Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S with Plaid badge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daily driving game is to NEVER touch the brake for a 30 mile commute.... mastery of that pedal is a ton of fun. I progressed from chill to insane fairly quickly and got a handle on the throttle but there is NO place for sport or insane mode once the snows are on and winter has set in. Still being 12 years old internally (and 58 outside) I did slip into insane a couple of weeks ago and did a launch on dry road from a stoplight as I saw the mates in the car behind me at the light had the camera going, big smiles on and where animated in their discussion so I have them a treat :) and ME ! At the next light it was all thumbs up and big smiles from them and I tried to look as cool as (im)possible sitting there looking like it was nuthin........ I have not tried drag mode yet either. I know many roll their eyes when the pilots and ATC folk here make comparatives but this car is as close to the flight deck as you can get where everything is muscle memory and deep knowledge of the systems. Probably why I love driving my LR as much as flying ! Enjoy as I am sure it will just keep getting better. This is my first EV/Tesla and I could not imagine going back to ICE.
The snow is finally here too so chill mode it is for now but I am noticing something strange happening as we cruise the divided highways. I didn't think much of it at first but it just keeps happening. Cruising along just a few miles over the 70 mph speed limit and these very loud vehicles, invariably with dual exhausts come flying up next to me and slow down, keep pace until they realize I'm not going to play and then, again, interrupt my quiet with their acceleration. I am so so tempted.
The thing I have noticed at lights is that in sport mode, and probably in chill I just get in to it a little bit and by the time I check the rear view mirror traffic is a couple hundred feet behind. All done quietly and showing little sign of any effort. Just here and then gone.

The snow is finally here too so chill mode it is for now but I am noticing something strange happening as we cruise the divided highways. I didn't think much of it at first but it just keeps happening. Cruising along just a few miles over the 70 mph speed limit and these very loud vehicles, invariably with dual exhausts come flying up next to me and slow down, keep pace until they realize I'm not going to play and then, again, interrupt my quiet with their acceleration. I am so so tempted.
The thing I have noticed at lights is that in sport mode, and probably in chill I just get in to it a little bit and by the time I check the rear view mirror traffic is a couple hundred feet behind. All done quietly and showing little sign of any effort. Just here and then gone.
Spring and insane mode are only a couple of months away 😛

I am noticing something strange happening as we cruise the divided highways. I didn't think much of it at first but it just keeps happening. Cruising along and these very loud vehicles come flying up next to me and slow down.....
Lol yup.. same happens to me all the time. I'll be driving along minding my business. Traffic is moving at normal speeds; I look in my rearview mirror ....
As soon as my car is noticed (always a male,) he usually steps on it to catch up to me. He usually waits for me to make the move which I usually ignore but I have engaged a couple times (out of hundreds.) Sometimes I'll notice someone driving with traffic, spots my car and then the guy steps on it and zips past me at like 90. I assume the guy expects (or wants) me to follow his lead. Not that it matters but 99% of the time it's a non performance car like a Acura, BMW 3 series, Infiniti Q50 type cars. I've come across a few Model 3s and Ys that wanted to see the plaid rip and I was cool with it but nothing too crazy.

It's a Tesla man. People don't know the difference between an S or 3, let alone the difference between Plaid or LR
I think it depends on where you live. Around here, so many people know what a plaid is, especially males from 16 - 60+..
I've noticed my car gets a lot more attention in the past couple months compared to when I got it in August 2021.

If I had a Plaid, I'd be ripping the badge off. There is enough Tesla hate out there without spinning some people up even more. Not to mention I like cars that are sleepers. More fun to think it is just a long range and run them with your Plaid.

At the same time, if you need a badge to get some sort of recognition from others, you had a pretty rough life growing up and have issues buying a Plaid isn't going to help you with.
Spoken like a non-Plaid owner.

If I had a Plaid, I'd be ripping the badge off. There is enough Tesla hate out there without spinning some people up even more. Not to mention I like cars that are sleepers. More fun to think it is just a long range and run them with your Plaid.

At the same time, if you need a badge to get some sort of recognition from others, you had a pretty rough life growing up and have issues buying a Plaid isn't going to help you with.
messages_0 (7).jpeg

Yep really rough life. I use to clip playing cards to my bicycle to make noise with the spokes too.