Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S tires and wheels: all things (Plaid, LR, OEM, aftermkt, 19, 20, 21, summer, winter etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about all season tires to fit these new rims? Anybody found any?
For the OEM 19” wheels, there are the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, which is a Ultra High Performance All Season tire. This would suffice in places that get occasional snow in the winter. Available at Tire Rack:

Tire Rack looks to have both the Michelin Pilot Sport All seasons, which get great reviews on Tire rack, and they also have the OEM Continental All Seasons for the Model S. I was an unlucky recipient who took delivery in early September in the northeast with 19" Summer tires, so I'm looking to swap to all seasons.

The Michelin's get better reviews, but none of those reviews are from folks driving a Tesla. And I don't think the Michelins have the inner foam for noise reduction? I'm leaning towards the OEM all seasons...

The Michelin will most likely have better winter traction. They’ll actually be better than the Conti’s in any condition since they are a UHP AS tire. The Conti’s are ”grand touring AS” tires so they are definitely not going to grip as well but may have better rolling resistance. In regards to the foam, I’ve read mixed reports in regards to whether or not they actually significantly reduce road noise.

If folks are going to switch out their summer tires in the winter and switch back to summer tires, you should really get winter tires instead of all seasons.

Even in the dry cold,but especially in wet or icy cold, the winter tires are so much better

Reactions: Bitjockey
If folks are going to switch out their summer tires in the winter and switch back to summer tires, you should really get winter tires instead of all seasons.

Even in the dry cold,but especially in wet or icy cold, the winter tires are so much better
I’d be careful with that statement because we should really differentiate between the 2 types of winter tires. ”Performance winter” tires will definitely do better than all seasons in the cold/wet scenario, but those classified as “studless snow/ice” winter tires actually do worse in cold/wet than ultra high performance all seasons. I’ve compared countless charts on tirerack and have noticed this pattern pretty consistently.

If you live in an area where there is snow on the ground more days than not, then you should probably have a studless or performance winter tire. However, there are a lot of people that live in areas that only get snow a few times per year but still cold and wet and can’t run summers year-round. An ultra high performance all season should suffice for those folks year-round, but if you’re really concerned, a performance winter would be better than a studless winter tire for folks that live in those areas since wet traction is not great with studless winters.

I am so confused. Have a S LR on order (19”) and am interested in a winter wheel and tire package. Has anyone tried the tire rack offering - 19” Rial Lugano OE Cap rims (they are 19” x 8.5“ - narrower than OEM rims) and 255/45-19 tires (pirelli sottozero 3)? Is there an issue with narrower rims? Price is much better than Tsportline, who now only have 20” and in a very chunky and heavy looking rim.

I’d be careful with that statement because we should really differentiate between the 2 types of winter tires. ”Performance winter” tires will definitely do better than all seasons in the cold/wet scenario, but those classified as “studless snow/ice” winter tires actually do worse in cold/wet than ultra high performance all seasons. I’ve compared countless charts on tirerack and have noticed this pattern pretty consistently.

If you live in an area where there is snow on the ground more days than not, then you should probably have a studless or performance winter tire. However, there are a lot of people that live in areas that only get snow a few times per year but still cold and wet and can’t run summers year-round. An ultra high performance all season should suffice for those folks year-round, but if you’re really concerned, a performance winter would be better than a studless winter tire for folks that live in those areas since wet traction is not great with studless winters.
If you get a v rated.and XL rated, and you should, you are getting performance winter tire.

Studless arent available with those ratings and not really in the relevant sizes either.

I spoke too soon. I’m having an extremely hard time finding the 295/30/21 Pilot Sport 4S. Tesla came back and said even they don’t have them in stock. They checked with a few local service centers also…

I’m hoping they can order them and have them soon but Michelin themselves is struggling to provide tires with all the supply chain chaos.
Do you know what offset your wheels are front and rear?

Do you know what offset your wheels are front and rear?

I’m not sure! But I will check. Also, I was able to find the 295s at Tesla for a very reasonable price!

Jamie @ Signature Wheel shipped out the new wheels yesterday. Getting close!

Attachments

• 8D43AB06-436C-47FC-B909-FABD1F8A33D7.jpeg
    8D43AB06-436C-47FC-B909-FABD1F8A33D7.jpeg
    952.5 KB · Views: 100