Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X, Monroney Sticker Range Increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
better regen efficiency again it looks like (via a combination of improved battery wiring and some motor changes) - same as the previous time with LR+
@verygreen to me, that sounds like it should mostly just help out with city driving. So I'm guessing we shouldn't expect much improvement for interstate driving where we really want the extra range. Darn!

@verygreen to me, that sounds like it should mostly just help out with city driving. So I'm guessing we shouldn't expect much improvement for interstate driving where we really want the extra range. Darn!
same as LR+. But then again it depends on how congested the interstate driving is too. I noticed that on congested roads when my average speed is lower due to all the slowing down because I cannot pass people the consumption is better. When it's 90mph no slowdowns - the consumption is much higher (almost on par with 2017 X100D).

• Helpful
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
I don't think so, as you can see on the sticker the efficiency is the same (32 kWh per 100 miles). I think they increased usable capacity via voltage limits (higher max or lower min) or improved chemistry.
Well, once the update rolls out we'll see. But I doubt it's that. It's possible the sticker was not fully updated as a mistake for example or they improved charging efficiency (via the same process they are able to improve regen efficiency)

Typically when the pack capacity changes there's a much bigger change to the part number, not just a revision letter at the end.

Also I know somebody that has -H pack on the bench and it's still a 100kWh pack.

You are all not thinking of this correctly.
You're all talking about this as if Tesla saves up changes for the "new model year". That's how other car companies do it--not Tesla. Tesla rolls in changes constantly in realtime when they feel like it and doesn't save them up. And this idea that you can get a "2021" version car in October or November doesn't happen. They switch over the model years on the cars coming off the production line sometime in the last few weeks of December, and the "2020" model year cars are completely identical to the "2021" model year cars that are made the next day.
They say that, but it's becoming more the trend of batched updates. It's extremely difficult for an automaker to manage their supply chain, engineering designs, and spare parts inventory if there's too many changes per week. I think it was more normal early on, because Tesla had no choice but to fix flaws they discovered as quickly as possible.

We will still see more weekly innovation at Tesla than other automakers, but primarily related to software. I think the hardware aspect is updated less frequently because of all the issues it creates. Let's not forget Tesla had been working on the Model 3 (per a video interview with Elon) as early as their IPO in 2010. These new creations and their updates are probably more involved than we'd like to admit with Tesla, but some of them may be here already and here to stay. I think it's okay, because I'd rather get fast repairs due to easier sourcing of spare parts, more consistent build quality, etc.

I don't think they have the same number of minor issues as they used to and so they don't need to do such frequent hardware changes.

Maybe today is the day! I am installing 2020.40.4.5 that just popped up in my app for my 2020 X LR+ with H battery. My buddy with a 2018 X does not have an update to install. Maybe this is the range update.

Yep, 40.4.5 does the trick. I just installed it and my car is charged to 83% / 309 miles. Extrapolating gives 372. Yahoo! Even if it is smoke and mirrors, I'm happy. Release notes below:
20201016_125144.jpg

Yep, 40.4.5 does the trick. I just installed it and my car is charged to 83% / 309 miles. Extrapolating gives 372. Yahoo! Even if it is smoke and mirrors, I'm happy. Release notes below:
View attachment 599260
Awesome! It looks like capacity did indeed increase!

“Your car will now display a slightly higher range to more accurately reflect the capacity of the battery”

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV