Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S tires and wheels: all things (Plaid, LR, OEM, aftermkt, 19, 20, 21, summer, winter etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please forgive my ignorance on this topic. I have some aftermarket 21" SV302's from Signature (amazing company) and need some black lug nuts to match. Secret-EV has some amazing titanium lug nuts, but I would rather spend less.

My new wheels use the identical ones as Tesla. One alternative would be to just use the existing lug nuts from my 19's and use black cap covers. Those may look too cheap though. I am also thinking, due to the price of these wheels using locking nuts, or at least, a single locking nut on each wheel.

If I am correct, I need 14 x 1.5 threads, with a 60 degree cone. Right?

Can someone please give me some specific recommendations for lug nuts/locking lug nuts that would work?

1643560591770.png

Last edited:
Please forgive my ignorance on this topic. I have some aftermarket 21" SV302's from Signature (amazing company) and need some black lug nuts to match. Secret-EV has some amazing titanium lug nuts, but I would rather spend less.

My new wheels use the identical ones as Tesla. One alternative would be to just use the existing lug nuts from my 19's and use black cap covers. Those may look too cheap though. I am also thinking, due to the price of these wheels using locking nuts, or at least, a single locking nut on each wheel.

Can someone please give me some specific recommendations for lug nuts/locking lug nuts that would work?

View attachment 762185

this should do the trick

Reactions: 4SUPER9
Interestingly, Tesla continues to insist that the Pzero tires coming with the car are all seasons. Despite the tires not having an M+S logo on them. I wonder if they're partially correct in the sense that the tire compound is winter capable, but the tread isnt.

Anyone here in mild winter zones (florida doesnt count) running the oem PZero tires and perfectly happy with them?

Reactions: Catrice
Interestingly, Tesla continues to insist that the Pzero tires coming with the car are all seasons. Despite the tires not having an M+S logo on them. I wonder if they're partially correct in the sense that the tire compound is winter capable, but the tread isnt.

Anyone here in mild winter zones (florida doesnt count) running the oem PZero tires and perfectly happy with them?
Where do you think they claim the tires are All Seasons? They 100% are not.
There is also a PZero All Season that I think they've used for their all season tires from time to time. But the PZeros (without the All Season suffix) that come on the Plaid are definitely the summer version.

There is also a PZero All Season that I think they've used for their all season tires from time to time. But the PZeros (without the All Season suffix) that come on the Plaid are definitely the summer version.

Tesla's internal part number has "AS" on it. That's probably where they are getting that from.

Reactions: serendipitous

These are the exact ones I ordered for my SV701 bronze wheels. I got them in PVD black. The length was prefect for me. They are quite expensive, and they don't include a locking nut.

Note: The outer size of the nut is 19mm, smaller than the stock Tesla nuts which are 21mm. Not really an issue, but if you have a special sleeved socket like I did, you'll want to get a new one like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H8A57LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Tesla's internal part number has "AS" on it. That's probably where they are getting that from.

The parts catalog page is pretty clear about it. Are they looking somewhere else?

Parts Catalog
PIRELLI TIRE, 255/45R19 100Y, 19SU, FRONT - 1420291-00-A
CONTINENTAL TIRE, 255/45R19 100Y, 19AS, FRONT - 1420241-00-A
WINTER, PIRELLI PZERO 19x9.5 255/45R19 - 1742948-00-A

Reactions: serendipitous

They do if you talk to them

I am thinking about going with 20's on my 2022 MS. What seems to be the general consensus for offset using the stock rim width? I am not looking for super aggressive but maybe just a bit more concavity. I don't want to have any fender/clearance issues at any suspension height. I plan on staying with stock width tires for now but in the appropriate 20" size.

For tires I was leaning toward the DW06 but if I go with:
255/40R20 (F)
285/35R20 (R)

Or something similar to what would match to the 21's no luck. The only fit I can find is for the 19's or going up to a 22.

Anyone running them on their refreshed S? If so, what sizes (other than on 22's).

Given we actually had snow, ice and cold weather, I want to have all seasons and the DW's seem a better option than the Michelins.

I am thinking about going with 20's on my 2022 MS. What seems to be the general consensus for offset using the stock rim width? I am not looking for super aggressive but maybe just a bit more concavity. I don't want to have any fender/clearance issues at any suspension height. I plan on staying with stock width tires for now but in the appropriate 20" size.

For tires I was leaning toward the DW06 but if I go with:
255/40R20 (F)
285/35R20 (R)

Or something similar to what would match to the 21's no luck. The only fit I can find is for the 19's or going up to a 22.

Anyone running them on their refreshed S? If so, what sizes (other than on 22's).

Given we actually had snow, ice and cold weather, I want to have all seasons and the DW's seem a better option than the Michelins.
Front tire has a diameter restriction - do not exceed 28.5” dia or else you’ll foul the upper control arm.

Will 245/45R19 102Y XL Work in a Square Setup? I saw this size listed on Discount Tire. Load Rating is slightly lower. What size rim 19x10”

Lot more options on tires if you go that size.

Also sticking with the OEM 19” sizes. What would be the quietest and most efficient tire.

Best I’ve found is Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

Will 245/45R19 102Y XL Work in a Square Setup? I saw this size listed on Discount Tire. Load Rating is slightly lower. What size rim 19x10”

Lot more options on tires if you go that size.

Also sticking with the OEM 19” sizes. What would be the quietest and most efficient tire.

