Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want a 2021 Tesla, you will need to order one very late in 2020 or early in 2021 as Tesla really doesn't do the model year thing. The model year is the year it was built. If you are interested in the upcoming Plaid Model S, you can order it now, but it won't be available at the earliest until late 2021.

If you want a 2021 Tesla, you will need to order one very late in 2020 or early in 2021 as Tesla really doesn't do the model year thing. The model year is the year it was built. If you are interested in the upcoming Plaid Model S, you can order it now, but it won't be available at the earliest until late 2021.
Plaid model S is way out of my league.
You think it is best to order the 2021 model S early 202- or late 2020?

You can go to the site and pretend like you are ordering one. It will give you the estimated delivery time. You car would be built one to two weeks before that estimated time. You can then estimate if it is to be built in 2020 or 2021. If this is important, I'd wait until December 27 or so to be sure.

That is no longer true, at least it wasn’t last year. 2020 models were being delivered a few months before 2020

What about looking at the registration?
Or the lease agreement?
I’m sure the loan paperwork must also have the model year on there.
I had no loan, no lease, and nothing with the model year until I was mailed the registration information to my state from California Tesla 3 weeks after delivery. Nothing on the Tesla order system or on the website indicates the model year when I ordered the car, plus touchless delivery.

I had no loan, no lease, and nothing with the model year until I was mailed the registration information to my state from California Tesla 3 weeks after delivery. Nothing on the Tesla order system or on the website indicates the model year when I ordered the car, plus touchless delivery.
I’m in California and you’re given a temporary registration at pick up. It would have your model year on there. Your state allows driving without a registration on hand?

it’s been a while since I bought the car but wouldn’t the MVPA have the year of the vehicle on there?

I’m in California and you’re given a temporary registration at pick up. It would have your model year on there

it’s been a while since I bought the car but wouldn’t the MVPA have the year of the vehicle on there?
No, the MPVA does not. I checked. The 'window" sticker has no year on it. Perhaps if I was registering in the dealer's state, I would have known at the time of delivery. The point of all of this is the original poster wanted to know when to order a 2021 Tesla. My point is you will not know what year the car is until it is delivered, or after. I do not know how those who ordered in the fall you were talking about knew what year car they were getting. This advance information does not appear to be available to buyers now until the car is delivered, or after.

I also could not find out what standard equipment was coming in on my car. Not available from Tesla in written form before or after delivery..

No, the MPVA does not. I checked. The 'window" sticker has no year on it. Perhaps if I was registering in the dealer's state, I would have known at the time of delivery. The point of all of this is the original poster wanted to know when to order a 2021 Tesla. My point is you will not know what year the car is until it is delivered, or after. I do not know how those who ordered in the fall you were talking about knew what year car they were getting. This advance information does not appear to be available to buyers now until the car is delivered, or after.

I also could not find out what standard equipment was coming in on my car. Not available from Tesla in written form before or after delivery..
I’m not saying they knew ahead of time. I’m saying 2020 models were being delivered in November and December of last year.
in California you’ll definitely know once you take possession of the vehicle as it will be on your temporary registration.

Reactions: DerbyDave