Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the previous post, however there is one major caveat: it will get you the battery capacity what the BMS thinks it has. So it will only be accurate in case the BMS properly tracked the real battery degradation, which we all know it doesn't do very well unless you frequently go from high (e.g. 90-95%) to low (e.g. 10-20%) charge levels.

BTW: for a brand-new car you'd expect the BMS to be correct, when I got my car it showed 316 miles of range which was 0% degradation at that time (now it's 326).

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
it will get you the battery capacity what the BMS thinks it has. So it will only be accurate in case the BMS properly tracked the real battery degradation, which we all know it doesn't do very well unless you frequently go from high (e.g. 90-95%) to low (e.g. 10-20%) charge levels.

This is true (and it's why I left the 1kWh "gap" in the numbers in the post, between "expected" and "reject"). I suppose this should have been caveat #3! I don't know exactly how accurate the BMS will be for a brand new vehicle - whether they run any calibrations, etc. - and in fact it may likely be less accurate if they don't do anything like that. That being said, I checked my range prior to signing for the car - it showed to project to the promised 310 (which for my car calculated to 76kWh, even thought the battery likely had more capacity than that - the 77-78kWh I mentioned). And it stayed at that level for a good 6-8 months or so.

Also, I meant to say true *available* battery capacity. Capacity unlocks are sometimes possible - you won't be able to see those might be possible, with this method.

Still, I would personally be very wary of taking delivery of a car that showed substantially less than expected via this method (taking all these caveats into account). I just feel like why take the risk....

I should also add that my energy estimate on my car has ALWAYS been really really consistent, even though I rarely drive below 60% SoC or so. Every now and again I take a long road trip with deep cycling, but there's never any significant variation on the projected 100% range in between these trips, and what it projects as the 100% range is what it always charges to (now 288 miles) when I charge to 100%.

So the BMS weirdness doesn't apply to every car - but it clearly exists on some cars.

when I got my car it showed 316 miles of range which was 0% degradation at that time (now it's 326).

I don't follow Model Y - and you have a 2020 - was there an update to the constant or what? I am not able to discern from this statement whether the change you saw was due to BMS energy estimate issues, a capacity unlock, or a constant change. (The method above is agnostic of the constant.)

I don't even remember what the 2020 Model Y EPA range was. Or whether it got updated after initial release, or what. If it got updated after initial release, it would be a constant change, and if that is what caused your range change, that 316->326 change probably didn't change your energy. I think that's what you're saying but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
There was an 'efficiency' update that changed the EPA range from 316 to 326 (for the LR), can't remember exactly when that happened, a few months ago. Indeed I believe that wasn't done by tweaking e,g, the battery reserve, but just by improving efficiency in motor control.

BTW: my battery 'EPA' range now is around 300 miles, which is extremely unlikely to be accurate considering I only have 4.5K miles, and avoid putting the battery in known bad conditions (like leaving it charged at 100%). I used to keep the charge level between 50 and 80%, now try to let it go lower before charging, and occasionally charge it to 90%. Also it doesn't get below 55F in my garage, it's not cold in San Diego :)

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
EPA range from 316 to 326

I assume that was not reflected in your displayed rated range (though you may have got the efficiency update in software, and it said so).

BTW: my battery 'EPA' range now is around 300 miles, which is extremely unlikely to be accurate considering I only have 4.5K miles,

Going from 316rmi to 300rmi in 4.5k miles would be possible (time is a factor too). If you use above technique I’d expect that you’d get 74kWh. And that is what SMT would say too most likely.

And while certainly these numbers can be off, if you had the same situation as I have on my BMS, you’d find that was the actually usable value (well, closer to 70kWh for 100 to 0% but that is because of the ~3kWh (4.5%) reserve below 0%).

Obviously, to find out, just do a couple deep discharges on a road trip (which is the only time it matters anyway) and if it stays roughly the same, then that is where you are at.

Anyway, for this thread, sounds like the answer is probably around 78kWh from SMT for the AWD, and between 80 and 81kWh for the Performance. When new. That would be the same result as is being seen on 2021 Model 3 in the US.

I went from 316 to 300 in 5500 miles. Using the energy screen calculation or the Teslafi energy/(added %) calculation, I get ~72.5 kWh. The sticker under my frunk cover says 74 kWh. Seems pretty typical to me. I suspect I could convince the BMS that I had more capacity with deep charges if it that was important to me. 12xxx VIN.

I assume that was not reflected in your displayed rated range (though you may have got the efficiency update in software, and it said so).
Actually it did, after that software update the 100% charge displayed a higher number of miles.

