Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y - Early vs Late Release - NHTSA Safety ratings

electric_noob

Jul 10, 2021
Seattle
According to nhtsa.gov/ratings, the 2021 Model Y (later release) does not have 3 of the 4 critical safety features (screenshot #1). But when I build a Model Y on tesla.com, I see these as standard (see screenshot #2). Does anyone know more about this? Can someone with the later release of Model Y in 2021 confirm these are indeed standard?

The only related article I could find was this article by consumer reports. Apparently this is due to the switch from radar to camera based safety systems. It confirms that Model 3 has since regained recognition by NHTSA but no word on Model Y yet.

I am looking to get a decisive answer before I place an order for the Model Y. Hoping someone on this forum can help!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 8.27.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 8.27.26 PM.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 8.31.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 8.31.38 PM.png
    131.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
The 3 and the Y are essentially the same platform so it'll get it's rating back after they retest the Y. Ya gotta realize the rating is for the specific car (radar based at that time) so when Tesla switched to vision based system, the previous rating could not apply to the new system.

Reactions: srlawren

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
Visalia, CA
According to nhtsa.gov/ratings, the 2021 Model Y (later release) does not have 3 of the 4 critical safety features (screenshot #1).
Correct.

But when I build a Model Y on tesla.com, I see these as standard (see screenshot #2).
Also correct.
...Can someone with the later release of Model Y in 2021 confirm these are indeed standard?...
You are talking about 2 different websites so you might be confused about both claims.

How can one site say yes and one can say no?

Yes, both claims are correct.

For example, the US Olympic site says Tesla got the Gold medal and the World Olympic website says Tesla does not get the Gold medal (because the Tokyo Olympics hasn't even started yet.)

The only related article I could find was this article by consumer reports. Apparently this is due to the switch from radar to camera based safety systems. It confirms that Model 3 has since regained recognition by NHTSA but no word on Model Y yet...
I have not read that NHTSA certifies that Model 3 regains the full 4 out of 4 safety standards. I just looked up from NHTSA and there are 3 no's out of 4 safety standards. Both Model 3 and Model Y have indeed regained 1 out of 4 safety standards--Lane Departure Warning:

1625986869631.png

I am looking to get a decisive answer before I place an order for the Model Y. Hoping someone on this forum can help!

It's just like when the Jeweler Tesla says that it sold you a diamond. It's certified by Jeweler Tesla indeed. But when you ask Jeweler NHTSA if this is a real diamond or not, Jeweler NHTSA would say that it has not tested that for diamond yet, so the answer is a default "no for certification".

On the other hand, other Jewelers like IIHS and Consumers Reports have indeed tested it so their answer is yes.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC