Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y Rear-Ended, literally does not turn on and adjuster says damage is 9k- need help with DV claim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who cares what the adjuster says / guesstimates?

Insurance is going to pay the full repair bill unless you have crappy insurance. Speculating as to what it'll actually be is just spinning your self up and speculating for no reason. With all due respect to my fellow TMC members, not a single person here is going to be able to tell you whether or not the initial guesstimate is close to the actual repair costs without physically seeing the vehicle.
I totally agree, I didn’t ask for help on guessing the damage costs though lol, I asked for help on dv claim 😅

Reactions: Corndart
Thank you all for your help & experiences. I am going to let the claim rep handling my case know that I will be filing a diminished value claim as well as the adjuster.
Since it is most likely to be repaired, I found one of the best appraisers in LA, will contact them when I have a list of total repairs.
I have also found an attorney as well - in case the other party’s insurance does not settle

Hi Everyone,
My 2021 Model Y got rear-ended on the 405 freeway in Los Angeles last week. The hit pushed my car into the car in front of me. I have the footage from Tesla dashcam and it is pretty clear the person who hit me was on their phone and did not break at all, came in at full speed. The car was working after the accident but just completely went offline an hour later and has been offline ever since. It has been at the tow yard for over a week now (not even sure how they got it there lol); but there have been a few tow truck drivers attempt at transporting it to the body shop from the tow yard but they are unsuccessful.
This is my first car and my first accident so I am not sure what I am supposed to do. The insurance adjuster went to the tow yard today and said damage is only 9K... the car just does not turn on though and I am hoping it is a total loss when the body shop looks at it internally. If not, I definitely will file a DV claim but if anyone has any experience in that, please let me know how it went for you. I researched about it but there are a lot of different things being said on how to go about it and I am a little confused, I don't want to get lawyers involved but will if I have to.
I attached photos below... it truly sucks when this stuff happens and you didn't even do anything, you just have to deal with the aftermath.. so inconvenient with finals coming up.
You guys in the US are lucky. In Canada there is no such thing as diminished value.

First, let them know you plan to claim diminished value.
Second, complete all the repairs since there may be additional damage discovered or their estimate is wrong.
After you have final bill you can submit that bill to plenty of DV claim companies online and for about $250-300 they will produce you diminished value.
Some insurance companies will do DV estimates on their own and offer to reimburse you, but most will ask for DV estimate. Because they feel it will discourage you from submitting it.
Some may accept Carvana trade in value difference between damaged and not damaged estimate, but most won’t.
It will be interesting to see DV in this crazy used car market.