Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose you could go to a VIN decoder site. Other than that, the year dies not show on any Tesla documents or in their site.

Seriously? You’re just trolling us now.

Here, no VIN decoder needed:
10th Digit L=2020
10th Digit M=2021

My point is you will not know what year the car is until it is delivered, or after.

My point is that if someone really needs to know their MY, it’s trivial to find it out simply by looking at the assigned VIN, long before delivery.

Last edited:
Thanks for decoding the VIN! I did not know that. I went to the VIN decoder site, and voila - 10th digit. I have no reason to know anything about VINs. Wonder why Tesla is so concerned with cloaking the model year and the vehicle's standard equipment and specifications that all other manufacturers show on their website? My entire purchase experience with Tesla was that they had never sold a vehicle to anyone before me. A very strange experience. No information, no answers, no paperwork, charging me for Supercharging my car before delivery, and charging me for idle fees (waived for first overage). Also, encouraging me at every opportunity to pay for the car before delivery. Buy the car if you want it, you sucker.

Thanks for decoding the VIN! I did not know that. I went to the VIN decoder site, and voila - 10th digit. I have no reason to know anything about VINs. Wonder why Tesla is so concerned with cloaking the model year and the vehicle's standard equipment and specifications that all other manufacturers show on their website? My entire purchase experience with Tesla was that they had never sold a vehicle to anyone before me. A very strange experience. No information, no answers, no paperwork, charging me for Supercharging my car before delivery, and charging me for idle fees (waived for first overage). Also, encouraging me at every opportunity to pay for the car before delivery. Buy the car if you want it, you sucker.
No paperwork? How’s that possible? Surely you had to sign the MVPA, when I purchased the last model s it was done on an iPad but I was emailed everything.

As I said earlier in this post, my MVPA, the online order, the website, nothing indicates the model year car I ordered. Apparently, there is no way for a person ordering a car to know the model year until the VIN is assigned.

Attachments

• MVPA.pdf
    144.4 KB · Views: 85
This. I started my order in Mid-November 2019, got delivery about mid-december 2019. Classified as a 2020 model
So the question is, and has been, when you ordered your car, did you know you were going to get a 2020 model? If so, how?

The original poster wanted to know how soon a 2021 model can be ordered. Is there a magic date? Did the website ever indicate a model year?

Last edited:
My point is that Tesla does not advertise what year your car is. One doesn't know whether he is getting a 2020 or 2021 car until weeks after it arrives, unless it is built in the year 2021.
You always can tell the Model year if a car without a window sticker. Since 1981 the 10th digit of the vin is a universal indicator of model year.
1827FB7D-9B3A-4473-B2FE-EBB9260B662A.jpeg

You always can tell the Model year if a car without a window sticker. Since 1981 the 10th digit of the vin is a universal indicator of model year. View attachment 595047
Thanks, we have already established that fact. The original poster wants to order a 2021 car. When can he order one? The website does not indicate the model year of the car you are ordering. How can one know what year the car he is getting will be, so he can get a 2021 model year car? After the VIN is assigned, the purchaser has already ordered the car.

Thanks, we have already established that fact. The original poster wants to order a 2021 car. When can he order one? The website does not indicate the model year of the car you are ordering. How can one know what year the car he is getting will be, so he can get a 2021 model year car? After the VIN is assigned, the purchaser has already ordered the car.
It has already been established that Tesla doesn’t have a standard date that they start model year builds. Other manufacturers don’t have set dates either as they vary the actual start dates at staggered intervals based on specific models. As others have posted it is likely but not guaranteed that they will start no later than the new year but even that is no guarantee because there have been instances where manufacturers have stockpiled and delivered last year models into the new year for various reasons.

It has already been established that Tesla doesn’t have a standard date that they start model year builds. Other manufacturers don’t have set dates either as they vary the actual start dates at staggered intervals based on specific models. As others have posted it is likely but not guaranteed that they will start no later than the new year but even that is no guarantee because there have been instances where manufacturers have stockpiled and delivered last year models into the new year for various reasons.
The big difference is all other manufacturers list the model year of the car you are specifying on their website, on their "build your car" pages, and on the order form when you order a new car. Tesla -- it is a guessing game what you might get.

Other than "I just want it" which is a perfectly fine rationale, why is this relevant? For other manufacturers, model year is pertinent because they make changes once a year for their cars (minor or major) and those changes are associated with the model year (which is many times different than the year of manufacture). With Tesla, changes both minor or major happen throughout the year, and so model year is not relevant. My October 2017 S was hardware 2.5 while one several months prior was not. Colors change, USB ports appear, sunroof disappears, ventilated seats disappear, radar hardware changes, all happen within what happens to be the year of manufacture (which is what the VIN identifies, not the model year). My ordered S has a 2020 Vin and probably has part differences from those ordered 3 months prior and those that will be built 2 months later.

You can place an order, and tell your sales contact that you specifically only want a 2021 model. They will contact you when your configuration becomes available with 2021 Model year.

They do not currently know when this will happen, so you gotta just make the request and wait patiently.

Most likely you will be slotted into the EOY mad rush to make their numbers, or possibly not get delivered until after Jan 1.
After jan 1, the factory usually focues most production to Asia/Europe, so it might even be later in first Quarter before they can deliver you a 2021.

I understand they make continuous improvements throughout the year without any notice. They launch improvements as soon as production is ready. Good. But why do they update the model year (VIN letter) before Jan 1? What is the criteria for a change? It would be so much easier if model year coincided with the calendar.

I understand they make continuous improvements throughout the year without any notice. They launch improvements as soon as production is ready. Good. But why do they update the model year (VIN letter) before Jan 1? What is the criteria for a change? It would be so much easier if model year coincided with the calendar.

It absolutely did, until 2019/2020.

It would be so much easier if model year coincided with the calendar.
They make model year changes early to signify a significant change thus its a marketing tool. All car manufacturers make changes throughout the calendar year as improvements become available, that is why when ordering oem parts the VIN is important. Style changes typically only occur at Model year changes but sometimes have occurred mid year.