Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X, Monroney Sticker Range Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, no. My impression was that A=January; B=February; C=March; D=April; E=May; F=June; G=July (my car matches this); H=August.. and the whole shebang starts over next year.

I think @verygreen had E, also delivered somewhere around that time, no? H would logically be the one shipping now. Since all of these match, it was just a guess from my side that this is what it means. That, and I found one decoder that was clearly assuming the same thing. But, maybe indeed this was a wrong assumption.

There is no decoder for the part number. (At least that I have ever seen.) However, there is for the serial number, which isn't what people are talking about.

Revision E packs were being used in December of 2019, revision F packs started with the change to the LR+.

Hey dilemma. I have an x on order w plan for delivery saturday w an L vin. Worried I wont be getting a 2021 w increased range. Whatre rhe options. I already paid tesla the downpayment on the loan and uploaded the sticker but havent taken delivery. Is it possible to tell them I dont want this one and wait for a 2021 version?

Yep. Just tell your OA you want to wait for a new one. Your downpayment may stay with tesla or take a while to reimburse.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The jump in range from 351 to 371 is more than explained by the jump in MPGe aka efficiency.
The obvious efficiency improvement is a switch to heat pump and Octavalve

So far Models Y and X;
S and 3 cannot be far behind

Someone posted their Monroney from their 2020 Model X LR+ and it has the same MPGe as the 2021 posted by OP. I doubt they have been hiding a heat pump that long. Most likely battery pack chem updates.

Reactions: Dave EV
The jump in range from 351 to 371 is more than explained by the jump in MPGe aka efficiency.
The obvious efficiency improvement is a switch to heat pump and Octavalve

So far Models Y and X;
S and 3 cannot be far behind
Likely battery chemistry. My understanding is the impact of a heat pump is negligible on EPA range ratings. It's a real world benefit for sure, but maybe not EPA estimate.

In Tesla style, the new MPG most likely is the combination of several enhancements to their product. They all add up to the better mileage.
Sometimes it is just updated software that increases regeneration, some new more efficient cabling, improved motors etc.

Someone posted their Monroney from their 2020 Model X LR+ and it has the same MPGe as the 2021 posted by OP.
This is the 2020 Model data from fueleconomy.gov. The new 2021 sticker is 101/109/105 for highway/city/combined

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 9.39.25 AM.png

• Disagree
This is the 2020 Model data from fueleconomy.gov. The new sticker is highway/city/combined of 101/109/105

View attachment 598406

But that is for the LR not the LR+. (Note the range of 328, where the LR+ has an estimated rated range of 351.)

My guess is that the LR+ hadn't gone through testing/approval so it had an estimate of 351, and that after completing the testing that it is now 371 and that existing vehicles will get a software update to reflect that. But that doesn't line up with what @verygreen is seeing. So we may see the 2020 LR+ with 351, and the 2021 LR+ with 371.

But that is for the LR not the LR+.
Right, so the Model X has increased range from 328 to 371 in going from the 2020 LR to the 2021 LR+ (a 13.1% increase)
and the MPGe has increased from 96 to 105 (a 9.3% increase.)

At face value then, 71% of the range increase is from efficiency improvements. The other easy hint that we are mostly talking about efficiency rather than battery chemistry is that the jump in city MPGe is higher than the increase in city MPGe. That would not happen with an energy increase.

Right, so the Model X has increased range from 328 to 371 in going from the 2020 LR to the 2021 LR+ (a 13.1% increase)
and the MPGe has increased from 96 to 105 (a 9.3% increase.)

At face value then, 71% of the range increase is from efficiency improvements. The other easy hint that we are mostly talking about efficiency rather than battery chemistry is that the jump in city MPGe is higher than the increase in city MPGe. That would not happen with an energy increase.
I mapped out all the window sticker efficiency and range updates earlier (see quoted post below). From the most recent 2020 window sticker (mfg date 3/2020) I found to the 2021 window sticker (mfg date 9/2020), efficiency did not change, but range went up 5-6%.

Combine this with the recent news that Panasonic was planning to start shipping a 5% improvement in energy density, and it seems pretty clear that the Model X has started receiving higher energy density cells.

If the 351-371 mile range update were due to efficiency, the MPGe numbers would have gone up, but they didn't.

BTW, the City MPGe went up with the Raven Model X/S in 2019 was because of the permanent magnet front motor, which is much more efficiency at light/low load than the old induction front motor.

FWIW, here are the ratings for the 2017-2020 Model X 100D / Long Range according to fueleconomy.gov

2017: 86 / 89 MPGe City / Hwy, 87 MPGe combined, 39 kWh / 100 mi, 295 miles total range
2018: 86 / 89 MPGe City / Hwy, 87 MPGe combined, 39 kWh / 100 mi, 295 miles total range (no change)
2019: 99 / 93 MPGe City / Hwy, 96 MPGe combined, 35 kWh / 100 mi, 325 miles total range ("Raven", PM front motor)
2020: 99 / 93 MPGe City / Hwy, 96 MPGe combined, 35 kWh / 100 mi, 328 miles total range (minor tweaks and Tesla sandbagging until planned updates ready?)
2020: 108 / 101 MPGe City / Hwy, 105 MPGe combined, 32 kWh / 100 mi, 351 miles total range (3/2020 mfg window sticker @Reason - more enhancements)
2021: 109 / 101 MPGe City / Hwy, 105 MPGe combined, 32 kWh / 100 mi, 371 miles total range (9/2020 mfg window sticker @ColdWeatherEV - bigger battery?)

@ColdWeatherEV - Can you confirm your mfg month?

Looks to me that the Model S/X are getting the just rumored ~5% capacity increase: 351 * 1.05 = 368 = pretty close to 371.

Edit: Source of 5% capacity boost rumor (Reuters, though it was in relation to 2170 cells - maybe the same chemistry improvements are going into all cells?)
Exclusive: Panasonic aims to boost energy density in Tesla batteries by 20% - executive

I mapped out all the window sticker efficiency and range updates earlier (see quoted post below). From the most recent 2020 window sticker (mfg date 3/2020) I found to the 2021 window sticker (mfg date 9/2020), efficiency did not change, but range went up 5-6%.

Combine this with the recent news that Panasonic was planning to start shipping a 5% improvement in energy density, and it seems pretty clear that the Model X has started receiving higher energy density cells.

If the 351-371 mile range update were due to efficiency, the MPGe numbers would have gone up, but they didn't.

BTW, the City MPGe went up with the Raven Model X/S in 2019 was because of the permanent magnet front motor, which is much more efficiency at light/low load than the old induction front motor.

well I guess now question is can I assumed that if I placed the order after other folks here, I will also get the 'H' battery with the potentially new chem

Great analysis but the X/S models don't have 2170 cells. Unless you believe that they may have switched to these cells?