Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X improved cabin noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check also this review of 2020 Model X

27:00 - autobahn gepruft

Yes I have seen that one - still as he reviews the 2020 model which many people in the forum and in other YouTube videos have complained about...

Also there is Bjorn the Norwegian Youtuber who tested cabin noises and in one of the latest he has a model x raven with no good results (although I havent seen him testing it it just popped in the excel file) --> odly it performs worse than old model x

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-16_17-59-53.png
    upload_2020-11-16_17-59-53.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 230
No instrument measurements, but just by my ear. I can tell there's a huge improvement in cabin noise. Definitely not as road noisy as my '16. Like Uncle Paul, I also think it's the adaptive suspension, but I didn't have a '20 to compare to. I feel like the suspension does a lot of dampening of the road noise. Was there improved insulation in the doors? Remember reading a thread about it, but don't know if it's official.

-ThinkMac-

Don't Apple watches have dB meters on them now? Maybe not all that precise, considering we're working with probably a ouple dB difference at most

The 2017 100D 5-seater on 22's with 43,000 miles I test drove wasn't noticeably louder than the new ones I test drove, other than squeaks and creaks, IMO. It was still, even as an "old man" in Tesla years, noticeably quieter at highway speeds than the 3 and Y. But I'm also old, and have spent a lot of time at the racetrack, and small kids, so my superpower is ignoring white noise. And I actually sortof like to be able to hear what the tires are doing.

I personally think Tesla noise is a "by chance" thing. Some cars are more quiet, some are not, some have better build quality, others are not. Its just random. I have a 2016 X its mostly quiet, I did a lot of work on the wind noise myself, only thing that still bothers me is trucks driving by and tire noise.

Then I had a loaner from Service Center that had perforated seats, so Im assuming it was maybe a 2017? It had 40k miles on it. It was the quietest car I have ever driven, and was so smooth. It had pirelli tires, thats all that I really noticed that was physically different. But also the windshield made direct contact with the dash in the front of the car, my 2016 has a small gap with some foam in there.

Then I test drove a 2020 Peformance and Long range just like a couple weeks ago.. noisy and windy as crap.

So I dont get it!!

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Tires can make huge difference, also some will create more noise with more miles driven.

My first impression of new Model X 2021 collected on Friday is that is more noisy then 2012 Vw Touareg or 2015 BMW X5 I have driven lately. But both older cars have smaller and narrower tires 18”. Original tires on Touareg where just fine for the first year, and later on they become noisy as hell. After replacing them with Goodyear car was again silent.

I will soon switch to winter tires and will report back if there is any difference.

• Informative
Reactions: MattMac
Tires can make huge difference, also some will create more noise with more miles driven.

My first impression of new Model X 2021 collected on Friday is that is more noisy then 2012 Vw Touareg or 2015 BMW X5 I have driven lately. But both older cars have smaller and narrower tires 18”. Original tires on Touareg where just fine for the first year, and later on they become noisy as hell. After replacing them with Goodyear car was again silent.

I will soon switch to winter tires and will report back if there is any difference.

So which tire you recommend?? I have Contisilent CrossContact or something, and I hate them. Should I try Pirelli?

yep did try it in highway, 120km/h in Switzerland with summer tyres - tomorrow changing to winter -
this weekend ill be driving longer so will check if I was right but I measured with my iPhone and noise seemed to be between 69-70db at 120km - again, nothing scientific

Just changed to winter Pirelli Scorpion and there is a huge difference! Tried on highway as well up to 155km/h (Croatia). Much better, there is no more that high frequency noise which is coming from tires I guess.

Seems that summer tires on outside temperature of 0 deg C, become much stiffer and create more noise. For an update I’ll report in a few months

For what it s worth: I have a 2017 Model X and I just recently did test drive a Model X 2020. The 2020 was noisier then my 2017!! However I should get my 2021 X in December and then I can tell if there is any difference!
Hmmm, interesting you mention this. I test drove a new MX last month and on the same road and same conditions, it did seem more noisy to me than my 2017 MX. So I am puzzled.

• Funny
Reactions: Gwgan