Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y phone key stopped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I generally use only my phone key to drive the vehicle. Yesterday mid-drive the car started telling me "No key detected" and that it wouldn't be able to restart after parking. Sure enough, after parking it wouldn't detect my phone as a key. The really odd part is it would still unlock the doors as I approach the vehicle, but it wouldn't let me "start" it. I don't think it's an app power setting since the auto unlock feature was working. Fortunately, I had my physical key card with me so I was able to get home. I tried rebooting my phone, restarting the car screen, none of it worked. Ultimately had to delete my phone key off the car and re-pair it. Anybody have this issue? Seems like a serious problem if you rely on the phone key.

It's unfortunate that you experienced this issue, hopefully there's a reason for this happening.

Is it possible that your phone might be the issue? If the bluetooth connection on your phone gets disabled (switched off by accident, low power mode, etc) or malfunctions then I can see why you might get the alert.

In the event bluetooth connection failure occurs either on the car or phone, NFC on the phone key should be the second option. However one should always carry the key card at all times as advised in the user manual.

1681317272109.png

1681317439070.png

It's unfortunate that you experienced this issue, hopefully there's a reason for this happening.

Is it possible that your phone might be the issue? If the bluetooth connection on your phone gets disabled (switched off by accident, low power mode, etc) or malfunctions then I can see why you might get the alert.

In the event bluetooth connection failure occurs either on the car or phone, NFC on the phone key should be the second option. However one should always carry the key card at all times as advised in the user manual.

View attachment 927689

View attachment 927691
I really don't see how it could be the phone, both mine and my wife's phone stopped working. and like I said in the original post, walking up to the car and grabbing the door handle still unlocked the car like normal. So the car clearly knows the phone is there, nearby, and connected. It just refused to start the vehicle using the phone.

I really don't see how it could be the phone, both mine and my wife's phone stopped working. and like I said in the original post, walking up to the car and grabbing the door handle still unlocked the car like normal. So the car clearly knows the phone is there, nearby, and connected. It just refused to start the vehicle using the phone.
Check if you have an associated alert for the error

Open a service ticket via Tesla app about your issue

Search for bluetooth issue threads for more info

I generally use only my phone key to drive the vehicle. Yesterday mid-drive the car started telling me "No key detected" and that it wouldn't be able to restart after parking. Sure enough, after parking it wouldn't detect my phone as a key. The really odd part is it would still unlock the doors as I approach the vehicle, but it wouldn't let me "start" it. I don't think it's an app power setting since the auto unlock feature was working. Fortunately, I had my physical key card with me so I was able to get home. I tried rebooting my phone, restarting the car screen, none of it worked. Ultimately had to delete my phone key off the car and re-pair it. Anybody have this issue? Seems like a serious problem if you rely on the phone key.
I haven't had that issue but one time I had an issue where one of my key cards somehow got deactivated after replacing the center console plate. I called Tesla about it and fortunately as long as one of your 2 key cards that they give you is working, you can set up your 2nd key card to get that working again. I think its a rare occasion. Luckily for me since I use Android, I can pair my phone and smart watch as keys in case I lost my phone for some reason.

Sounds like an issue for (a) TESLA technician(s) to address.

I am having the same problem, now almost every day. What works for me is to stop the app on the iPhone and then reload it.

Reactions: fredzos
this just happened to me this morning.

i was able to unlock the car and enter when i approach with my iphone with me, but my card was required to start and drive.

never had this problem before. had the car since february of last year.

I get this from time to time, since the beginning (10/2021). Closing the app on my phone and re-opening the app usually fixes it. Sometimes I have to restart the phone.It's really weird, if the key's not detected, why did you let me open the door?

One time I had to remove the phone key from the app and re-pair it. Apple iphone 13 and 14. Wife's iphones never had a problem.

Reactions: fredzos