Best I’ve found is Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
I'm over 1000 miles now on my Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and I'm still getting noticeable tire roar from them between 63 and 68 mph. I reached out to Michelin and they said the following "

We recommend taking your vehicle to an authorized Michelindealer for an inspection of the tire. Please have the dealer contact us at the number below and refer to your case number when providing their inspection results for our review. To find participating dealers in your area, you can use our Dealer Locator.​

I've yet to take the car in but will do soon. Hoping one of their dealers agrees to look at them, as the shop I got them from isn't an approved dealer.

I'm over 1000 miles now on my Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and I'm still getting noticeable tire roar from them between 63 and 68 mph. I reached out to Michelin and they said the following "

We recommend taking your vehicle to an authorized Michelindealer for an inspection of the tire. Please have the dealer contact us at the number below and refer to your case number when providing their inspection results for our review. To find participating dealers in your area, you can use our Dealer Locator.​

I've yet to take the car in but will do soon. Hoping one of their dealers agrees to look at them, as the shop I got them from isn't an approved dealer.
Thanks for the heads up. Grass always looks greener…

Are the tires directional? Some are. Some also say “Outside” on them.

What size did you get?

The Pirelli Summer tires are not terrible and might be a lot better when things warm up.

Thanks for the heads up. Grass always looks greener…

Are the tires directional? Some are. Some also say “Outside” on them.

What size did you get?

The Pirelli Summer tires are not terrible and might be a lot better when things warm up.
So here's where I'm at.
I took car to a local Michelin approved dealer for an inspection as per Michelin's instructions.
They measured the treadwear which was even and reported back to Michelin.
Michelin, while on the phone with the tire shop, offered me 30% credit towards a new set of Michelin tires.
I scoffed and walked out not very happy.
I called Michelin and explained I that I wasn't happy with being so much out of pocket for a set of tires I deemed faulty. They raised that offer to 40% credit to which I reiterated my unhappiness about being so much out of pocket.
They raised it to a supervisor.
I spoke to the supervisor who was very apologetic, but said because the tires have wear on them it's not a warranty claim, but offered a 50% credit and said that's unfortunately the best he could do.
I said what happens if I put a new set of the same tires on and have the same problem. He said then it won't be the tires, it will probably be something mechanical like wheel bearings (I don't believe this).

So I'm at a bit of a loss. Wondering if I should 1) just deal with the noise, which is annoying at highway speeds and ARNC doesn't bloody do anything 2) Buy a new set of the same tire and hope there's no noise or 3) Get some PS4 Summers and try and find a good wheel and tire combo for winter (There's no winter tires in 285/35/20 and 305/35/20).

Wow. It’s hard to know the root cause. It sure gets expensive doing trial and error on tires. Have you dug through ALL the reviews. Sometimes reviews have great tidbits of info. Like using same car having the same issue and trying a 2nd set. Then trying another tire etc.

I have a set of winter wheels with tires I loved on my X, I’m tempted to carefully try them (just as a data point). But I don’t want to risk damaging the S. They are a bit to tall.

What tire came with the car and how was it?

So here's where I'm at.
I took car to a local Michelin approved dealer for an inspection as per Michelin's instructions.
They measured the treadwear which was even and reported back to Michelin.
Michelin, while on the phone with the tire shop, offered me 30% credit towards a new set of Michelin tires.
I scoffed and walked out not very happy.
I called Michelin and explained I that I wasn't happy with being so much out of pocket for a set of tires I deemed faulty. They raised that offer to 40% credit to which I reiterated my unhappiness about being so much out of pocket.
They raised it to a supervisor.
I spoke to the supervisor who was very apologetic, but said because the tires have wear on them it's not a warranty claim, but offered a 50% credit and said that's unfortunately the best he could do.
I said what happens if I put a new set of the same tires on and have the same problem. He said then it won't be the tires, it will probably be something mechanical like wheel bearings (I don't believe this).

So I'm at a bit of a loss. Wondering if I should 1) just deal with the noise, which is annoying at highway speeds and ARNC doesn't bloody do anything 2) Buy a new set of the same tire and hope there's no noise or 3) Get some PS4 Summers and try and find a good wheel and tire combo for winter (There's no winter tires in 285/35/20 and 305/35/20).

60-day Satisfaction Guarantee​

We’re confident you’ll love your new MICHELIN replacement tires. So confident, in fact, that we back your purchase with a 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. If you’re not 100% satisfied with your new tires, just bring the tires and original sales receipt back to the place where you bought the tires within 60 days of your purchase and we will gladly exchange them for a new set of tires of equal or lesser value.

Reactions: mswlogo

60-day Satisfaction Guarantee​

We’re confident you’ll love your new MICHELIN replacement tires. So confident, in fact, that we back your purchase with a 60-Day Satisfaction Guarantee. If you’re not 100% satisfied with your new tires, just bring the tires and original sales receipt back to the place where you bought the tires within 60 days of your purchase and we will gladly exchange them for a new set of tires of equal or lesser value.
I'm outside of that by a couple of weeks and I have 'wear' on them. So the lesson to be learnt here is not to wait until you have 1000 miles on them to see if the noise goes away (as some had reported).

Following this latest exchange closely as I plan on going with 20's on my S.

I might be mistaken but I thought I read somewhere else on one of these threads another S owner was having noise issues in these wider sizes (285/305). I was thinking of going 265/295 to be on the safe side.