Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be the app, or something else? That said the Model Y had a 75 KWH battery of which 72.5 KWH is considered "useable". That's a roughly 5 KWH difference. If you take the 77 KWH and add 5 you would get to 82 KWH...coincidence? Fluke? Not sure but will be interesting to see.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The yellow sticker under the frunk cover on mine says 74 kWh.
20201207_114940.jpg

Reactions: Iceman23
Maybe a dumb question, but isn't it supposed to only have 75kWh? So the fact it has more means it is a bigger size? I'm not sure but wouldn't some percentage of the battery be reserved so even if the car goes to 0% there is technically still power?
It's 77.8 kWh. They report it as 75 but there's a "zero mile" buffer, so essentially the car has a reserve like you see in gas vehicles when the fuel light comes on.

When I multiply my Wh/mi and range from the display and divide that by the percent charged, I consistently get 71.5 - 72 kWh. What are you all seeing from this calculation? (12xxx VIN, 5800 miles)

I know charging loss for AC to DC is somewhere around 8-10%. Not sure how much loss is for DC to DC. But I think it’s small if the wire gauge is low. I charged my Y on a DC 50kW charger.

I use the same charger on my daughter’s Chevy Bolt and get about 58kWh which is correct for usable portion of the 60kWh battery. Now the Tesla could have been using some of that energy to cool the battery, but the fan didn’t turn on super high.

CF863051-4372-4098-BD13-7932731B4CE5.jpeg

Is Teslafi an accurate way of determining this? Here are the stats from a recent charging session on my 2021 Y (VIN 70XXX).

If I calculate that 44% added 33.63 kWh of usable capacity then I get 76.43 kWh of total usable capacity at 100% this seems to be more than the 72.5 kWh usable I thought the Y originally had, but I don't know if this is an accurate way of doing it or if I’m missing something.

Edit: Going back and calculating off of prior charge sessions using this method and I get total usable battery amounts anywhere from 75-79 kWh.

Last edited:
They may be seeing different results because we are expecting a 82KWh battery in the 2021 Model Y "soon".

View attachment 615627
Is Teslafi an accurate way of determining this? Here are the stats from a recent charging session on my 2021 Y (VIN 70XXX).

If I calculate that 44% added 33.63 kWh of usable capacity then I get 76.43 kWh of total usable capacity at 100% this seems to be more than the 72.5 kWh usable I thought the Y originally had, but I don't know if this is an accurate way of doing it or if I’m missing something.

Edit: Going back and calculating off of prior charge sessions using this method and I get total usable battery amounts anywhere from 75-79 kWh.

I suspect at this point that the 2021 Model Ys being produced have the same 82 kWh pack that the refreshed Model 3 does, which in turn has a usable capacity somewhere around 78-79 kWh. I think we all get confused between the raw pack rating and the usable rating, and the difference seems to be about 5% in general. The previous pack appears to be 74 kWh with 71-72kWh usable.

My big question at this point is whether Tesla has another efficiency software upgrade in the works for the Model Y or if this is where we stand for a while. When the pack change occurred, the Model 3 LR saw an approximately 10% boost in range (322 mi -> 353 mi), whereas the Model Y LR got an approximately 3% boost from a 9% pack size change (316 mi -> 325 mi). The Model 3's could be bigger because of the heat pump and whatever else was included in the refresh though.