Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X, Monroney Sticker Range Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a 9/20 Model X build on 9/25/20 but with a G pack. Is the general consensus that 371 will just be a software update for cars built with G and H packs? From what I can tell, seems like the EPA did testing for the 2021 model that updated the range, but cars with G packs built in 2020 model year couldn’t get EPA range increase as testing was already done for 2020. So they improved the car mid year and can now reflect it on the EPA listed range?

I just got a 9/20 Model X build on 9/25/20 but with a G pack. Is the general consensus that 371 will just be a software update for cars built with G and H packs? From what I can tell, seems like the EPA did testing for the 2021 model that updated the range, but cars with G packs built in 2020 model year couldn’t get EPA range increase as testing was already done for 2020. So they improved the car mid year and can now reflect it on the EPA listed range?

That's what Tesla said, yes. Who knows.

But looks like all of this is just a number massage. European WLTP numbers got updated last night and those list Model X LR+ at 348mi WLTP (!). So for the first time ever WLTP is more conservative than EPA.

Pretty similar. I opt for 5-seater this time. Going to keep my '16 6-seater. I love the 6-seater config, but kids are grown now, so I want to have the extra volume space of the 5-seater. can fold flat vs 6-seater cannot fold at all (I mean, it can lean, that's about it).

Blue LR+, 20" wheels, black interior, 5-seater, FSD.

-ThinkMac-

What is your spec? I placed an order for my Model X Long Range+ Oct. 6, 2020. Still no VIN number and hoping for a 2021 model year with new the new H battery.

My spec:
Blue Long Range+ | 20" rims | white+black interior | 6 seater

Normally your thinking/logic is correct, but they have started to change model years by year end now, as oppose to before.

We also extrapolated data based on the battery revision. We have confirmed customers that took delivery in Early Oct with a "M" model-year designation for MY 2021. Also confirmed battery pack rev H.

Both of my 2 ready-for-delivery cars with MY 2020, built in Sept/20. So from this I would assume, anything build starting Oct, 2020 will be "M" MY 2021 cars with rev H battery. Becasue I believe ColdWeatherEV mentioned his '21's built date was 09-20, so anything after that would be '21s no matter what.

We don't know if the 371 EPA rating will trickle down back to Sept 20 built cars with rev G batteries, although this could happen since rev G has the new wiring, but then why would there be a rev change IF batteries are the same? What if somehow, the 371 rating is only rev H pack and '21 model year. Then I would be amiss to not ask for a delay delivery and get the right car.

So to play it safe, I want to take delivery of 2021 MY with rev H pack.

When I took delivery of my 90D in Oct of 2016, I was a week off from getting the AP2.5 hardware, so I'm stuck with 2.0 - and cannot upgrade.

So this time around, I would rather wait and nag the sales rep till I get the '21 build instead. With my luck, the re-design will happen in 2022, and I will be jealous again, and probably go give Elon some more of my hard earn money.

-ThinkMac-

You are all not thinking of this correctly.
You're all talking about this as if Tesla saves up changes for the "new model year". That's how other car companies do it--not Tesla. Tesla rolls in changes constantly in realtime when they feel like it and doesn't save them up. And this idea that you can get a "2021" version car in October or November doesn't happen. They switch over the model years on the cars coming off the production line sometime in the last few weeks of December, and the "2020" model year cars are completely identical to the "2021" model year cars that are made the next day.

Reactions: 5JMJ and Bigriver
Did the Model 3 range get updated too? I don't remember it being 353 miles before. It's strange that the 3 would have gotten a range boost too. Change to the EPA testing? Tesla reducing the reserve in the battery pack?

Why is that strange? Model 3 got a bunch of updates - new wheels (presumably slightly more aerodynamic) but most importantly, adds a heat pump & Octovalve for more cooling & heating efficiency. That’s the primary driver behind the increased range. Some other nice Model 3 updates too - powered trunk opening, new center console, etc ...

all in all, a solid update. Now - that said - I’m sure they increased the Model X at the same time since they don’t want the 3 beating the “flagship” on range these days.
I know there’s been talk about the X’s future, but I’m convinced it’s with us for a very long time yet. It’s unique - and there’s no way spacex would shuttle astronauts to the pad in a discontinued vehicle. :)

Why is that strange? Model 3 got a bunch of updates - new wheels (presumably slightly more aerodynamic) but most importantly, adds a heat pump & Octovalve for more cooling & heating efficiency. That’s the primary driver behind the increased range. Some other nice Model 3 updates too - powered trunk opening, new center console, etc ...

all in all, a solid update. Now - that said - I’m sure they increased the Model X at the same time since they don’t want the 3 beating the “flagship” on range these days.
I know there’s been talk about the X’s future, but I’m convinced it’s with us for a very long time yet. It’s unique - and there’s no way spacex would shuttle astronauts to the pad in a discontinued vehicle. :)

Ahh, that's right. I forgot that they hadn't updated the range of the Model 3 since adding the heat pump. I was just thinking that it was strange the Model 3 and X got range increases at the same time when they use different battery pack architecture and different cells. Ignore my previous comment!

Reactions: dmurphy
upload_2020-10-16_8-46-10.png

My Model X is 08/20 build LR+. Feel ecstatic as well

Traded in 2018 LR Model S and got new inventory LR+ Model X last week of September. Got a good deal on trade in as well as the Model X buy. Feel lucky especially with drop in price for model S and increase range for Model X

Reactions: X007X

Do we have confirmation that the Model 3 got the heat pump with these changes?