Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X Long Range + Has Pedestrian Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Volt has it. My X missed it by a month. I don't mind it except when I visiting my cabin in the summer at night. It's a quiet dirt road with cottages having windows open and here comes the unnecessary noisy pedestrian sound (pollution). Imagine a tunnel in traffic with a 100 cars making that noise. They should allow a temporary defeat that resets, say after you go over 30 MPH. That would be a reasonable compromise. Because most of the time I don't care.

I would never disconnect it for liability reasons.

I assume it is like the one in the 3 any only makes that noise in reverse. Is that correct?
It's the same as the Model 3. It makes a static noise when going forward and a "UFO" noise when going in reverse. I think all Models have it now as it was a requirement by the end of September 2020. We saw/heard a new 2020 Model X with it a couple weeks back at the Superior (Colorado) Service Center.

It's the same as the Model 3. It makes a static noise when going forward and a "UFO" noise when going in reverse. I think all Models have it now as it was a requirement by the end of September 2020. We saw/heard a new 2020 Model X with it a couple weeks back at the Superior (Colorado) Service Center.

On our 2020 M3, I never noticed a noise going forward. You can definitely hear it in reverse.

I assume it is like the one in the 3 any only makes that noise in reverse. Is that correct?
The forward and reverse noise is different. The reverse is louder, changes pitch as the speed changes, and is always on as long as the car is in R. The forward noise is hard to describe, sort of like a "rush" sound mixed with an electric motor. I'm pretty sure it is the same as on the 3. The forward noise goes away as soon as you put the car in park and I have read that it goes away once you reach a certain speed, but I didn't test that theory. In my video, you might have to turn the volume up to hear the noise that was recorded inside the cabin. The forward noise is barely noticeable from inside, but you can hear it from the outside. Tesla has promised that we will have several "sounds" to choose from at some point in the future. I guess that is how you make lemonade when given lemons.

I confirmed the ped warning speaker is located in front of the driver side front wheel. You will need a flat head screwdriver, flashlight, and needle nose pliers.

I tested disconnecting it as follows
1. Set X suspension to High
2. Remove two push fasteners in the front of wheel well close to the outside edge
3. Set suspension to Low
4. Push in and then pull out the bottom of the wheel well cover
5. Locate speaker and connector with flashlight, reach inside with needle nose pliers and squeeze the connector, then pull off with your fingers
6. To keep any rattling nose I pushed the connector on but did not click it in. You can also tape it to the floor.
7. Close up by reversing the steps above

It’s pretty amazing to have quiet true electric experience. I didn’t realize how loud the drive warning sound is. Unlike the obvious spaceship sound in reverse, for drive they they matched it to the motor sound and speed so it sounds just like a loud motor. I thought it was just the model 3 perm magnet motor that is louder than the X and S induction motors.

Attachments

• C4EDD1F9-AF33-485D-AA03-6B998E96D64D.jpeg
    C4EDD1F9-AF33-485D-AA03-6B998E96D64D.jpeg
    580.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 69436820-8206-40D4-9A0A-B538E5E1D8A5.jpeg
    69436820-8206-40D4-9A0A-B538E5E1D8A5.jpeg
    477.1 KB · Views: 110
My Volt has it. My X missed it by a month. I don't mind it except when I visiting my cabin in the summer at night. It's a quiet dirt road with cottages having windows open and here comes the unnecessary noisy pedestrian sound (pollution). Imagine a tunnel in traffic with a 100 cars making that noise. They should allow a temporary defeat that resets, say after you go over 30 MPH. That would be a reasonable compromise. Because most of the time I don't care.

I would never disconnect it for liability reasons.

Mind sharing your delivery date and country? Trying to pinpoint when this was introduced and where.

I'm taking it that a lot of people in this thread haven't been driving an EV in a busy school zone for very long.
The speaker on EVs will help you get out of the parking lot. No matter how quiet you think new ICE cars are, they are nothing compared to an EV @ <5 mph. It is a PITA to get out of a parking lot when the kids can't hear your car. It shouldn't make a big difference but it does.

I'll leave ours intact.

Reactions: RNHurt