Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S wheels are “skipping”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can’t seem to find this issue mentioned anywhere. I have a Model S plaid with the 21in wheels. Recently I’ve noticed due to a lot of rain lately, that when driving at slower speed, with the wheel shape right or left, the front tires/wheels seem to be skipping/stuttering. Non of my other teslas have done this. Idk if this is due to the type of tires or a miss alignment of some kind. But it’s only really noticeable when it’s wet out. So it’s like a catching popping sound where it even rattles the front car a bit.

Can’t seem to find this issue mentioned anywhere. I have a Model S plaid with the 21in wheels. Recently I’ve noticed due to a lot of rain lately, that when driving at slower speed, with the wheel shape right or left, the front tires/wheels seem to be skipping/stuttering. Non of my other teslas have done this. Idk if this is due to the type of tires or a miss alignment of some kind. But it’s only really noticeable when it’s wet out. So it’s like a catching popping sound where it even rattles the front car a bit.

This has come up many times. It's cold or cold+wet + high performance summer tires + new Model S camber setup. It's normal, and if you're in the 50s or below, this will happen until the tires are fully warmed up. I'd recommend all-season or winter tires for that smooth feel in the winters. I have the same thing going on just north of you in Seattle (as everyone does in these temps). Waiting on my winter setup to arrive.

WIDE low profile performance tires will do this on web pavement. My 2006 Corvette Z06 with WIDE low profile performance front tires also skipped / stuttered in rain with the wheels turned at full lock. You'll also find the WIDE low profile performance will hydroplane easier too. My 2006 Corvette Z06 was dangerous to drive in medium to heavy rain... mostly because it only weighed 3,100 lbs. and had 505 hp going to the rear wheels only. Driving in medium to heavy rain was like driving a regular car on ice so it was a "garage queen" when it rained.

62437AB7-C607-4966-8B2E-341F342C3D98_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: WilliamG
Tramlining is a completely different issue... and has nothing to do with wet roads at slower speeds:

Wikipedia "Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does. The same effect is sometimes called Nibbling."

Tramlining is a completely different issue... and has nothing to do with wet roads at slower speeds:

Wikipedia "Tramlining is the tendency of a vehicle's wheels to follow the contours in the surface upon which it runs. The term comes from the tendency of a car's wheels to follow the normally recessed rails of street trams, without driver input in the same way that the train does. The same effect is sometimes called Nibbling."

Yep, I didn't read OP's message fully, that'll teach me.

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
For the 21" Arachnids -- are there reasonable all seasons (ideally with foam noise dampening) available?
Just ordered my Michelin Pilot 4 A/S in the 21 specs from tire rack. Should be delivered and installed next week.

The 265/35/21s were in stock, but the 295/35/21s have been the reason for the delay (just came out) when I was originally looking in early Nov. Just a note that the rears are not available in 295/30/21 (at least, places I looked).

I don't know if these come with foam inside, but can update once they are received.

Just ordered my Michelin Pilot 4 A/S in the 21 specs from tire rack. Should be delivered and installed next week.

The 265/35/21s were in stock, but the 295/35/21s have been the reason for the delay (just came out) when I was originally looking in early Nov. Just a note that the rears are not available in 295/30/21 (at least, places I looked).

I don't know if these come with foam inside, but can update once they are received.
Awesome, thank you. Subscribed. :)

Have you ever owned an AWD car previously? Most of them exhibit this behavior to some degree.

Add super-sticky high performance tires and it gets worse.

It's due to the difference in rotational speed between the outside tires in a tight turn and the inside tires. Since they turn at different speeds, something has to give once the "lash" in the driveline is used up.

Have you ever owned an AWD car previously? Most of them exhibit this behavior to some degree.

Add super-sticky high performance tires and it gets worse.

It's due to the difference in rotational speed between the outside tires in a tight turn and the inside tires. Since they turn at different speeds, something has to give once the "lash" in the driveline is used up.
I never had this issue with my Model 3 Performance on the PS4S. Geometrically different, of course. But as you say, lots of other cars have this issue. The 3 isn't one of them, though.

This has come up many times. It's cold or cold+wet + high performance summer tires + new Model S camber setup. It's normal, and if you're in the 50s or below, this will happen until the tires are fully warmed up. I'd recommend all-season or winter tires for that smooth feel in the winters. I have the same thing going on just north of you in Seattle (as everyone does in these temps). Waiting on my winter setup to arrive.
Do the winter tires help with this problem? Which tires did you get? I have the Model S 2022 21inch Arachnid wheels and have this problem since i'm north of Seattle close to mountains. I find it really annoying and wondering if I should switch out to different tires for winter.

Do the winter tires help with this problem? Which tires did you get? I have the Model S 2022 21inch Arachnid wheels and have this problem since i'm north of Seattle close to mountains. I find it really annoying and wondering if I should switch out to different tires for winter.
Yes, winters sort the problem for sure. The issue only occurs with summer tires in the winter. I got the winter set from Tesla which is the Pirelli Winters. You need to keep an eye on these for when they come in stock. It’s been over a year since these were released and stock is still spotty.

I believe you and I have the same issue, whereby there is a hard jolting skip when initial driving them and turning in cooler weather. What I have since learned from Tesla after numerous calls and confirmed with other tire resellers, is that my Model S came with summer tires causing this problem. Summer tires are not recommended to drive on under 41 degrees due to a high probability of the tire cracking when hitting a pothole. And they are not recommended to drive in snow since there is much less thread grip and will take longer to stop. I live at a thousand-foot elevation in NJ so without changing the tires to All Season or Winter, I won't be able to drive my car for many days.

To make matters worse, I understand that there is NOT a set of 4 common All Season or Winter tires available for the front and rear as I have 21" Michelin Sport 4 S" 265/35/21 in the front and 295/30/21 in the rear. I confirmed this by speaking with Tesla service, Michelin tire, PEP Boys tire center and Mavis tire center. And if they offered All Season or Winter tires, it would cost near an additional $2k . If you have 19" rims, I understand you can get Winter tires, but this still will cost you near $2k.

Tesla service is now recommending I put on 265 tires all around and let the 265 stretch to the 295 rear tire size. The tire manufacture and the 3rd party tire centers do not recommend this. And I am sure it would void Tesla and/or the tires manufacturer's warranty if I were ever to have a serious accident that required a legal review of the tires. For the moment, I am stuck and not very happy about.

How can Tesla have not let its customers understand the risk of the summer tires especially those of us in colder climates. We don't all know what "summer tires" this means. And who do they not offer clear options? It looks like the Model S oversight was a rush to market issue.