Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y lots of road noise rumble on stock 19's - any advice for improvement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the 21” Michelin PS AS4 tires and Mountainpass Adjustable Comfort Coilovers, rpmtesla noise deduction kit with extra sealing added to hatch (will address a lot of boom).

The most significant fix for all the road noise has been applying butyl and foam sound deadener inside the front wheel well liners. There’s so much road and tire noise that is generated here and passes into the door area which is separated by thin sheetmetal from fender, and also transmitted into the cabin through the firewall and other means, and the front fender liner itself is not properly flocked to absorb/dampen sound (rears are much better). Any noise that gets into the cabin is magnified, in a boomy manner with some echo; try being in front seats with door open and talking to someone who is standing outside.

It took me about 3 hours for each front fender to dismount wheel, remove the fender, apply material and reassemble, but well worth it. I’ve been driving on these for a week and have been very, very happy with the car. It makes a profound improvement in comfort. Difference is like sleeping under a thick comforter. I posted here: MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

While there is sound improvement to be made in quieter tires, don’t assume it will solve all of it in the Model Y. If you stand by a busy road with any texture and watch cars go by, there’s a high level of tire noise generated regardless of tire. If someone zips by in silence, flag that car down and ask for what tire they use. Personally I would always go for the safest tire that gives great confidence in all conditions I drive in; mildly quieter than original tire is a bonus.

Last edited:
Jeez this sounds horrible. I don’t have my Tesla yet but if it was like this I would consider selling it quickly.
This sounds more like wind noise with some road noise. My alignment was way off and Tesla fixed it with no issue. Still have some road noise on 20 mile per hour roads but I don’t think they checked the rear tires. That’s my next thing on the list.

Drove a Tesla for the first time today, LR Y, Performance Y, and LR 3 test drives. You get on the highway quickly from the dealer, once we got off we immediately noticed the boominess. It’s not wind noise or rattle, super weird pressure boominess at 30ish MPH while hitting bumps. Goes away completely at highway speed. Absolutely zero evidence in 3 and the Y Performance was unnoticeable. But that Y LR was unbearable. Drove it twice because we thought we were crazy, it’s so bad. I theorized it was the large trunk cavities with a cover amplifying the bumps. We drove with the trunk covers propped up and it did help but the sound is terrible. We went from buying a Y to basically backing out completely. Blows my mind that the Y Performance had no sound.

I am also coming from owning an i3 for 2 years so I’m used to the quiet of an EV, this sound was ridiculous. Also very possible that some people are not affected by the pressure or live in an area it wouldn’t affect them or simply don’t hear that dB well. I’m hoping for a solution because we otherwise loved the car.

Reactions: newtman
Drove a Tesla for the first time today, LR Y, Performance Y, and LR 3 test drives. You get on the highway quickly from the dealer, once we got off we immediately noticed the boominess. It’s not wind noise or rattle, super weird pressure boominess at 30ish MPH while hitting bumps. Goes away completely at highway speed. Absolutely zero evidence in 3 and the Y Performance was unnoticeable. But that Y LR was unbearable. Drove it twice because we thought we were crazy, it’s so bad. I theorized it was the large trunk cavities with a cover amplifying the bumps. We drove with the trunk covers propped up and it did help but the sound is terrible. We went from buying a Y to basically backing out completely. Blows my mind that the Y Performance had no sound.

I am also coming from owning an i3 for 2 years so I’m used to the quiet of an EV, this sound was ridiculous. Also very possible that some people are not affected by the pressure or live in an area it wouldn’t affect them or simply don’t hear that dB well. I’m hoping for a solution because we otherwise loved the car.
There is a thread re boominess from the hatch. The rubber stops can be adjusted. Also custom bump stops have been 3D printed to precisely control the closing of the hatch.

Reactions: voxel
Just came back from a test drive.. same as pklesmith - the noise even at 10mph across a flat car park was unbearable. I was really disappointed as was set on a model Y before this but now it's a do not buy due to my wife essentially vetoing it as the 20 minutes test drive was hurting her ears.

Kinda stuck as we need something with a bigger boot and Tesla no longer an option.. sigh.. first world problems I guess.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, I feel this one is closest to what I am experiencing.

Just purchased a new 2023 Model Y. TX build. Build quality is good. No panel issues, no rattling or unwanted wind noise. Steering wheel did not come off ;) Car feels very solid. Except it felt a bit noisy on the way back from the pick-up on the highway.

Did more local driving yesterday, and realized there is a constant rumbling/subwoofer like noise on pretty much all roads, especially noticeable at slower speeds like 20-40 mph. Really the only time the noise stops is when I am almost completely stopped. On smoother roads, it happens less. On rougher or noisier roads, it happens constantly.

I looked through this thread, and looked into the rear hatch rubber stop adjustment. Adjusted it a bit, but made no difference. I don't think it's the pressure difference issue. As the rumbling is still there when I have all the windows down. I also put some pillow in the fronk, and some stuff in the trunk to see if it helps. Again no difference.

