Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S tires and wheels: all things (Plaid, LR, OEM, aftermkt, 19, 20, 21, summer, winter etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think using the stock 19” with Tesla specified winter tires listed above (PZero Winter or Contis — or if you are in Canada, the Nokians) would be best.

I would be interested in a square setup if that still handled ok. I’ve seen that some people are putting their square older Model S wheels on the 2021 models but I would be reluctant to do that.
I just tried to install my 19" with Nokians that worked on my P85D and P100D on my Plaid. They did not fit. the clearance from the brake shield to the inside of the rim was mm way too close. That is too bad as I have at least two more winter seasons on those tires. Now I am scrambling to buy winter tires and rims - and Tesla does not seem to have a package on the website?

I just tried to install my 19" with Nokians that worked on my P85D and P100D on my Plaid. They did not fit. the clearance from the brake shield to the inside of the rim was mm way too close. That is too bad as I have at least two more winter seasons on those tires. Now I am scrambling to buy winter tires and rims - and Tesla does not seem to have a package on the website?
It would fit if you removed the brake shield then?

It would fit if you removed the brake shield then?
Perhaps - not sure why would want to do that though - salt/snow/build up - in part protected by the shield. BUt either way - callsed tesla and they recommend against it. Bit surprising as there is (as you know) a 19" option - not sure why this one so tight - the interior of the rim must have different configuration in the 2021 19" vs the 2020 and earlier.

Perhaps - not sure why would want to do that though - salt/snow/build up - in part protected by the shield. But either way - called tesla and they recommend against it. Bit surprising as there is (as you know) a 19" option - not sure why this one so tight - the interior of the rim must have different configuration in the 2021 19" vs the 2020 and earlier.
M thought is it's not a big deal to remove shields given that a BBK requires it to install but I can see your reluctance if you're by the book. Just trying to save you money.

I just tried to install my 19" with Nokians that worked on my P85D and P100D on my Plaid. They did not fit. the clearance from the brake shield to the inside of the rim was mm way too close. That is too bad as I have at least two more winter seasons on those tires. Now I am scrambling to buy winter tires and rims - and Tesla does not seem to have a package on the website
Cut the shields...

M thought is it's not a big deal to remove shields given that a BBK requires it to install but I can see your reluctance if you're by the book. Just trying to save you money.
I debated it for sure but looks like might be more at play with the width etc - since it is brand new and both Tesla and my own shop said don't do it I didnt' - was worried about the warranty :-(

245 mm tires are the minimum for 9.5” wide wheels. I wonder if you could put the Nokians on the 9.5” wide fronts and get an extra set of the front wheels and put them on the back. It would be a little narrow but should work.

There are no good winter tire options out there right now for 19” (I haven’t checked 21” but I assume even worse) unless you go with SL rated tires instead of XL. Hopefully the winter tires will still be available any day now.

245 mm tires are the minimum for 9.5” wide wheels. I wonder if you could put the Nokians on the 9.5” wide fronts and get an extra set of the front wheels and put them on the back. It would be a little narrow but should work.

There are no good winter tire options out there right now for 19” (I haven’t checked 21” but I assume even worse) unless you go with SL rated tires instead of XL. Hopefully the winter tires will still be available any day now.
What about all season tires to fit these new rims? Anybody found any?

Just ordered a set of Signature SV104s 21in, staggered 11.5" rears, 10.5" fronts.

315/30/21 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
295/30/21 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

AND the front tires were $350 from Tesla, which was over $100 less than Tire Rack. And they had them in stock! Not bad!

If you can find them these are the 19" winter tires that satisfy the Tesla specs:

1636027790308.png

1636027654855.png

1636027685199.png

You could also mix and match different flavors of Sottozeros but the rear ones are not XL rated that I can find.

frustrating as still no in-stock solution and it is now getting cold.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
Just picked up some winter tires for me Plaid which should arrive next week. The tire shop who has done a lot of Tesla work here in GTA advised that the 2019 MS tiers fit the new plaid without any issues. They are 245/45/19 on 19x8.5 rims. After picking them up, I noticed they are even smaller then my MY winters, so did a bit a of research and it seems there is no good answer if they truly fit. Some say it fits but they may look odd since the have smaller offset than wide body. Some say it’s fine and some even say they don’t fit.
Has anyone here tried this? Any suggestions?
Thanks

If you can find them these are the 19" winter tires that satisfy the Tesla specs:

View attachment 729201

View attachment 729198

View attachment 729199

You could also mix and match different flavors of Sottozeros but the rear ones are not XL rated that I can find.

frustrating as still no in-stock solution and it is now getting cold.
That sure is expensive. Really annoying when car manufactures like Tesla, just don’t go with more normal sized tires on their cars. You really have to take tire replacement in consideration when looking at these high end cars. I just don’t get the advantage of Tesla using two different sizes of 19’s on the Model S LR and tires sizes that are hard to find and costly, especially winter ones. Stupid.

Just picked up some winter tires for me Plaid which should arrive next week. The tire shop who has done a lot of Tesla work here in GTA advised that the 2019 MS tiers fit the new plaid without any issues. They are 245/45/19 on 19x8.5 rims. After picking them up, I noticed they are even smaller then my MY winters, so did a bit a of research and it seems there is no good answer if they truly fit. Some say it fits but they may look odd since the have smaller offset than wide body. Some say it’s fine and some even say they don’t fit.
Has anyone here tried this? Any suggestions?
Thanks

check out my post has wheels and tires 335 back and 285 font wheels are lighter then the 19s even with wider tires on 20s

Just ordered a set of Signature SV104s 21in, staggered 11.5" rears, 10.5" fronts.

315/30/21 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
295/30/21 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

AND the front tires were $350 from Tesla, which was over $100 less than Tire Rack. And they had them in stock! Not bad!
I spoke too soon. I’m having an extremely hard time finding the 295/30/21 Pilot Sport 4S. Tesla came back and said even they don’t have them in stock. They checked with a few local service centers also…

I’m hoping they can order them and have them soon but Michelin themselves is struggling to provide tires with all the supply chain chaos.

Reactions: bhzmark
I spoke too soon. I’m having an extremely hard time finding the 295/30/21 Pilot Sport 4S. Tesla came back and said even they don’t have them in stock. They checked with a few local service centers also…

I’m hoping they can order them and have them soon but Michelin themselves is struggling to provide tires with all the supply chain chaos.

I got some Pilot Alpin PA4 in 265/45 front and 295/40 in the rear. I'll put them on the stock 19" wheels and in the spring put the Pzero summers on lightweight forged wheels.

These Pilot Alpins are very top rated winter tires and they only set I could find that are:
1. Tesla OEM sizes from their EPC catalog 255/285 or 265/295 front/rear
2. XL rated for load
3. V rated for speed

They also have decent rolling resistance for a winter tire.

Potential drawback is 10mm wider in front may mean a bit more sandblasting on the sides. But I couldn't find anything in the 255/285 f/r sizes.

Now that mine are safely in my garage I'll share that I got them from Simple Tires who seems to still have some in stock. I was checking and emailing Tirerack regularly and also checked 1010 tires and tried to order through some local Mercedes and Porsche dealer if they had any special line on performance winter tires, as the tesla sizes are shared with some of their models,, but no luck.

Is there any reason you couldn’t try some spacers to help clear the shield?