Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model Y performance vs long range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’m in the market to purchase either a 2021 performance or a long range model Y. I don’t see significant price differences between the two. Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about both cars. Is this just basically a difference between a little more range vs more sporty look/faster car? Is there any other differences people have noticed? If your not consistently needing the extra range any reason not to go with the performance model?

Also, I didnt see huge differences between 2021 vs 2022. Any strong opinions about getting a 2022?

Thanks for the help!

Differences between MYP and MYLR
- Rear motor
- Brakes
- Suspension
- Headlights (some MYLR receive MYP headlights for now. Parts shortage.)
- Wheels and tires
- Rear spoiler
- 0-60, max speed limit, ground clearance

2021 vs 2022. The biggest differences IMO are new Ryzen chip and new Li-Ion 12v battery. Keep in mind that some 2021 cars got these updates and some early 2022 cars didn't.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
Also note that at some unknown time the suspensions in both MYP and MYLR got tweaked significantly. So much so that people with newer MYPs say their MYP is a better ride than their early model MYLR they owned before. This change probably happened in early 2022 but it isn't clear. So the 2021 MYP you are looking at probably has a very firm (harsh? YMMV) ride where as the newer MYLR may have the updated suspension and have a much smoother ride. If the 2022 MYLR you are looking for is brand new then it will have a nice suspension (my 5 day old one is great). If you can test drive the 2021 MYP that would be useful.

The basic question is do you want range/comfort or performance. Thats really it unless you also want to take looks into account.

If you dont care about beating someone at a stoplight, I'd suggest the LR unless you care about looks. 21" wheels, on a lower sitting car with a spoiler generally look better than 19s on a car sitting up higher with wheel covers.

Reactions: Cyberspeed