Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y delivery scheduled for Dec 30...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
I have my 21’ model y scheduled for delivery on dec 30 . I booked a long range with 20 inch induction wheels .
I live in Chicago area.. and have few questions to the experts .

1) Do 20’ wheels make more sense for Chicago cold weather and snow ..? I read few articles that it may reduce range but provides better traction in snowy conditions. Any advise or feedback ?

2) Anything I need to look out in the delivery process - such as detailed inspections, things to watch out for?

3) Any recommendations on the chargers since I am relatively new to the EV world . Tesla guys said I can buy a Nemo plug at the service center and that should give me good range . Should I order the 500$ Tesla wall charger or is it premature to do it now? Will the Nemo charger be sufficient. , also any advise on the 240v port installation , how much does it cost typically.

4) I qualified for the free 1 year supercharging - any tips on dos’ donts with using supercharging too many times ?

Thanks a ton !

Hey guys,
I have my 21’ model y scheduled for delivery on dec 30 . I booked a long range with 20 inch induction wheels .

1) Do 20’ wheels make more sense for Chicago cold weather and snow ..? I read few articles that it may reduce range but provides better traction in snowy conditions. Any advise or feedback ?

2) Anything I need to look out in the delivery process - such as detailed inspections, things to watch out for?

3) Any recommendations on the chargers since I am relatively new to the EV world . Tesla guys said I can buy a Nemo plug at the service center and that should give me good range . Should I order the 500$ Tesla wall charger or is it premature to do it now? Will the Nemo charger be sufficient. , also any advise on the 240v port installation , how much does it cost typically.

4) I qualified for the free 1 year supercharging - any tips on dos’ donts with using supercharging too many times ?

Thanks a ton !
what is your VIN ?

@Venkatrockz3

I am also slated to pick up my MY LR AWD on the 30th! How exactly did you find out that you got the free year of supercharging? The text I received before ordering said it would be added to my account within two weeks after the new year but I don't currently know how to verify that. I've scheduled my appointment but I have yet to get the link to make my final payment. My VIN is 94XXX

My SA said anyone who takes delivery between Dec12-31, 2021 will automatically qualify for the 1 year of free supercharging. I ordered an inventory/demo MYP with less than 200 miles on it and take delivery Dec 30th. I was able to check the vehicle out before putting a deposit on it.

@dmd2005

That's great! I haven't even been contacted by an SA. Everything has been "automated" so far. I have considered contacting my delivery center to verify that a human knows about my delivery appointment but I haven't thus far.

That's great that you were able to put eyes on your MYP before purchasing it. I'm excited to pick mine up but also crossing my fingers that everything is good with it (QC issues etc.).

I've got everything set up at home so I'm just counting the hours until I pick it up!

92XXX

@dmd2005

That's great! I haven't even been contacted by an SA. Everything has been "automated" so far. I have considered contacting my delivery center to verify that a human knows about my delivery appointment but I haven't thus far.

That's great that you were able to put eyes on your MYP before purchasing it. I'm excited to pick mine up but also crossing my fingers that everything is good with it (QC issues etc.).

I've got everything set up at home so I'm just counting the hours until I pick it up!
what is your VIN ?

Hey guys,

Thanks a ton !

Smaller wheels with larger tires are generally going to be safer in the mid-west with all the crazy pot-holes we're usually exposed to, especially in the winter. The type of tire you choose will have a bigger impact on winter driving than anything. 20" wheels means your winter tire options will probably be a bit more expensive than if you would have stuck with the 19" wheels. I plan on running the nicer wheels in the summer (in your case the 20") and then have a second set of winter only wheels in a smaller size with winter dedicated tires. For you that would be like ordering a set of gemini wheels with the winter tires. It's up to you though. And depends on how much snow and ice you will be getting.

Hey guys,

Thanks a ton !

1. I don't live in Chicago, but I do have the 20 inductions in MD and so far, they've been fantastic. The ride has actually been smoother than the Model Y with 19's that I test drove.

2.) Take your time looking over the car for irregular panel gaps, misaligned lights, doors, interior trim pieces, trunk etc.

3.) First thing I did was order the home charger. It's getting installed on Thursday. The home charger connects to Wi-Fi and can be updated as well. You're in the Tesla Eco-system. Why not continue to use their products for a smooth experience?

4.) Supercharging often is not recommended. Supercharging generates heat and heat is a batteries enemy. Unless you're going on a long trip, don't supercharge often.

1. I don't live in Chicago, but I do have the 20 inductions in MD and so far, they've been fantastic. The ride has actually been smoother than the Model Y with 19's that I test drove.

2.) Take your time looking over the car for irregular panel gaps, misaligned lights, doors, interior trim pieces, trunk etc.

3.) First thing I did was order the home charger. It's getting installed on Thursday. The home charger connects to Wi-Fi and can be updated as well. You're in the Tesla Eco-system. Why not continue to use their products for a smooth experience?

4.) Supercharging often is not recommended. Supercharging generates heat and heat is a batteries enemy. Unless you're going on a long trip, don't supercharge often.

Great answers! We take delivery of our Model Y today. We are SUPER excited and had similar questions (2,3,4)

How much of a discount do you get when purchasing a demo car?

Depends on the mileage and how long the vehicle has been there for. I chose a 2021 with 300 km on the odometer and got about $1700 CDN off. There was a brand new 2020 with only 10km that was designated as a demo as well with a $4700 discount and Sept build date, but I couldn’t view the vehicle so elected for the 2021 we test drove and was able to inspect.

Demo vehicles are purchased as is, so no bringing it back for panel gaps, paint defects, curbed wheels, etc. I think they purposely designated the 2020 as demo so whoever takes delivery will not be able to have defects fixed. Possibly even a rejected delivery vehicle.

The 2021 had the layered front glass, but no usb stick nor glovebox port.

Last edited: