Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Performance or get a new 2023?

Which would you get?

• 2021 with FSD

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 2023 without FSD

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My husband and I are in a pickle. We cannot decide between a 2021 MYP with 25k miles or brand new 2023.

Here are the benefits of the older 2021 model:
  • FSD
  • All mobile connectors/chargers included
  • New tires
  • $6,000 cheaper than a non-FSD 2023 MYP
  • USS?
  • 2022 features (interior console, double paned glass, HEPA filter)

If we went with a brand new MYP, then:
  • No FSD
  • Longer bumper to bumper warranty (1.5 years)
  • Tesla Vision
  • Comfort suspension

What would you get?

What's the price? Do you qualify for the federal tax credit? Any state incentives? Do you really need FSD?

A LR with acceleration boost will give to close to the P model and you could qualify for the federal tax credit.

The 21 has USS which is good. I don't want to say until I know the price 😎

The price for the 21’ is $53k. We do qualify for the federal tax credit, but are not able to make full use of it. Unsure about the state incentives.

FSD is not needed and is a nice-to-have.

The cosmetic differences in the Performance model along with the “sports” suspension is what has us interested.

If your not in need of FSD then I don't know that I would go that route. It's $4,000 cheaper then the new one without FSD. If you only want to use FSD once in a while you can sub to it for $200 a month. Most will opt for the EAP which gives you all the FSD feature except for a few things like city street function. Most will probably get by with EAP.

Right now my decision, based on what you have said, would be to opt for a new one. If your financing the vehicle the difference in finance charges between use and new maybe enough to cover the $4k difference in price.

You always want to buy the newest Tesla you can comfortably afford as the hardware often changes on these vehicles. As some have already pointed out, the most important is the new/fresh battery pack & warranty which outweigh everything else. The battery is the most expensive component and basically the heart of the vehicle. The newer car should also be better built, with a more comfortable suspension, a significantly faster infotainment system for media & internet apps, and probably includes the best all-season tires you can buy = the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4.

Unless you are very familiar with FSD, there's also a huge chance it doesn't do what you think it does. At best its strongest feature is automatic lane changes which will help immensely with using AutoPilot on longer drives. At worst it's a suite of features that are mostly gimmicks to use once to show off to friends and family. With the FSD beta now open to all who purchased it, its possible the vehicle can be used with that.. but it is a very hands-on experience that requires your strict & undivided attention.. and should be viewed as driver-assistance software only. As someone else has suggested its best to buy the $199 monthly subscription to FSD to see what features will truly appeal to you. And once you understand exactly what you are getting, determine if it's worth the premium price.

I have a MYLR on order that I will hopefully get tomorrow, unless I have to reject it due to build quality issues like I did with my first VIN.

My “backup” should delivery day fail again is a 2021 MYP at CarMax with 23K miles ($50K, but they are giving me a lot more for my trade). After all is said and done, I would save about $10K getting the used MYP.

Even though they are different animals, I think I will be happy either way.

Get the one that makes you smile more!