Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 model Y scan my Tesla battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The LR AWD non-P just have the smaller normal battery (it’s actually more complicated than that in Europe).
Thx. I'm pretty sure I recall Bjørn Nyland mentioning in the above video (FYI, I watch at x1.5+) that there are some indications that some non-P are getting the larger battery but it is software limited. I don't recall how that was being determined.

I'm pretty sure I recall Bjørn Nyland mentioning in the above video (FYI, I watch at x1.5+) that there are some indications that some non-P are getting the larger battery but it is software limited.

I have not seen any evidence of that so far. I don’t have the patience to watch all of these videos though. There is evidence of software-limited batteries on the AWD (limited to around 75.5kWh out of 77.8kWh).

I have little doubt that eventually there will be a non-Performance trim that receives a denser battery. But no evidence yet. I would think they would charge extra for it, unless they swap all cell lines to the 2170L.

wish there was a 2021 MYP near me so I can hook my reader and use the SMT app. I have a feeling they have the 81 kWh pack and don't even know it.

As described above, there is no reason to do this. It’s easy for any owner to assess their pack capacity within about 0.5kWh, without any SMT needed. Energy Consumption screen, the three or four numbers. Etc. Details above.

You need SMT, if you want more detail and precision on what is going on, or what may be possible in future. (SMT is very useful for understanding exactly what the car is doing but it really is not needed for just the pack capacity, since the car tells you that nearly directly.)

Last edited:
2021 MYP built on Dec, 11th. VIN 79XXX. Scan My Tesla is showing 82kWh battery pack.

Attachments

• IMG_1480.jpg
    IMG_1480.jpg
    493.2 KB · Views: 367
2021 MYP built on Dec, 11th. VIN 79XXX. Scan My Tesla is showing 82kWh battery pack.

To be clear, it is showing an 80.7kWh pack. Not 82.1kWh. That 82.1kWh is just a number. It MAY represent the ultimate nominal pack capacity, but no vehicle has been reported with that much capacity. Max I have heard is about 81.5kWh.

As usual, brand new batteries vary from about 79kWh to about 81.5kWh. Every battery is different, of course.

You do not have 2% degradation. Yet.

Full Pack When New: Coded value. Not specific to your particular pack. Just your pack type.

Nominal Full Pack: key value, can adjust after charging.
Nominal Remaining: Remaining energy including buffer below 0% (which is usable)
Usable Remaining: remaining excluding buffer

SoC: Usable / (Nominal full - buffer)
SoC expected: I think accounts for temp effects in some way. Can’t remember.

Last edited:
It's showing 82.1 kWh - towards the bottom, Full pack when new.

Yes, as I said, that is a hard-coded value, not reflective of your pack original capacity or health. It just means you have the larger pack (not the 77.8kWh pack), as everyone expected.

80.7kWh seems to be an above average report. I expect you would show the vehicle max mileage at a full charge (though not 100% sure for Model Y). No degradation should be visible for now.

I repeat the 82.1kWh may represent the max (nominal) possible for this pack, and it may have 1kWh “hard” locked out or so, but the only way to tell would be to charge to 100% and look at cell voltages in SMT when the vehicle is not charging (open-circuit voltages).

So perhaps in the future (no idea), they could unlock that kWh, and then new packs would start with ~80kWh to ~82.5kWh capacity. Again, have to know what current cell voltages at 100% are, to assess likelihood.

The reason for them to do this for now is safety, for a new pack cell. But it looks fairly close to fully unlocked, in any case. Obviously initial pack variation is much higher than the 1kWh which might be on the table.

Last edited:
As described above, there is no reason to do this. It’s easy for any owner to assess their pack capacity within about 0.5kWh, without any SMT needed. Energy Consumption screen, the three or four numbers. Etc. Details above.

You need SMT, if you want more detail and precision on what is going on, or what may be possible in future. (SMT is very useful for understanding exactly what the car is doing but it really is not needed for just the pack capacity, since the car tells you that nearly directly.)
Thanks for the post link as I haven't been following this thread very long and didn't go thru all pages.

I am confused about the formula usage tho on a software limited battery which is what I mentioned Bjørn saying.
ie. do you think the formula you used would show '60' values or '75' values on Tesla Model S 60D that was software limited and could be upgraded to 75D battery.

