bolt pattern is the same, I've seen someone has reported they were able to install the old 21" wheels on a refrehs.

I’d say when the Plaid comes, try them out. If they don’t foul on the upper control knuckle, the brake caliper or the air strut, you’re fine!

However the load rating of the tire you’re using better be more than 101 if you do t want a pothole blowout

I do have my new car but I've always just had someone else swap the wheels on for me since I've usually needed something done at the same time, be it brake cleaning or whatnot. I should probably pick up a jack and torque wrench, but this time again I'll need to have someone install new TPMS sensors on my old wheels in the case they do fit on the new car.

I'm not sure what the load rating is on the tires, they're Pirelli Sottozero 3's that came with the wheel+tire package I purchased from Tesla for my P100D. That car is more powerful so if they work there should should work on my new LR.

Right, the stock wheels aren't the same size but that alone wouldn't be an issue. I know the bolt pattern is the same, I've seen someone has reported they were able to install the old 21" wheels on a refrehs.

I do have my new car but I've always just had someone else swap the wheels on for me since I've usually needed something done at the same time, be it brake cleaning or whatnot. I should probably pick up a jack and torque wrench, but this time again I'll need to have someone install new TPMS sensors on my old wheels in the case they do fit on the new car.

I'm not sure what the load rating is on the tires, they're Pirelli Sottozero 3's that came with the wheel+tire package I purchased from Tesla for my P100D. That car is more powerful so if they work there should should work on my new LR.
Load rating is about weight not power. The tire load rating is marked on the tire. Look for something that has a number and an alphabet near where the tire size is imprinted… for example 99W indicates a load rating of 1709lbs per tire.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Load rating is about weight not power. The tire load rating is marked on the tire. Look for something that has a number and an alphabet near where the tire size is imprinted… for example 99W indicates a load rating of 1709lbs per tire.

The new S is also lighter than the old one by about 400lbs. But I'll check and confirm.

Following this latest exchange closely as I plan on going with 20's on my S.

I might be mistaken but I thought I read somewhere else on one of these threads another S owner was having noise issues in these wider sizes (285/305). I was thinking of going 265/295 to be on the safe side.
I know this is an old thread but FWIW I got 265/295 20” PSAS4s on my 2022 Plaid and have the howl. They are too new for me to assess if it does go away with mileage like it has for a few folks on here. Back in Jun 2021, when my first Plaid (sold since then due to other reasons) with the same tires had the same howl issue, I had connected with a lot of members here and only one did not have the issue and they were running 255/285.

I know this is an old thread but FWIW I got 265/295 20” PSAS4s on my 2022 Plaid and have the howl. They are too new for me to assess if it does go away with mileage like it has for a few folks on here. Back in Jun 2021, when my first Plaid (sold since then due to other reasons) with the same tires had the same howl issue, I had connected with a lot of members here and only one did not have the issue and they were running 255/285.
Just double check and make sure you turn off Active Noise Reduction in the audio settings. I think it makes the howl worse.

Reactions: rpan25
I'm outside of that by a couple of weeks and I have 'wear' on them. So the lesson to be learnt here is not to wait until you have 1000 miles on them to see if the noise goes away (as some had reported).
Hi there - I am having similar issues with my Model Y LR. I got new tires Pirelli Pzero all season plus 275/40r20 and AG M520r 20-inch wheels. I am noticing some howl or humming sound when I go past 65mph. but more than 65 or less doesn't seem to be the issue. Pirelli said they will need to inspect the tires and need to be sent back or they give me 15% off to buy a new set of tires. Its ridiculous. I want to rule out that its the tires and not something like wheel bearing, etc.

This is why I bought 19". Keeping those, and putting winter tires on them, and getting a 20" 9.5/10.5 staggered setup from Signature (SV107's). Two sets of rims.
Did you end up biting the bullet on the signature wheels? Where you thinking 20" staggered over 19" for apperance and range/acceleration/weight? And keeping staggered vs square setup for traction over tire rotation ability/longevity?