Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y a Wireless charger problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’m having problems with my wireless phone charger in my 2021 Model Y Performance. When I put the phone on the charging pad it sometimes starts charging for a minute or so the stops and sometimes doesn’t start charging at all. Other times it charges for several minutes before stopping. Is anyone else having this problem? Is happens on both sides and I have an iPhone 13 Pro and and iPhone mini 13.

Thanks!!

Exactly the same thing for my Pixel. Phone charges for 5 - 20 minutes, and then stops. Pick up phone, extremely hot. I have noticed it happens more often, quickly, when I have Waze running on the phone than when the phone is locked and charging.
I haven’t noticed the phone being hot but the 5-20 minute charge thing is the problem for me. Anyone who has had this problem get it resolved?

I haven’t noticed the phone being hot but the 5-20 minute charge thing is the problem for me. Anyone who has had this problem get it resolved?
I just got my iphone 13pro and have a case. I had the same problem until I discovered that when you put the phone on the charger, it doesn't seat all the way down.

I found that if you GENTLY persuade your phone into the bottom crease of the charger shelf my phone stays charging. You may want to try that.

I just got my iphone 13pro and have a case. I had the same problem until I discovered that when you put the phone on the charger, it doesn't seat all the way down.

I found that if you GENTLY persuade your phone into the bottom crease of the charger shelf my phone stays charging. You may want to try that.
Sorry, I just realized that some/most of you guys have the refreshed center console. I have the original one. My bad!

I am also struggling with my wireless phone charger in my 2021 Model Y. Received car this June and I am not sure charger was ever functional. No cases used for both iphones (12x). Both phones accept wireless charging at home seamlessly.

I noticed my used manual does not show the new refreshed center console design. Is there a newer MY manual?

I am also struggling with my wireless phone charger in my 2021 Model Y. Received car this June and I am not sure charger was ever functional. No cases used for both iphones (12x). Both phones accept wireless charging at home seamlessly.

I noticed my used manual does not show the new refreshed center console design. Is there a newer MY manual?
Yes, the latest one refers to SW update 2021.32 - Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla Funny, I can't seem to find the latest version in a pdf now. I like to download it to my computer. Guess I will just bookmark that link now.

Exactly the same thing for my Pixel. Phone charges for 5 - 20 minutes, and then stops. Pick up phone, extremely hot. I have noticed it happens more often, quickly, when I have Waze running on the phone than when the phone is locked and charging.
I have the same issue with a Pixel 5. It mostly happens when running ABRP, but it can happen any time.

Some other cars have a cooling vent over the charge pad to help with this, but Tesla doesn't.

All Iphones since 12 have that massive camera sticking out of the back so it’s doesn’t sit flat to make contact and charge. Add a case to level then it’s to fat. Home chargers work because they don’t sit on the camera.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
Maybe not garbage, but seems to be well reported on this forum that the charging coils are undersized and/or underpowered. When the phone can't be too big or too small or have a certain type of magsafe approved charging case, and you're just keeping fingers crossed every time you put it on the ramp...there's a problem. underwhelming and disappointing from Tesla of all manufacturers.

Reactions: e-Ride and Cobe
Might be a workaround as with my iphone 12 pro it did the start/stop charge thing on the driver's side charge mat, passenger's mat worked fine but my 13 pro with is bigger camera bump is the problem i'm going to try this evening my driver's side workaround - rotate the device 180 degrees so the microphone is sticking upward and the notch is at the bottom - it may work like it did for my 12 pro

BTW this is for the Tesla Charge mat from a pre-facelift 3 but with the new frunk!