Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model X whistling noise at low speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just traded in my 2018 75D Model X for the 2021 Long Range + version and on the drive home noticed a slight whistling noise coming from the front window area. Mobile Service came over yesterday, he drove it around and in an instant told me that it's a "known" issue - at least for the service folks. Apparently a thin groove underneath the rearview mirror is the cause of it. The technician put a strip of tape over it and we tested it with and without and indeed it's the cause. Apparently the fix (which they will apply at the next in-person service) is a thin layer of sealant to basically even out that little groove. Any thin, transparent tape will do apparently.

Thought I'd post it as a PSA because while the noise isn't loud, it is certainly prominent enough, especially at speeds from 10-30 MPH, that it's annoying. In SoCal where Santa Ana winds blow daily in the winter - I can hear it when the car is stationary.

Attachments

• IMG_4253.jpeg
    IMG_4253.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 411