I am confused about the formula usage tho on a software limited battery which is what I mentioned Bjørn saying.

The method will calculate the limited values. The only way you would see the full achievable capacity (which is not achievable unless Tesla allows it) is to have a CAN bus readback (which would show it as an incomplete charge and also a low cell voltage due to the soft cap).

So, it would not show an AWD non-P with an 82.1kWh nameplate capacity (if they existed, which I think they don’t), to have 82kWh. The method would result in closer to 77.8kWh.

Or in the case of 2021 soft-locked European Model 3s, would show 75kWh rather than 77.8kWh.

However, for the purposes of establishing what your actual usable capacity is, the method described will work.

Also, a soft cap is very very obvious by looking at the regen available at 100% charge. If you have none, and the battery is decently warm, then you have a fully charged battery. On the other hand, no matter what the temperature, if you show significant regen at 100%, you definitely have a software-capped battery (there is no other explanation).

These regen limitations and lack thereof are really really obvious if you have experienced a battery at 100% before.

So, what I am saying is, you don’t HAVE to have SMT to figure out what is the case on any particular vehicle.

That being said, I have seen NO report of an 82.1kWh nameplate pack being installed on a regular AWD trim level. Yet.

The other option, of course, is just to take a look at the battery label, which is relatively easy without any disassembly or climbing under the car required (at least for Model 3).

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I’m still hoping Tesla pulls a magic trick out and unlocks that few extra kWh in my battery pack (hoping it’s the new cells) lol

You can just turn the front wheels to the left, stick that phone WAY up high above the suspension piece behind the right front wheel, direct the lens down toward the front of the battery pack, take a brightly lit picture, and then you’ll know. Works on Model 3 anyway. If it’s not a -0L- pack, then no joy.

I’m reasonably sure you don’t have the 2170L cells based on your reported SMT readback results, though. So I wouldn’t waste your time!

Last edited:
Aside:
There is. Assuming the car is delivered at a decent SoC (above 80%):
Switch to Car -> Display -> Energy Display Mode => Energy
Then go to ^ -> Energy->Consumption screen, select "5 mile, average" and calculate:
Battery Capacity @ 100% (in Wh) = Avg Wh/mi * Projected Range / SoC% ...
I played with this formula on my '17 X100D. It matches the Scan My Tesla (SMT) 'Nominal full pack'' value. It doesn't seem matter if you use 5/15/30 projected range scale.

Here is the right keywords in Wolfram Alpha and Google 'search' calculator to get 'kWh' format as the output. I'm sure many knew this but both are handy.
URL link: (118 mi) * (477 Wh/mi) / 0.79 in kWh - Wolfram|Alpha
URL link: 118 mi *477 Wh/mi / 0.79 in kWh - Google Search

EskJvg4.jpg

Below is from 4-Jan-2021 and the 'Nominal full pack' matches the 'est. kWh 100%' column above.
K0HQSXZ.jpg

Aside:

I played with this formula on my '17 X100D. It matches the Scan My Tesla (SMT) 'Nominal full pack'' value. It doesn't seem matter if you use 5/15/30 projected range scale.

Here is the right keywords in Wolfram Alpha and Google 'search' calculator to get 'kWh' format as the output. I'm sure many knew this but both are handy.
URL link: (118 mi) * (477 Wh/mi) / 0.79 in kWh - Wolfram|Alpha
URL link: 118 mi *477 Wh/mi / 0.79 in kWh - Google Search

EskJvg4.jpg

Below is from 4-Jan-2021 and the 'Nominal full pack' matches the 'est. kWh 100%' column above.
K0HQSXZ.jpg

Yeah, it's pretty great! Something everyone who is going to pick up a new car should know how to apply, with all the detailed knowledge of the several extremely important caveats. I personally wouldn't sign for a new car that didn't check out within 0.5kWh of what I expected for a new vehicle (the target numbers are well known, and in any case can be easily calculated from the EPA range declaration and the in-car display). Someone else can have a car that doesn't measure up! Most cars will measure up from what I can tell - but there are exceptions, and there's obviously a normal distribution of initial capacities.