Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y a Wireless charger problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK folks - I made a service appointment for this, in case it was s defective part. The service chat rep said he has issues with charging when his phone slides around, and maybe to put a block under it.. Mine had the problem when stationary, and so I pushed back, and asked for a mobile service call.

Mobile service rep checked the lights and also gave me a 1/4 inch strip of dense foam weatherstrip to put at the bottom of the (refreshed) center console. I tried it and it worked! Before, it would start charging, and it would reliably disconnect from charging in 30 seconds. I had no problem with remaining on charging for a 1-hour trip home. I think something like this weatherstrip from Lowe's might work. He said there are people who 3D print spacers for this issue, and it looks like there's someone on Etsy selling them. I will likely get the one from the Etsy seller, but the foam weatherstrip is working for now.

This is for a iPhone 12 Mini, with the Apple leather case. I haven't tried it without the case or on my wife's 12 Pro/Max yet.

• Informative
Reactions: DanDi58
I am still without any wireless charging. Thinking I will get the Jeda product. Does anyone know how to remove the MY OEM charger? I have the newer center console where the charger pads are on top (in the open). I have searched videos but all that I have found are focused on the older console with charger mounted inside.

Attachments

• center console.JPG
    center console.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 219
I am still without any wireless charging. Thinking I will get the Jeda product. Does anyone know how to remove the MY OEM charger? I have the newer center console where the charger pads are on top (in the open). I have searched videos but all that I have found are focused on the older console with charger mounted inside.
Jeda usually comes with installation instructions, although it doesn't appear that the wireless charger is compatible with the newer console yet...

Reactions: Cobe
All Iphones since 12 have that massive camera sticking out of the back so it’s doesn’t sit flat to make contact and charge. Add a case to level then it’s to fat. Home chargers work because they don’t sit on the camera.

Might be a workaround as with my iphone 12 pro it did the start/stop charge thing on the driver's side charge mat, passenger's mat worked fine but my 13 pro with is bigger camera bump is the problem i'm going to try this evening my driver's side workaround - rotate the device 180 degrees so the microphone is sticking upward and the notch is at the bottom - it may work like it did for my 12 pro

I noticed the same thing when I bought my 13 Pro. The wireless charging "mat" in my 2021 MY had a depression to account for the iPhone cameras of previous generations (12 and before) but the new (pro?) cameras on the iPhones no longer sit flush. This impacts both the charging but also the phone's ability to stay put as it now tends to slide around more that it's not flush.

Short of Tesla selling an updated wireless charging mold/mat, it makes sense to just DIY something. I find that if my phone stops charging, I can pull the top of the phone away from the mat and then tilt it back and it will re-initiate the charging until it's moved again.

I've had mobile service and service center look at my faulty charge pad 4-5 times. They replaced the pad itself but that didn't make a difference. I have a 13 mini, and I've found placing it on the pad and holding it at an angle (as diagonal as it can get within either side) is the only shot I have at getting some charge to flow. If I make a sharp turn and the phone slides to the normal vertical position though it's done. Service closed the ticket even though it hasn't been resolved.

Has anyone installed the jeda V4 MagSafe pad into a refresh console (open charging pad, 2021-2022) M3 or MY? I’d like to replace the pads in both my cars with the jeda V4 MagSafe one to make things faster and more reliable with our iPhone 13 minis.

Has anyone installed the jeda V4 MagSafe pad into a refresh console (open charging pad, 2021-2022) M3 or MY? I’d like to replace the pads in both my cars with the jeda V4 MagSafe one to make things faster and more reliable with our iPhone 13 minis.
just bumping this to see if anyone has retrofitted the 2021-2022 refreshed charging pad with Jeda.

Both of mine work fine ('21 MYP) using a Pixel 6 with a wallet case and 2 credit cards between the pad and phone. I think its probably just bad QA.... where mine has the coils mounted properly centered or closer to the alcantara fabric.

Higher end Qi chargers usually have more than one coil so that you have some degree of play with alignment. I bet the Tesla pad only has a single coil so it has to be aligned "just right" with the coil on your phone which would explain why the poster above fixed his issue using a foam spacer.

I can’t speak to the newer consoles but there is a known issue with the wireless charging pad in the old consoles. I took a short video showing that my iPhone 13 Pro Max would not charge wirelessly with a case on (apple oe mag safe case). In a pinch you can remove the case and the phone will charge.

The 13 Pro Max also rattles quite a bit because of the camera bump it cannot sit flat on the OE charging pad. My long term solution was to replace the OE pad with the Jeda v4. Very happy with it. Not sure if it will work with the new console.

I can’t speak to the newer consoles but there is a known issue with the wireless charging pad in the old consoles. I took a short video showing that my iPhone 13 Pro Max would not charge wirelessly with a case on (apple oe mag safe case). In a pinch you can remove the case and the phone will charge.

The 13 Pro Max also rattles quite a bit because of the camera bump it cannot sit flat on the OE charging pad. My long term solution was to replace the OE pad with the Jeda v4. Very happy with it. Not sure if it will work with the new console.

Jeda V4 doesn’t work with the new console. Wish it did.