All in all, I'm not worried about the perceived degradation. Note that 326 to 300 (it's not based on the original 316 EPA range anymore since that software update changed the EPA range) would be an 8% degradation, which IMHO is very unlikely. ABRP show 76.9 kWh of battery capacity but no idea where it reads that from (or maybe it calculates it based on consumption history vs. battery state of charge).

which IMHO is very unlikely.

It's not unheard of in that timeframe. Depends on how old the car is, and luck of the draw. I know a friend with a Model 3 who lost 10% in the first 6-9 months of ownership, and it's stayed that way. And it's definitely gone for him (after road trips, etc.), and there's definitely less energy available. (It could have been just 8% though - maybe he started with 2% less than most people.). It's fine. Just luck of the draw. And he hasn't lost any significant capacity since.

But anyway, easiest way to check is to just do a couple deep discharges on a road trip. If it's not there after that, it's not there. It could, maybe, come back, at some point, but unlikely, and you'll see the loss on the trip meter if you keep track carefully.

As you say, though, it's not unheard of for there to be a (temporary) estimate discrepancy either. I'd guess the chances are 50% estimate issue, where you recover something like half of that loss, and 50% chance it's just a normal 8% loss.

Anyway, don't want to derail the discussion of battery size via SMT, with (another) discussion of degradation. Point is that SMT will give the approximate values of 80-81kWh for 2021 Performance, and 77-78kWh for AWD, as I understand it. And you don't need SMT; if the new vehicle BMS estimate is accurate (along with the other caveats outlined), you can use the method outlined above, to make sure you start with a car with a battery with capacity on the higher end. Definitely worth checking (and you may even be able to compare to other vehicles at the delivery center, if you're wily about it - or just check with other new owners you know before you actually pick up the vehicle).

Someone asked whether there's a way to check capacity on a new vehicle when you pick it up, which would mean no SMT, and with the outlined caveats, there is.

Last edited:
SMT will be able to recognize the larger battery pack. This is a screen shot from a user in Europe.
upload_2020-12-27_10-26-4.png

SMT will be able to recognize the larger battery pack. This is a screen shot from a user in Europe.
View attachment 621448

Yep. And for those reading along “the Full Pack When New” may represent the maximum possible capacity of the pack, or it may not. It’s somewhat disconnected from the actual “when new” capacity, which is currently between 80 and 81kWh. It is possible that some capacity is locked out right now, and that is the reason for the discrepancy. Important to know that some identical packs show nominal full pack of 79.5kWh capacity when new, and others show 80.4kWh when new, but all the ones I have seen show “82.1kWh” for “full pack when new.”

It’s just a programmed value which may represent maximum capacity, or may not. But the maximum capacity is in the ball park. This value was right around 78kWh for the prior pack version.

So look at “Nominal Full Pack” and don’t calculate capacity loss from “Full Pack When New”. Probably best to use 80.5kWh as the starting value for now. As I said, it is possible there is a small capacity lock right now (on the order of 1kWh). If that lock is unlocked, then a new value would need to be used for capacity loss calculations. We’ll see. I’m not sure how likely that unlock is.

So: the calculation of “battery degradation” from SMT is not correct in this context, currently, especially for the Performance.

Last edited:
My Model Y is scheduled for delivery in 2 days. I am wondering if I should delay it and wait for confirmation that it has the 82 kWh battery.
I've loved my Y so so much every minute since delivery to my remote driveway 9/30/20, I'm not sweating a few degrees here or there with the battery. Just charge it up when it needs... car will fly you everywhere. :)

My understanding is these stickers no longer include the battery size.

The -0L- on the label, between the part number and revision code, seems to indicate that the battery is the nominal 82.1kWh version (more like 80-81kWh now, with a max of 81.5kWh reported via SMT for a Model 3 Performance so far). Presumably Model Y Performance will be similar.

Reactions: scottf200
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance range test
Jan 1, 2021

4:25
AdAWoAV.jpg

Yes, this demonstrates roughly what we'd expect to see on a Model Y Performance.

Just note that "full pack when new," as you might expect, does not reflect what people are seeing for the full pack when it is new. It's just a number coded with the vehicle, that isn't related to where the particular vehicle "starts" at (all Performance I have seen have had 82.1kWh for this value).

Capacities are 79kWh to 81.5kWh (reported), so far. (These are all readings from brand new vehicles from SMT, or calculated from the range displayed at 100% charge.) Most new vehicles have close to the 80-80.6kWh shown in this image.

That is confusing. Which new vehicles and starting from approx'ly when?

Sorry. Implicitly was talking about most Model 3 Performance here (which would also apply to Model Y Performance based on the EPA results).

This started with 2021 vehicles.

The LR AWD non-P just have the smaller normal battery (it’s actually more complicated than that in Europe).

Reactions: scottf200