Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y lots of road noise rumble on stock 19's - any advice for improvement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes however the ear fatigue could only be due, in part, to the peak at 35 Hz. The broader noise spectrum is probably just as much a source of discomfort. Active noise cancelling would be one way to minimize the perceived cabin noise. When I fly in a commercial plane I put on my Bose noise cancelling headset before takeoff, don't take the headset off until we land. The noise cancelling technology greatly reduces my ear fatigue when flying.
So I actually tried my sennheiser noise-canceling headphones and they actually made things worse because they can barely do anything to cancel out frequencies so low, but in fact cancel everything else out. So the net effect is that the booming rumble seems even louder and worse since it's the only remaining audible thing.

The rumbling noise may be in part caused by the tires. What type of road surface? I experienced loud road noise on Michelin tires but only on a specific interstate road that was paved with concrete. When I needed to replace the tires I switched brands, much of the road noise was gone.

There are no silver bullets when it comes to reducing noise levels in cars. Luxury makers can use up to 500 lbs. of sound deadening materials. Think what that would do to an EV's range. Lead is the best material because it is really dense, but obviously impractical due to the weight. Tesla's cars often weigh less than competitors EV's and maybe part of the reason is that they accept more noise rather than more weight, thus less range.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Here's a short video I recorded earlier today showing my decibel meter set to dBC (more accurately measuring low frequencies) while I drive 20 MPH down an average-quality neighborhood street in Los Angeles. Noise levels average 95-97 dB and go as high as 105 dB at one point! Geez! Not good.
Do you recommend that Extech meter? Looks like the SL510 if I'm not mistaken.

Do you recommend that Extech meter? Looks like the SL510 if I'm not mistaken.
This Extech SL510 is a perfectly good professional dB meter and accurate to within 1dB. It’s not the best thing ever; I’d love something with some more modern capability like a built in FFT readout and an easy way to get records into a computer. Unfortunately meters with those features are typically thousands of dollars. But for the price it’s quite good, with the main benefit being the accuracy and reliability of the readings.

Reactions: polyphonic54

Here's a short video I recorded earlier today showing my decibel meter set to dBC (more accurately measuring low frequencies) while I drive 20 MPH down an average-quality neighborhood street in Los Angeles. Noise levels average 95-97 dB and go as high as 105 dB at one point! Geez! Not good.
Jeez this sounds horrible. I don’t have my Tesla yet but if it was like this I would consider selling it quickly.

Hi, I found this thread and was going to make an appointment with my service center to try to get them to fix the sub in the hatch to see. I also fixed the squeak from the amplifier in the back right trunk behind the panel. I also isolated the sound from under the second row by placing felt under the seat actuators which are hooked on the same way as the amplifier and screwed down metal to metal. I have a service appointment to fix the middle seat rattle that is probably from the middle seat actuator. Fixing the amplifier and the middle row left and right seat actuator has made a world of difference. I currently keep the middle seat folded down to prevent the middle seat from rattling. Next is trying to get them to work on the sub in the hatch where I think a lot of your sound is coming from as well

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
This Extech SL510 is a perfectly good professional dB meter and accurate to within 1dB. It’s not the best thing ever; I’d love something with some more modern capability like a built in FFT readout and an easy way to get records into a computer. Unfortunately meters with those features are typically thousands of dollars. But for the price it’s quite good, with the main benefit being the accuracy and reliability of the readings.
Thanks - I used an earthworks M3 with Izotope RX in my cars but have been unable to make sense of the data. I’d be happy to process any recordings in RX.

Ordered the Extech. Will see what happens.

Thanks - I used an earthworks M3 with Izotope RX in my cars but have been unable to make sense of the data. I’d be happy to process any recordings in RX.

Ordered the Extech. Will see what happens.
I’m an audio engineer. I’d be happy to evaluate any recordings you have. The main thing to understand is that a recording will not allow me to evaluate loudness in the car itself (dB SPL, or sound pressure level, the real loudness in the world). That can only be determined using a dB meter and noting the readings. But I can do spectral analysis and identify which frequencies are loudest in relative terms.
You were very savvy to get an Earthworks mic for recording; these have an extremely flat fast and accurate frequency response making them well suited to frequency analysis.

Reactions: polyphonic54
I reached out to Mountain Pass Performance and Unplugged Performance to ask if their respective Comfort Coilovers would add any improvement to this booming road noise issue. TL;DR - nope.

Here is the response from MPP:

While they improve comfort, there isn't anything special about them that would reduce the transmission of road noise into the cabin. Our kits use the same isolating parts as the OEM suspension, which is something most aftermarket kits don't do. I think the cargo tray is your best bet, and you could even try a bunch of blankets first to test my theory!

And here is the response from Unplugged:

The luxury coilover kit will definitely help with the ride quality, especially over bumps. Since we are replacing the factory shock with a new unit along with an appropriate spring, the ride will be smoother. Our shock is adjustable so we can also dial in how firm or soft you want the ride to be.

As far as the noise coming through the car, the coilovers will not fix that issue. The issue is due to a lack of noise insulating materials and with the car being electric, outside noises can seem louder when compared to a standard combustion engine car.

Yes, the low/boomy rumble went away. The Contis were simply loud when driving over uneven roads in a bizzare way I had not experienced with other ties in the past. Bumps are still a bit harsh from the stiff suspension, but honestly not much different than my previous BMWs with runflats.

So many different threads, but I didn't mention on this one that I also had installed the RPM sound reduction kit about a month after my new tires. It also helped for sure, but with wind noise more than anything, not really road noise. And even then, the biggest improvement in wind noise reduction was the SC replacing my windshield and roof glass because of a factory defect in the windshield and the roof glass misaligned from the factory. Barely hear any wind noise at this point, even if considerably windy outside.
I have a 2021 MY LR with standard wheels/tires and am very bothered by the boominess. I’m encouraged that you report that changing the tires made that sound just go away. But I don’t understand why more people don’t seem to acknowledge that you appear to have found the silver bullet. Do you know of anyone else who has changed tires with the same result? Do you have any doubt that the issue you were experiencing was the same as the OP and that the tires fixed it? I’d happily buy a set of these tires if they would fix the problem but I’d truly hate to spend $1000 and still have the same problem. Thus my request for double-confirmation. Thanks for posting your experience and for humoring me!

EDIT: In another thread, you said this about your new tires: “Any vibration/humming over 60 mph is now gone”. Is that the noise you’re talking about? Because the boomy noise I have is at low speeds.

Last edited:
I have a 2021 MY LR with standard wheels/tires and am very bothered by the boominess. I’m encouraged that you report that changing the tires made that sound just go away. But I don’t understand why more people don’t seem to acknowledge that you appear to have found the silver bullet. Do you know of anyone else who has changed tires with the same result? Do you have any doubt that the issue you were experiencing was the same as the OP and that the tires fixed it? I’d happily buy a set of these tires if they would fix the problem but I’d truly hate to spend $1000 and still have the same problem. Thus my request for double-confirmation. Thanks for posting your experience and for humoring me!

EDIT: In another thread, you said this about your new tires: “Any vibration/humming over 60 mph is now gone”. Is that the noise you’re talking about? Because the boomy noise I have is at low speeds.
I changed my tires with very low miles and the boominess is still there. So it didn’t work for me. It’s the stiff suspension.