It seem to come from under the car, and have a subwoofer like feel to it. Constant rumbling on any bump or road imperfection (noisy road) will trigger it. It is very fatiguing and I can't stand it. I don't remember hearing this in the test vehicles I tried, but it's possible I was focusing on the tech and didn't realize it. But I was driving my daughter to school this morning, and after a while she asked "what is that weird noise?". So she also hears it (with the radio on). I asked if this sound exists with a friend's recent model S, she said no.

Op, did you ever found a solution to your problem? This is a huge let down as the car feels very solid otherwise. Could this be the suspension system is breaking in?

I can share my thoughts after extensive reading. YMMV.

1) Adjust the hatch. Losts of videos on this.
2) Add support to the hatch and door insulation. Videos on that too.
3) Line or further insulate the lower storage area (dynamat, etc).
4) Lower tire PSI. I'll be using 38.
5) There is a wrap/insulation (I need to find it again myself) that goes between the windows and the roof. This is supposed to reduce wind noise.

Here is a video I bumped into that well covers most of the things I've considered.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, I feel this one is closest to what I am experiencing.

Just purchased a new 2023 Model Y. TX build. Build quality is good. No panel issues, no rattling or unwanted wind noise. Steering wheel did not come off ;) Car feels very solid. Except it felt a bit noisy on the way back from the pick-up on the highway.

Did more local driving yesterday, and realized there is a constant rumbling/subwoofer like noise on pretty much all roads, especially noticeable at slower speeds like 20-40 mph. Really the only time the noise stops is when I am almost completely stopped. On smoother roads, it happens less. On rougher or noisier roads, it happens constantly.

I looked through this thread, and looked into the rear hatch rubber stop adjustment. Adjusted it a bit, but made no difference. I don't think it's the pressure difference issue. As the rumbling is still there when I have all the windows down. I also put some pillow in the fronk, and some stuff in the trunk to see if it helps. Again no difference.

It seem to come from under the car, and have a subwoofer like feel to it. Constant rumbling on any bump or road imperfection (noisy road) will trigger it. It is very fatiguing and I can't stand it. I don't remember hearing this in the test vehicles I tried, but it's possible I was focusing on the tech and didn't realize it. But I was driving my daughter to school this morning, and after a while she asked "what is that weird noise?". So she also hears it (with the radio on). I asked if this sound exists with a friend's recent model S, she said no.

Op, did you ever found a solution to your problem? This is a huge let down as the car feels very solid otherwise. Could this be the suspension system is breaking in?
5/16" inch vinyl tubing around the hatch worked best for me. A $7 solution had the most impact. Good luck!

Around here, this problem is called "booming." There is a lot of info about mitigations in the unfortunately-named ear pain/pressure thread.

I had the same problem with mine last year; it was my biggest complaint by far. But I tried a weatherstripping kit from Amazon, and it made all the difference! Here is a link, Basenor Kit Mine was slightly different, and included the frunk and rear openings also. But what a difference!
Really? I purchased the Basenor Kit and only installed one door but no difference..

Reactions: PecuniaNonOlet
Starting to feel like its time to give up on the Model Y. Have 56,000 mile on it now and while the drivetrain and charging network is amazing, the experience is horrendous due to above healthy noice levels and crappy handling. On broken tarmac up and down US80 I frequently record over 90dB background noice in the cabin. Unbearable. I have sunk so much money into trying to make this a livable car (suspension, tires, rubber seals) but have had it. Likely selling this car as its unhealthy to do my weekly 400 mile commutes in the Model Y cabin. Not sure what to get instead but cannot recommend the MY due to this.

Reactions: Stach and jebinc
Starting to feel like its time to give up on the Model Y. Have 56,000 mile on it now and while the drivetrain and charging network is amazing, the experience is horrendous due to above healthy noice levels and crappy handling. On broken tarmac up and down US80 I frequently record over 90dB background noice in the cabin. Unbearable. I have sunk so much money into trying to make this a livable car (suspension, tires, rubber seals) but have had it. Likely selling this car as its unhealthy to do my weekly 400 mile commutes in the Model Y cabin. Not sure what to get instead but cannot recommend the MY due to this.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Sandy Munro made an actually useful video about why the Model 3/Y ride so harshly and noisily compared to the S/X and other quiet and smooth cars?

There has to be an exact engineering reason as opposed to all the guesses and false claims from forum members and snake oil selling vendors.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Sandy Munro made an actually useful video about why the Model 3/Y ride so harshly and noisily compared to the S/X and other quiet and smooth cars?

There has to be an exact engineering reason as opposed to all the guesses and false claims from forum members and snake oil selling vendors.
Yes - would love that. Elon can continue his crazy twitter adventure all day long but reality is Tesla cars is a crappy travel experience for longer drives (i have owned 3 different, put significant miles on them in a short time. had a total battery fail at less than 20k miles etc.) and the service a joke!

Yes - would love that. Elon can continue his crazy twitter adventure all day long but reality is Tesla cars is a crappy travel experience for longer drives (i have owned 3 different, put significant miles on them in a short time. had a total battery fail at less than 20k miles etc.) and the service a joke!

Service is in an inverted flatspin.

Which 3 have you owned? My 2023 Model S is a very pleasant driving experience compared to the 3 and Y in our family.