Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y - Frunk Latch Tension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone!

I just took delivery of a 2021 Model Y; however, I noticed the hood appeared to be warped (left and right side of the tesla logo). After a few adjustments to the bumpers under the hood (the ones that you can twist to the right or left to adjust height), I was able to remove the warp. But now...the hood is a little more sunk in rather than it being flush with the fenders.

IMHO, I believe the issue is that the trunk latch is somehow pulling down the hood too tight when the hood is set at the appropriate height. Is there a way to adjust the height up a bit in the latch or reduce the tension? Or...do I just need to live with a more sunken hood then other Model Ys?

The "hood" is notorious for being dented/warped easily. The latch-hook is attached to a separate under panel which is a lot stronger. As far as the structural integrity goes, I feel like it's slightly thicker than about 10 sheets of household aluminum foil. :rolleyes:

But jokes aside, you can also adjust the fitment further by adjusting the latch mechanism itself. This involves you removing the frunk tub among other things. If you aren't comfortable in doing so, open a service request to have a mobile tech come out and perform the work. However, they may not even approve that service citing that it's "within spec".

Reactions: darkwinters
The "hood" is notorious for being dented/warped easily. The latch-hook is attached to a separate under panel which is a lot stronger. As far as the structural integrity goes, I feel like it's slightly thicker than about 10 sheets of household aluminum foil. :rolleyes:

But jokes aside, you can also adjust the fitment further by adjusting the latch mechanism itself. This involves you removing the frunk tub among other things. If you aren't comfortable in doing so, open a service request to have a mobile tech come out and perform the work. However, they may not even approve that service citing that it's "within spec".
Thanks for the info! I dont mind doing it myself, I just need instructions or pictures showing me how to make the adjustment. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the info! I dont mind doing it myself, I just need instructions or pictures showing me how to make the adjustment. Any help will be appreciated.
You want to do a search on Auto Frunk or Tesla Offer Power Frunk in the forum or on Youtube. In those videos, they show you how to remove the tub and work with the latch mechanism. Don't remove the mechanism completely, loosen it just enough so that you can reposition it with a tap here and a tap there. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: darkwinters
My MYP has this issue too. One of the guy at the check in area said I might be doing it wrong by putting my palms next to the Tesla logo. He demonstrated how to close it by putting his hands on the edge of the hood.

This is completely opposite of what the owner manual says…

1645278826033.png

Anyway, they’re going to try to adjust it.