Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S: USB-C Fast Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2 week old M3 is not providing anything like that power delivery, front or back USB-C plugs.
Best I'm getting is 250mAh!
but plug in a cigarette adapter and with the same usb-c cable, I get 2500mAh.
I must be missing something because this hardly charges my phone!

I'm not a fan of the wireless charging as I have a metal disk in my phone case for the other car (and I prefer my phone on the dash with a magnetic mount)

Reactions: wornout
I don't know about changes to the 2021. Hopefully they have the factory wireless charger on a separate power source. Prior to 2021, they had two USB-A plugs, and had the wireless factory phone charger plugged into one, providing 7.5W of power to the charger. In addition, the 12V "accessory plug" provided:

The 12V power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 11A continuous draw (15A peak) or a maximum of 150 continuous watts (180 watts peak).

I plugged in a flat, 2 port USB-A adapter capable of the power levels into the accessory plug, and moved the wireless phone charger cable wasting a data USB port on the car (only 2 available) to that port.

I don't know about changes to the 2021. Hopefully they have the factory wireless charger on a separate power source. Prior to 2021, they had two USB-A plugs, and had the wireless factory phone charger plugged into one, providing 7.5W of power to the charger. In addition, the 12V "accessory plug" provided:

The 12V power socket is suitable for accessories requiring up to 11A continuous draw (15A peak) or a maximum of 150 continuous watts (180 watts peak).

I plugged in a flat, 2 port USB-A adapter capable of the power levels into the accessory plug, and moved the wireless phone charger cable wasting a data USB port on the car (only 2 available) to that port.
yes, wireless charger is a separate feed with 2 spare usb-c ports in the front console (and the two in the back). not much use if they can't charge a phone though. Will try and ipad and a tablet next.

Reactions: DerbyDave
yes, wireless charger is a separate feed with 2 spare usb-c ports in the front console (and the two in the back). not much use if they can't charge a phone though. Will try and ipad and a tablet next.
Upon further investigation, it seems 27W per usb port is about right however, if using an adapter cable, this can have a significant impact.
Using usb-c to usb-c cables I get as much juice as my phone can handle (2500mah) but it seems only some usb-c to usb-A(or mini/micro) adapters will allow high power throughput.
I've got a few USB-C to USB 3.0 fast charger adapters and these charge fast at home or via a 12v adapter in the lighter socket but NOT via Teslas USB ports. I'm battling to find out what specification I need to purchase to use the usb ports in back to charge the kids tablets (not ipads).